Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say more than slightly. That's actually exactly my experience using it in non-construction zone, well marked, suburbia. We've got a ways to go :)
In my SoCal suburbia FSD Beta works incredibly well. There are a couple of nonstandard intersections it is very iffy on (mostly ones with a small, minor residential street running adjacent to a major street, separated by a narrow median).

I was about to write off 10.4 as a wasted release - but I a good drive !

About 15 miles of to & fro at night, rain while coming back. No drama and nearly no-interventions (I disengaged at multilane roundabout). Even the right turn from stop was less jittery.

Even the phantom braking I was consistently getting on the route has disappeared over the last few days.

About 15 miles of to & fro at night, rain while coming back. No drama and nearly no-interventions (I disengaged at multilane roundabout). Even the right turn from stop was less jittery.

Even the phantom braking I was consistently getting on the route has disappeared over the last few days.
Strangely yesterday after a few better and few about the same I had my by far worst drive day on Beta. Sometimes I want to apply anthropomorphism (like we all do) and say it is learning and improving or hard headed and repeating the same mistakes.

In a way it makes sense that it is only fleet learning and not the individual car BUT it is also a little sad that EVERY time it comes to the same situations it is seeing them for the "first time".

Last edited:
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, Long Range, FSD, HW3, 2021.36.8.5, 99K miles

AP, 10.3, 10.4 comparisons

AP/NOA

Phantom Braking at two hills and at an intersection on secondary roads. Some days it would, other times it wouldn’t phantom brake at this same intersection. Intersection was not on a hill and it was straight, only happens on north bound side.

Phantom braking and lane aborts next to tractor trailers on highway

Really heart stopping phantom braking approaching on ramp merging. That was really scary 75mph and slams brakes for no reason.

Following a tesla I saw it brake for no apparent reason on a highway, then I hit that same spot and my car did same.

Phantom brakes periodically at same right hand curve secondary road, even though approaching traffic is well within it their lane.

Lot of time just trying to get used to it.

No more Phantom Braking on hills and at same intersection. YEA!!!

Didn’t get to test highways

Several residential intersections need work. I usually just turned it off at intersections, so I didn’t have a lot of experience with it

Once at an intersection I was first to the red light, it started to creep forward, I panicked and hit the brake. Later same day I saw car in front of me make the right on red. Duh. Beta was smarter than me.

Phantom braking was replaced with Goooo. Slow, Goooo. Slow. It now slows slightly for no reason. AP never slowed or phantom braked along this stretch.

Gets into turning lane very nicely.

Goofy sudden maneuver – right hand curve residential street, makes hard right at fire hydrant, Yikes.

Getting a little more comfortable with it.

Attempted to pass stopped line of cars behind school bus unloading.

Took a couple intersections remarkably well, even with cars waiting to pull out. I thought for sure it was going to do something, surprise handled it perfectly.

Other intersections, needs lots of work, have to disengage unless nobody is around.

Took it’s turn at a 4 way intersection a couple times so far, still testing to see if it messes up

Took same left turn into development different a couple times, once it will go beyond the yellow line of the side street then turn, other times it will take it the way we all do, turn very early onto side street crossing the yellow line further up. The side street is overly wide and lopsided especially on the southbound side that you are turning into.

Haven’t seen phantom braking or lane abort next to tractor trailers (yet)

Haven’t experienced on ramp hard braking (yet). Could be I’m not going in the right lane near on ramps, or I’m subconsciously disengaging. That really did scary me and my wife to cause me to avoid that lane. Of all the phantom braking I’ve experienced over the years that was by far the worst and I never want to experience it again unless it is an immanent collision. It was bad, traveling 75mph and slams brakes, wow, that’ll jolt you.

Highway on ramp drifts way to far left on right hand curve, I end up disengaging. No reason to be this close to curb or barrier, has a whole lane to use.

Does give a bit more room on residential and town streets when passing parked cars.

Made a hard right turn, on a right hand curve, see AP above, but then immediately cut back left and then centered in lane when a utility truck was approaching and was in it’s lane. Only does this periodically at this spot, will do it today, but not the next several days. What ever, still having a problem with this slight right hand curve, it’s a wide road too.

Doesn’t give the Traffic Control device message on screen, so you don’t know if it is aware of upcoming intersection. Not sure if same with 10.3, didn’t really pay much attention to UI as I was trying it out.

Did fail to see an upcoming traffic light intersection with crossing traffic in it. Granted you are coming into it from a left hand curve, but you can clearly see it in advance. Had to slam brakes to prevent colliding in intersection. If there are cars stopped there it slows and stops, but the one time when there were none, it was going full speed into a red light. Ironically when coming the opposite way into the intersection it too has a left hand curve but you can’t see the intersection and it slows and stops just fine with or without cars stopped there.

