Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get the whining. It will come when it is ready. It is not that FSD is a solved problem and is already available with other automakers, and only Tesla is struggling to do. They are pushing the boundaries. They will encounter new issues, and it will get delayed.

Just relax and enjoy the journey to FSD.

I think the issue is that Elon promised that L5 was right around the corner for years. Folks who bought FSD in 2016 or 2018 thought that Tesla was close to L5.

The second issue is that it seems we kept getting teased about getting FSD Beta but it gets delayed or the rules change for getting it. First, FSD Beta was only for a select youtubers. We can watch videos but we don't get FSD Beta. Then, after months, Elon promises everybody would get a button in 10 days. Then it gets delayed because it is not ready yet. Then finally Elon says the button will go out and it does. But the button is just to request it and we have to pass a safety score to get FSD Beta. Then Elon says that everybody with a score of 100 will get FSD Beta. Then, we learn that only some people who got 100 actually got FSD Beta. Now, we have to wait until 10.3 and maybe people with 99 will get it. It's just a constant waiting, being told we will get it and then not getting it.

Personally, I am feeling rather discouraged. I really want FSD Beta and have been waiting a long time for it and paid for FSD but with a score of 97, I will probably have to wait weeks or months even. And it is entirely possible that Elon will change his mind again and decide that they have enough testers and people with 97 won't get FSD beta at all, even though he promised. Maybe if I can get my score up to 98 or 99 in the next week or so, maybe I will get FSD Beta. I basically have to play a safety score game for weeks and hope my lucky number comes up to get something I paid for years ago. I actually avoid watching too many FSD Beta videos because I don't want to be reminded of what I don't have yet.

Last edited:
You always try to revise history and cover for Elon and say well he actually meant when that’s complete total lie. You do this all the same. Everyone knew what Elon said and meant. You wait weeks later when it fails to try to correct the record as @Matias has pointed out
Total lie? I'm quoting exactly what he tweeted. This was all reported back then and the articles just straight combined the two tweets:
"Wow, lot of interest in FSD beta! Plan is to roll out version 10.2 midnight Friday, then on-ramp ~1000 owners/day, prioritized by safety rating. First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc."
Tesla plans to add ~1,000 new Full Self-Driving Beta testers per day based on 'safety score'
You can see from the comments, plenty of people expected this to be another "two weeks" thing.

I went back to the actual tweet chain to verify if that was quoted correctly and it was in two separate tweets in response to a follow up question.

Reactions: boonedocks
I think the issue is that Elon promised that L5 was right around the corner for years. Folks who bought FSD in 2016 or 2018 thought that Tesla was close to L5.

The second issue is that it seems we kept getting teased about getting FSD Beta but it gets delayed or the rules change for getting it. First, FSD Beta was only for a select youtubers. We can watch videos but we don't get FSD Beta. Then, after months, Elon promises everybody would get a button in 10 days. Then it gets delayed because it is not ready yet. Then finally Elon says the button will go out and it does. But the button is just to request it and we have to pass a safety score to get FSD Beta. Then Elon says that everybody with a score of 100 will get FSD Beta. Then, we learn that only some people who got 100 actually got FSD Beta. Now, we have to wait until 10.3 and maybe people with 99 will get it. It's just a constant waiting, being told we will get it and then not getting it.

Personally, I am feeling rather discouraged. I really want FSD Beta and have been waiting a long time for it and paid for FSD but with a score of 97, I will probably have to wait weeks or months even. And it is entirely possible that Elon will change his mind again and decide that they have enough testers and people with 97 won't get FSD beta at all, even though he promised. Maybe if I can get my score up to 98 or 99 in the next week or so, maybe I will get FSD Beta. I basically have to play a safety score game for weeks and hope my lucky number comes up to get something I paid for years ago. I actually avoid watching too many FSD Beta videos because I don't want to be reminded of what I don't have yet.
@diplomat33 Back in early 2019, you may recall we got into a few passionate discussions around this and having rose-colored glasses, etc. Three years later, with more data available, we seem to be very aligned. I share your disappointment.

