Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that actually a problem?
If other drivers notice and consider slowing down, it is a big problem. Probably if it moved over a few seconds earlier it would be fine, though it is still a bit abnormal.

In these videos due to the fisheye lens, etc, it’s easy to misjudge how close the other vehicles are. The car was moving over as little as ~4 seconds prior to meeting the oncoming car!

Those look fixable. Probably 600 - 800 to fix both.
Yes, likely, if they are still balanced, but that is not the same as unblemished wheels - the ~$2k is the actual damage amount here.

Reactions: nvx1977
Is that actually a problem? What you describe is what most people do, but legally on an unmarked road it is all yours. all that is required is that you move to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.

I think we are going to experience many cases of what the law requires/allows conflicting with common practice.

In that video, it was a perfectly straight road. I have unmarked and very windy roads, and when the car hugs the center and the road is winding left, I am totally blind to oncoming traffic. I disengage in advance for every left curve because I don't want a head-on collision.

The video is a day old so maybe it has already been discussed.

Here we see a long semi truck that was partially blocking an intersection while it was making a right turn. But instead of slowing down and waiting for the truck to complete the turn, FSD Beta tries to go around and swerves in the middle of the intersection before making a left instead of going straight.

Here we see a long semi truck that was partially blocking an intersection while it was making a right turn. But instead of slowing down and waiting for the truck to complete the turn, FSD Beta tries to go around and swerves in the middle of the intersection before making a left instead of going straight.

Oh my....

This is an interesting one. We often judge FSD based on what a human would do. Clearly FSD did not act like a human. It deemed the straight path unpassable (which didn't seem to be the case; definitely worth reporting), so it made a split second decision to detour. But it will likely reroute and continue to get you to your destination. I thought it was a logical choice at the point FSD thought it had no straight route available, rather than coming to a stop for no good reason.

I'm also getting annoyed with this particular channel. The thumbnail is clickbaity, which indicates he's making this video in hopes of monetization. This was not a "close call" in any way. In another video, he gets curb rash while on FSD, which means he's not paying enough attention, or he's being stupid for not trying to intervene/disengage. Later he's cavalier about it, claiming it's NBD cause it's "just money."

The visualized pathing for fsd beta can be misleading at times… There have been many many times where 10.2 wants to go straight or turn right, but the visualized path shows something completely opposite. What typically happens is that the car uses the opposite path for 1 second to dodge some car or curb, then the path instantly updates to match the desired route. It’s very confusing if you constantly look at the visualization. Just as an example, fsd wanted to turn right out of a driveway, but there was a car parked close to the right of the driveway. When I looked at the path, the path was actually turning left… the car proceeded on that left turn path for 1 second and then updated to turn right into the road.

I wouldn’t call that video a “close call” at all. Very clickbaity.

Last edited:
Where are these promises from Elon?

I think the issue is that Elon promised that L5 was right around the corner for years. Folks who bought FSD in 2016 or 2018 thought that Tesla was close to L5.

The second issue is that it seems we kept getting teased about getting FSD Beta but it gets delayed or the rules change for getting it. First, FSD Beta was only for a select youtubers. We can watch videos but we don't get FSD Beta. Then, after months, Elon promises everybody would get a button in 10 days. Then it gets delayed because it is not ready yet. Then finally Elon says the button will go out and it does. But the button is just to request it and we have to pass a safety score to get FSD Beta. Then Elon says that everybody with a score of 100 will get FSD Beta. Then, we learn that only some people who got 100 actually got FSD Beta. Now, we have to wait until 10.3 and maybe people with 99 will get it. It's just a constant waiting, being told we will get it and then not getting it.

Personally, I am feeling rather discouraged. I really want FSD Beta and have been waiting a long time for it and paid for FSD but with a score of 97, I will probably have to wait weeks or months even. And it is entirely possible that Elon will change his mind again and decide that they have enough testers and people with 97 won't get FSD beta at all, even though he promised. Maybe if I can get my score up to 98 or 99 in the next week or so, maybe I will get FSD Beta. I basically have to play a safety score game for weeks and hope my lucky number comes up to get something I paid for years ago. I actually avoid watching too many FSD Beta videos because I don't want to be reminded of what I don't have yet.

Reactions: rxlawdude
But instead of slowing down and waiting for the truck to complete the turn, FSD Beta tries to go around and swerves in the middle of the intersection before making a left instead of going straight.
Here is the issue Tesla is going to have.

From the AI day, my understanding is they use some kind of optimization / heuristics to pick the correct path out of hundreds based on various parameters like comfort, safety, time taken etc. Its difficult to affect particular outcomes compared to if they were using procedural code which used some kind of "if then else" logic to figure out what to do.

@diplomat33 Do you know whether Waymo and others use this kind of optimization techniques as well (my guess would be yes). AFAIK, nobody uses pure imitation learning for path planning.

Reactions: diplomat33
This representative of typical 10.2 drives in city:

Yes. I watched the first six minutes and it is quite representative.

A very hard and jerky initial turn is evident.

A hard slowdown at 3:10 (would feel unpleasant), entirely predictable and unnecessary - stopped traffic. Hard to see in the video - trust me, this would feel harsh.

A major jamming on of brakes around 4:30. Also entirely predictable and unnecessary - but a more difficult case. In any case the rapidity of slowing was excessive.

Veering all over the road at 6 minutes.

Anyway, entirely consistent with the current state of FSD Beta.

It’s unfortunate that he isn’t providing a running detailed commentary of exactly what he’s feeling when it would not be evident to viewers.

Yes. I watched the first six minutes and it is quite representative.

A very hard and jerky initial turn is evident.

A hard slowdown at 3:10 (would feel unpleasant), entirely predictable and unnecessary - stopped traffic. Hard to see in the video - trust me, this would feel harsh.

A major jamming on of brakes around 4:30. Also entirely predictable and unnecessary - but a more difficult case. In any case the rapidity of slowing was excessive.

Veering all over the road at 6 minutes.

Anyway, entirely consistent with the current state of FSD Beta.

It’s unfortunate that he isn’t providing a running detailed commentary of exactly what he’s feeling when it would not be evident to viewers.
Maybe I should count my blessings for not having received it!