I wish it would project the Traffic Control message on screen so you knew if it realized there was one approaching.

Loss of the camera record button. You can’t view any clips, the camera button is gone and only the Beta camera button is there. I guess they don’t want you pressing the wrong one, so you lose the ability to view sentry mode clips, or maybe it’s just operator error (me) not knowing how to now pull them up.

Looking forward to next version to compare.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I'm beginning to think FSDbeta needs some time to adjust or calibrate itself, kind of like the cameras.

The first few drives or day with 10.3.1 and 10.4 was kind of jittery, however, things really settled down I've been having really good drives. Places where FSDbeta used to coast, like patchwork roadwork with alphalt and concrete that might be mistaken for an object or speed bump, it just drives on by even at night.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Places where FSDbeta used to coast, like patchwork roadwork with alphalt and concrete that might be mistaken for an object or speed bump, it just drives on by even at night.
I've found the worst scenario for FSD in terms of figuring out the lines is low Sun on a wet road. The reflection off the road makes it difficult for the cameras to figure out the lanes - esp. if the lines are somewhat faded.

This road has no center line - but has side lines. FSD would "detect" double yellow center lines and kept find / not finding side lines every second.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-11-11-10h12m20s602.png
    vlcsnap-2021-11-11-10h12m20s602.png
    594.5 KB · Views: 47
  • vlcsnap-2021-11-11-10h12m00s143.png
    vlcsnap-2021-11-11-10h12m00s143.png
    734.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476

Chuck finally got a chance to do his left turn tests. First three were excellent. Still doesn’t have median logic, but it did an excellent job waiting patiently waiting for an appropriate gap from both sides before proceeding.

edit - finally a disengagement on turn 6. The most troublesome because traffic from the left filled up waiting for a red light, obscuring view of traffic coming from the right. The car waited appropriately for left traffic to leave a sufficient gap, but it needed median logic to know to make its move and wait at the median to observe traffic coming from the right.

The first five turns were all very good. The creeping was perfect in how it approached the stop sign, moving up enough to give the car clear views of both sides without impeding traffic and waiting there patiently without anymore unnecessary creeping until it recognized a sufficient gap. Still a small sample size, of course, it hopefully this will be consistent for Chuck moving forward.

Last edited:
Yup.

Add roads with a spider web of patched asphalt rubber sealer covering cracks. Strong midday sun relfections off the sealer at ~2pm causes AP to drift a bit along (with other drivers).

I've found the worst scenario for FSD in terms of figuring out the lines is low Sun on a wet road. The reflection off the road makes it difficult for the cameras to figure out the lanes - esp. if the lines are somewhat faded.

This road has no center line - but has side lines. FSD would "detect" double yellow center lines and kept find / not finding side lines every second.

Still doesn’t have median logic,
I appreciate Chuck doing these - but I wish he did "normal" unprotected lefts, rather than one that really requires a stop in the median. FSD simply doesn't have that logic now ... no point testing that over & over. Once they say they have built that feature - that would be a good time to test that.

Reactions: wjax and nvx1977
Dirty Tesla found that re-calibrating his cameras seemed to improve 10.4 vs. his two previous bad rides.

I tried to recalibrate today. Mistake. I drove about 20 miles and the additional camera calibration Beta needs has it stuck on 99 percent right now, lol. I had to drive 20 miles myself instead of Beta doing most of my drive for me! Might head out later tonight to see if I can get the last bit of calibration needed. It was stuck on 99 percent for the last five miles, so it isn’t just a question of miles, I guess. I wish I knew what it needed to see to complete so I could go do it and knock it out of the way.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
I tried to recalibrate today. Mistake. I drove about 20 miles and the additional camera calibration Beta needs has it stuck on 99 percent right now, lol. I had to drive 20 miles myself instead of Beta doing most of my drive for me! Might head out later tonight to see if I can get the last bit of calibration needed. It was stuck on 99 percent for the last five miles, so it isn’t just a question of miles, I guess. I wish I knew what it needed to see to complete so I could go do it and knock it out of the way.
This is what the manual says are ideal conditions for camera calibration:
When calibration is complete, Autopilot features are available for use. Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. For example, calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes, such as a freeway or highway, with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes). Contact Tesla only if your Model 3 has not completed the calibration process after driving 100 miles (160 km) in the described conditions.

Note
To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a freeway or highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: sfuape and EVNow
Did another 20 miles or so today driving to get my booster shot, and my car is still stuck at 99 percent for the FSD camera calibration. Ugh. I really, really miss FSD. If it doesn’t finish whatever the hell it’s doing tomorrow, I might have to try resetting the calibration again. I forgot how much better FSD is on city streets than regular AP for me. I’ve gotten too used to Beta, now it is exceedingly annoying to have to cancel AP on turns and to nudge the gear stalk or the go pedal for stop lights.