P.S. And I have had a prefect 100 score for more than a week and 1200 miles driven. No beta for me either, as they don’t seem to want to support their yoke cars (yet). @diplomat33

Exactly. In addition, the scoring thing is a POS. I’d like access too but I have to make an ongoing effort to qualify for what be for nothing. I have to drive at a crawl, hold up traffic, and then conversely push/run certain yellow lights. Get rid of the busted scoring system and the wait would be less frustrating. Clear messaging from Tesla on the program would also help. I get some decisions are dynamic, but there’s a lot of customer interest and they should really pay a little better attention to what they’re doing here.

Reactions: diplomat33
This 17 minute video by Rocco Speranza will give you an idea of why I refer to FSD Stress in my avatar. It has a combination of both good and bad FSD actions. He's certainly driving in a very challenging environment with narrow streets and lots of pedestrians. My driving hasn't had much of that but I've been driving in very heavy suburban Atlanta traffic. My 'white knuckle' syndrome is not as bad as the first day but stress and focus are still constant factors as of now.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and daktari
FSD Beta won't stay on one side of an unmarked road. It tries to center in the middle and only moves over when there is incoming traffic. This is a pretty big thing that Tesla needs to fix.

Yea from my personal experience, it’s been worse than production autosteer in this situation. It should hug the center line on the left instead.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33

Careful out there, hope it doesn't cost too much to repair
“You want to give it as much leeway as possible…to give it an opportunity to correct itself.”

Why do people believe this? There is zero benefit to exposing it to challenging situations and “seeing what it does” without intervening. What downside is there to intervening early and often? None that I know of!

It’s funny how he thinks he is out just $500-$600.

That is a ~$2k collision with 20” wheels.
CB03A257-C820-4302-9181-765955AB16AD.png

Last edited:
“You want to give it as much leeway as possible…to give it an opportunity to correct itself.”

Why do people believe this? There is zero benefit to exposing it to challenging situations and “seeing what it does” without intervening. What downside is there to intervening early and often? None that I know of!

his words...."it's only money" 🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

1634223095916.jpeg

Some of the FSD videos are trying to show how capable the system is, so I can understand if they are holding out on interventions as much as possible, and some of those owners have openly stated that when they are not making a video, they are intervening a lot more.

I've already seen older videos of FSD beta hitting curbs, and I don't plan to make videos for the public, so I'm going to intervene liberally!

Some of the FSD videos are trying to show how capable the system is, so I can understand if they are holding out on interventions as much as possible, and some of those owners have openly stated that when they are not making a video, they are intervening a lot more.

I've already seen older videos of FSD beta hitting curbs, and I don't plan to make videos for the public, so I'm going to intervene liberally!
I see. I feel like a video with lots of interventions would give me a much better idea of how capable the system is, but everyone wants to see different things I guess. I want to know about every accelerator override, sudden unexplained slowdown, steering intervention to give human-like behavior, etc. Fortunately now I can experience it for myself!

I have videos but have not posted them. Very low production value! Maybe sometime. Don’t have any decent ones yet really and have to work on my lively banter.

• Funny
Reactions: nvx1977
FSD Beta won't stay on one side of an unmarked road. It tries to center in the middle and only moves over when there is incoming traffic. This is a pretty big thing that Tesla needs to fix.

Is that actually a problem? What you describe is what most people do, but legally on an unmarked road it is all yours. all that is required is that you move to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.

I think we are going to experience many cases of what the law requires/allows conflicting with common practice.

Is that actually a problem? What you describe is what most people do, but legally on an unmarked road it is all yours. all that is required is that you move to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.

I think we are going to experience many cases of what the law requires/allows conflicting with common practice.
Its problematic when it sitting at a stop sign in the middle of the road with cars coming and turning and having to move around me

View attachment 721395

Those look fixable. Probably 600 - 800 to fix both. But those look like Tesla 20” wheels… should take that $ and replace them with something better.