Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then there is this one, in which you predicted that by July 2021 interventions would be down to one every 150k miles. I think you mentioned a couple days ago that you are intervening once every mile with the current Beta version.

Thanks for bringing that one up. If you look at the same day of that post, I was referring to geofenced routes, and it wasn't about interventions, it was about accidents...

I wonder why everyone is saying I said "interventions" when I never mentioned it. Please take context into consideration.

I'm not saying my prediction is currently right, but people are painting a false narrative about what I said.

2 Questions for those with FSD Beta..

1. I know FSD beta does not go in reverse. However, if I backed into my driveway (which is about 5 car lengths long), and I activate FSD to a certain destination, does FSD beta navigate the car out of the driveway and onto the street?

2. When arriving to a residential house destination using navigation with FSD Beta, where does the car stop/park? Does it stop in the middle of the street? Or does it somehow park along the side of the road where the house is located?

1. I know FSD beta does not go in reverse. However, if I backed into my driveway (which is about 5 car lengths long), and I activate FSD to a certain destination, does FSD beta navigate the car out of the driveway and onto the street?

2. When arriving to a residential house destination using navigation with FSD Beta, where does the car stop/park? Does it stop in the middle of the street? Or does it somehow park along the side of the road where the house is located?

1. Yes, it will drive from your driveway onto the road, but it might not do it gracefully. There are a few videos of driveway to road

2. Stop in middle

Reactions: mke23e

It's hit or miss whether it will engage in your driveway. The gray steering wheel has to be displayed before you can engage Beta. Sometimes its there, others not.

It should stop within 10 feet of where you position the destination. I mean stop. It doesn't park the car. You could engage autopark if you dare.

Reactions: mke23e

1. It might navigate out of your driveway or not. I’ve seen vids where it does so, but it can also screw that up.

2. It will stop in the street.

I have a 99 score as well, but I had to adjust my driving.

The Safety Score is both terribly thought out and terribly executed.

You're 100% correct in that speed doesn't have anything to do with the score, and you could drive 20-30mph over the speed limit with no impact to your score at all.

You can cut someone off and not get dinged., but if someone cuts you off you get double dinged.
You can run red lights and not get dinged, but if you stop for a yellow you get dinged for hard braking even if it wasn't really all that hard (6mph per second decrease isn't a whole lot).

If someone in the lane coming towards you decides to turn left in front of you with what is normally a mid nuisance distance you have to decide whether to brake to chance hard braking or not to brake that hard to chance a FCW.

The biggest problem with the Safety Score is it DOES change a persons driving. Things like doing braking sessions to reduce hard braking or going round and round to reduce hard cornering. Or they're resetting the computer while on the road to erase a FCW.

Elon said Tesla would always make fast cars, but now they're punishing anyone who actually drives a Tesla the way a Tesla was intended to be driven.
Yup, agree with that. As for someone cutting you off and similar issues, you can prevent a ding and it works every time.... Go into AP as soon as it happens, and disengage after they are clear. BUT, sort of to your point with not being thought out well, why should you have to do that.

And yes, it does seem to get some people to change the way they drive. I'm just not one of them. I only know some of the odd things about the way it works in code and I'm not impressed with many of the ways it "grades" drivers.

Thanks for bringing that one up. If you look at the same day of that post, I was referring to geofenced routes, and it wasn't about interventions, it was about accidents...
Fair enough, you did say accidents.

Let me ask you this, if you were not to intervene on the Beta software currently in your car, how many miles do you think it would drive before it got into an accident?

Fair enough, you did say accidents.

Let me ask you this, if you were not to intervene on the Beta software currently in your car, how many miles do you think it would drive before it got into an accident?
Pretty sure I would be "road rage" shot in about 10 miles or less.:eek::D Does that count as an accident?o_Oo_O

In general (No route limitations):

If you define accident as hitting another car or pedestrian,

If I didn’t intervene at all, most of my risk would be from pissed off people behind me. Or someone rear ending me.

Considering all of this, probably around 500 miles

If I could choose a 5 mile route, probably 10k miles or more

Considering all of this, probably around 500 miles
I think this is very optimistic. I've had it make a left at a one way stop sign and immediately slow down in front of the rapidly approaching traffic to my right. If I hadn't intervened with the accelerator I would have been hit from behind.

At couple of unprotected lefts at stop lights, it has started the turn only to slow down in the intersection. Again, immediate use of the accelerator was the only thing that saved me.

I think I have about 100 miles on Beta.

I think this is very optimistic. I've had it make a left at a one way stop sign and immediately slow down in front of the rapidly approaching traffic to my right. If I hadn't intervened with the accelerator I would have been hit from behind.

At couple of unprotected lefts at stop lights, it has started the turn only to slow down in the intersection. Again, immediate use of the accelerator was the only thing that saved me.

I live in the bay area CA though.

From L2 and below, a driver is.

From L3 and above, technologically it's the machine while the system’s active. Legally, it's not defined in the US but some countries like Japan and the European Union, it's the car manufacturers.
But if we talking about robotaxis, wouldn't that mean driverless? So wouldn't that be on Tesla if the car is operating on its own?

I live in the bay area CA though.
So do I…are you trolling? there’s no way it can do 500 miles on average without an accident.

I pulled out of my house yesterday, at the first light it stopped to make a right, light turned green, so it started to proceed into hitting a woman and her stroller. Had to disengage there. Half a mile later, it tried to merge into another car, so I had to slam on the brake there. That was basically two accidents in 1 mile. Now granted sometimes it can go a few miles or even 10 or 20 without a dangerous situation/disengagement in low traffic scenarios, but if you were to let it loose on the street, I’d bet on average it would be one accident every 5-10 miles. Maybe even more during rush hour traffic

So do I…are you trolling? there’s no way it can do 500 miles on average without an accident.

I pulled out of my house yesterday, at the first light it stopped to make a right, light turned green, so it started to proceed into hitting a woman and her stroller. Had to disengage there. Half a mile later, it tried to merge into another car, so I had to slam on the brake there. That was basically two accidents in 1 mile. Now granted sometimes it can go a few miles or even 10 or 20 without a dangerous situation/disengagement in low traffic scenarios, but if you were to let it loose on the street, I’d bet one accident every 5-10 miles. Maybe even more during rush hour traffic
I had a similar FSD driving experience yesterday, and posted yesterday. Will be holding off on further testing until 10.3 releases.

Reactions: Phlier
Now granted sometimes it can go a few miles or even 10 or 20 without a dangerous situation/disengagement in low traffic scenarios

I guess it does depend on where you live within the Bay Area. In SF, sure, it's going to be more risky. In Palo Alto? Might perform a lot better.

There are a lot of situations where we think it might have caused an accident, but perhaps it would stop in time? I don't want to experiment. In my particular area, I think it could go 500 miles without running into a car or pedestrian. I'm definitely intervening well before any accident though, so it's difficult to confirm lol