Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s amazing how many of the pedestrians were walking/ jogging on the WRONG side of road. Cyclists are supposed to travel with the flow of traffic, pedestrians, against the flow of traffic. Doesn’t surprise me, as most people just seem to do whatever the hell they want anyways nowadays, like FaceTiming while driving and things like that... I see it all, I drive 20-30,000miles a year.

This is a bit of a rant, but as one who is anxiously awaiting my own stab at FSD later this month, I have to say it.

I just drove from Norfolk, VA to East Rutherford NJ and back over a two day period. I drove on US routes and well-marked roads. No back roads. I used NOA and it was a horrible experience. My MX freaked out over every blinking yellow light. Several times, it panic-braked right in the middle of the road, all because of those blinky yellow lights warning you of something ahead. Last night, it would see a green light 1/4 mile ahead and start slowing down, warning me that it was stopping for a signal 800 feet ahead. I tapped the lever multiple times to make it through the green light. When encountering a red light, the car didn't slow down until it was almost too late. It does the same thing when approaching an offramp. I swear it speeds up causing me to go manual on the turn!

Passing seems to have gotten better over the past couple of upgrades. Sometimes it wouldn't pass when a car was 1000 feet behind me in the left lane. Or, it would herky-jerky start passing and then whip back into my original lane, refusing to pass. Unreal.

Unless Tesla has totally abandoned NOA for the past year and put all of their efforts into FSD, I don't have much hope for FSD. I have only watched a couple videos from this thread (been super busy at work for the past month), but I felt compelled to post my most recent experience with Navigate on Autopilot. I would honestly give it a 1.5 stars out of 5.

I did a similar long distance drive in my MY recently with AP and it also freaked out with those blinking lights. I am surprised they are unable to handle them actually. Also a few times (I think when it's raining) my car does these "break spasms" where it starts aggressively breaking and releasing many times over a ~5 second period, when there is no reason to do so. I am hoping this is a common glitch and not a problem with my sensors.

Ha, do you think they will widen the FSD beta to all of us this month, or are you thinking about buying the current 10k FSD package?

** This could end up being meaningful (or not)...time will tell. **
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1335363589281112069
ATgreentheonly Screenshot 2020-12-06 083231.jpg

Last edited:
** This could end up being meaningful (or not)...time will tell. **
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1335363589281112069...
Not 100% sure of what this is about. Is it supposed to be early workings of the 360º overhead view? If so it doesn't seem to be what people are asking for at all. Or is it about new Mapping options that are being tested or is it about new UI being tested but just using the Map side of the screen? Would like a better explanation. So far has any publication picked up Green's info and written an article?

FSDBeta 6 2020.44.15.4
Lots of testing pedestrian interactions in a suburban environment. Check it out and let me know your thoughts.

Stuff like this might be part of the reason why Tesla doesn’t “left justify” like Brandon says they should.
Merced TESLA FSDBETA TESTING 2020.44.15.4 - 13:34 - Brandonee916
3:50 - Brandon gives his opinion that the people asking him how to get the beta shouldn’t want it. Says it’s more stressful to use than not as he continually is forced to cancel the turn signal while stopped at a light. Bugs need to fixed before it’s ready for a general release.

4:55 - no turn signal as the car tries to change lanes to the turn lane (swerves back and forth), Brandon says it was doing it in front of a car behind him (visible on the display). not good.

7:00 - intervention at unprotected left turn. Car starts to pull forward while traffic approaches rapidly from the left. Definitely not a creep for better visibility (no text box on screen saying so), just complete failure to see traffic, apparently. Brandon is reiterating that the people asking him how to get the beta don’t want it. Says his car pulling out caused a reaction from the oncoming traffic on the unprotected left, which (IMO) isn’t safe even if he overrode it.

7:50 - Brandon speculates that Tesla might have to disable unprotected left turns and require confirmation for those scenarios.

8:20 - disengagement from Brandon because the car changed lanes into the turn lane very abruptly. I don’t think the disengagement was necessary from a safety standpoint, but it definitely looked abrupt and if the driver isn’t comfortable they should disengage. Brandon says Tesla told him that the build was more of an alpha level when he was contacted for the beta, and he agrees with that.

Some jerks to the right with cars to his right as he approaches traffic lights for some unknown reason. Nothing that merited a disengagement, but odd. He speculates it might be due to sun glare.

11:20 - phantom braking event as he was crossing an intersection. Slowed from 35 to 25 very rapidly before he was able to override.

11:55 - odd twitching of the wheel as the car did mini swerves back and forth crossing an intersection. No disengagement, but that isn’t something that would make any drivers around the car comfortable.

12:20 - two disengagement’s as the the car tries to change to the right lane with a left turn upcoming.

13:00 - Brandon sounds pretty done with the beta. Says using it on the drive to Merced was so stressful and exhausting that he didn’t want to drive at all. Disappointing for FSD Beta since that’s the opposite of how NoAP makes me feel, but expected given what I’ve seen on his videos.

Brandon is sounding pretty burned out right now. I hope Tesla has his channel favorited and has their AP team poring over his issues. There was a pretty big improvement in Sacramento, but in a new city Merced it looks like there has been significant regression. Merced not mapped as well as Sac?

When people would say that FSD Beta would be available before the end of the year I have argued it would likely be closer to March. After watching the latest videos I would now say it may be May. It is just FAR too dangerous to allow in people hands at they point.

Reactions: Electroman
#FSDBeta 6 2020.44.15.4 Testing in lots of parking lots. Both entrance and exit tested. Let me know what you think.

2:20 - disengagement as the car accelerated way too quickly for a parking lot and the car didn’t acknowledge a pedestrian walking in a perpendicular lane.

5:10 - disengagement as the car accelerated towards a fence lining the parking lot with a median and a bunch of carts in front of it. No clue what the system was doing there.

7:05 - fails another unprotected left turn. Pulls out with a car approaching.

edit -

10:20 - car throws up warnings and disengages beta in a parking lot after a little swerving.

12:25 - disengagement to stop the car from hitting a median.

14:10 - went through a narrow bank drive thru well.

15:15 - it technically made a couple of turns to get onto the main road, but it didn’t look like it handled any of them particularly well. Driver let the car do it’s thing because there were no other cars.

16:40 - car hits a curb. No apparent damage. Still didn’t look good.

18:10 - disengagement as the car was accelerating towards an oncoming car in the parking lot. No imminent crash, so the car might have corrected, but I don’t blame Mr Cook for overriding.

Last edited:
I really don’t think testers should be slowing down to see if it works. If you are controlling the speed that is not FSD in my opinion. If it doesn’t work without u slowing down it doesn’t work no matter how cut it.
First, it was good to see the improvement in the newest build and it FSD adjusting the speed. As to your point you do realize testers are providing valuable data to Tesla engineers?
When people would say that FSD Beta would be available before the end of the year I have argued it would likely be closer to March. After watching the latest videos I would now say it may be May. It is just FAR too dangerous to allow in people hands at they point.
I think we'll have a better idea after the next release how close it may be to expanding the number of beta users.

Bunch of nervous nellies in here. I still maintain it will be out in 3-9 weeks.

Advanced Summon was released well before it was ready (still isn't ready) and there's not even anyone in the CAR when that is going down.
Advanced summon goes less than 5 mph and isn’t enabled at all on public roads. Worst than can happen on smart summon is a fender bender or curb rash. The consequences of FSD screwing up with an inattentive driver at the helm are several orders of magnitude more serious than if smart summons screws up.