Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance telematics?
I believe these were first spotted back in April
And more recently from a few days ago reverse engineered from the Tesla App
My theory of why I haven't been invited to FSD beta ;) is because I use Autopilot "too much" including on city streets with street parking where probably at least once a day, Autopilot will confuse a parked car as the lead car at the very last moment and display a Forward Collision Warning. Or if I disengage Autosteer to prevent Autopilot from getting too close to a parked car, it often displays a Lane Departure Warning because the steering wheel is now suddenly pointing to cross the line even if I don't actually leave the lane.

Hopefully for actual insurance premium calculations, Tesla Insurance will learn to filter out these inaccurate "false positive" telematics or maybe FSD will be more widely available then, and Autopilot will know to move around parked vehicles.

Wonder if they will be smart enough to filter these out while in Track mode and/or when not on a public road. Many of those statistics will look terrible for anyone that tracks the car even if they are perfectly reasonable on the street (and are probably better drivers overall).

I love that Tesla is simultaneously advertising the fastest 0-60 time of any production car ever while also considering raising insurance rates for anyone that ever actually uses it.

Hot take being even more optimistic than Elon himself! ;)

(He said v9 FSD is two weeks after the next vision only production release, which is not out yet)
That raises a question. Is it possible that (as some have speculated) the 2021.4.18.x variants are running 'vision only'? How will we know when the 'vision only production release' is actually out in the wild?

In any event I openly admit that my post was pure optimistic wishful hopefulness. Like others I'm getting tired of the same old just another 2 weeks.

On Sunday 6/6/21, Elon said "one more production" vision release.

On Thursday 6/10/21, there were reports of 18.3:

18.3 is likely the production release Elon was talking about, so 1-2 more weeks from the week of 6/6/21 is anywhere from:

6/13/21 to 6/26/21

If Tesla releases V9 on 6/15, then it wouldn't be late compared to Elon's last 2 timeline tweets about it.

Reactions: n.one.one
Given nobody has reported that it removes any of the missing features or limits, it's very interesting that Elon would focus on this as an important step on the way to v9 FSD.

V9 FSD is mostly focused on city streets, which are well below 75mph, so as long as vision is working well for 75mph and below (seems like it does so far), it would make sense.

The only "real" missing feature is 90mph.

V9 FSD is mostly focused on city streets, which are well below 75mph, so as long as vision is working well for 75mph and below (seems like it does so far), it would make sense.
The thing most like city streets is smart summon, which is still missing. As well as lane departure, which seems pretty baseline for city driving too. I still don't get why they can supposedly drive around a whole city by themselves, but not a parking lot at 5 mph.

But I meant more that it's interesting Tesla felt they needed to change something in the non-radar cars, which is not important enough to call out to customers, before they could release the v9 Beta. Seems if non-radar was working fine, you wouldn't need an update, and you'd just use that to move on.

The fact they need an update, then two weeks for v9 makes it seem like data collection is a goal. Or, umm, Elon is just hoping that v9 is two weeks away like he has for a long time now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Given nobody has reported that it removes any of the missing features or limits, it's very interesting that Elon would focus on this as an important step on the way to v9 FSD.
It could have a lot to do with AP engineering resources. l'm guessing that the folks working on v9 Vision City Streets were re-prioritized in Q1 to retrofit existing AP features as Vision-only implementations. BTW this also explains why the "one more" 8.x Beta never happened, and Elon said there was no point since Vision-only is upcoming.

Basically City Streets development was put on the shelf for this re-focus, though useful parts of it were folded into the AP retrofit. A reversal of the status quo ante, where people had been complaining that City Streets Beta coolness was not showing up or doing anything for long-standing deficiencies of released AP.

It's speculation but quite consistent with the whole response-to-radar-shortage theory. As the emergency retrofit activity winds down, resources return to the v9 project - that explains the "important step on the way to v9" connection. Possibly one benefit (or complication if you prefer) will be that the various AP features are now more interrelated and can move forward together. Smart Summon for example could soon become less of a risky demo and more of a dependable feature, as you mentioned:

The thing most like city streets is smart summon, which is still missing. As well as lane departure, which seems pretty baseline for city driving too. I still don't get why they can supposedly drive around a whole city by themselves, but not a parking lot at 5 mph.

But I meant more that it's interesting Tesla felt they needed to change something in the non-radar cars, which is not important enough to call out to customers, before they could release the v9 Beta...

It's speculation but quite consistent with the whole response-to-radar-shortage theory. As the emergency retrofit activity winds down, resources return to the v9 project - that explains the "important step on the way to v9" connection.
Oh, if you are in the "radar was removed suddenly due to supply chain constraints," everything makes sense (except the chance they have v9 out in two weeks).

It's when you come from the "Tesla has been working on vision only for 3 years, it's what Elon always wanted, they only removed radar now on some of the cars because clearly they know vision will work no problem, and the feature removals are just them being conservative" that all this looks weird.

Oh, if you are in the "radar was removed suddenly due to supply chain constraints," everything makes sense (except the chance they have v9 out in two weeks).

It's when you come from the "Tesla has been working on vision only for 3 years, it's what Elon always wanted, they only removed radar now on some of the cars because clearly they know vision will work no problem, and the feature removals are just them being conservative" that all this looks weird.

I'm more in the first-paragraph camp than in the second, as you can see from my post when this all broke. However, as I said in there I think the internal thinking was somewhat between these alternatives.

Not exactly so sudden; they knew of an impending radar-module supply problem well before we did. And yes there's some history of Elon hinting radar depreciation a long rime ago. But I think the decision and timeline was re-planned under pressure starting at least in 1Q, well before external signs of trouble.

Understand that I am not saying Elon was prescient and in no way am I concocting a defense of this mess. I'm saying what I think probably really happened. A pressured but also somewhat consistent re-strategizing, a spin in what little public explanation was offered, and an ongoing cleanup that one hopes will turn out OK, though with ample reason for concern (or glee or vindication depending on one's motivations).

As well as lane departure, which seems pretty baseline for city driving too.

Lane departure is available on vision cars. Emergency lane departure avoidance isn't. The emergency one is more for severe situations when a collision is imminent.

Screenshot_20210611-170950_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike

Both things can be true though. Elon definitely wants the system to be vision only, he has said thst repeatedly. There was also a supply pressure on the radar units. So mix it together and what you get out of it is well, this slop.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru