Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why you would want Tesla to avoid difficult situations. I small beta group is exactly where you want Tesla to make changes to address the edge cases. Now if the same problems are still occurring after several more updates perhaps your suggestion makes sense but certainly not now. Do you actually believe Elon would tell his team now it's too difficult and lets punt for now? Not a chance.
Of course not. And the situations you're going to get with 20 beta testers driving on the order of 30k miles so far are not going to be truly difficult situations anyway. I support solving all these easy situations first and then expand the beta to find more difficult situations.
If they want to do a wider release I think they should limit it to "autosteer on city streets." I don't think they should do a wide release of maneuvers like unprotected left turns or right turns on red until they can achieve better than human safety.

Test to Saugus High School, Liquor Store & Back - 2020.44.15.4 - 3 Dec 2020 - 9:51 - James Locke

around 5:33 he’s impressed that the traffic light located above the car is displaying the red on the display (flickering in and out). He said the light is only visible through the glass roof and that he can only see the red light reflecting off the curved shade above it, so it’s impressive that the system can somehow see the red to display at all.

Edit - 7:09 he’s not sure why the car was braking and he thinks that the car thought it was an intersection. I actually think the car might have mapped that the right lane was a merge lane (which it was, and it had the merge arrows indicating it on the road) and the car was slowing so the SUV ahead of it in the merge lane could merge in. The SUV was indicating to the right and was intending to turn without merging, but the car probably doesn’t read turn signals yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: n.one.one
#FSDBeta 6 version 2020.44.15.4
Demonstration of the colors and descriptions of the objects that are used in the FSD visualizations. This is part 1 of a two part series.
Now that is an informative and more creative video. Great job of think outside the or box (or is it about the boxes). I know I'm "chomping at the bit" for different angles of videos than just watching a drive only.

[RANT]A lot of decision about FSD going on when this tread should only be related to the videos.[/RANT]

Last edited:
This is a bit of a rant, but as one who is anxiously awaiting my own stab at FSD later this month, I have to say it.

I just drove from Norfolk, VA to East Rutherford NJ and back over a two day period. I drove on US routes and well-marked roads. No back roads. I used NOA and it was a horrible experience. My MX freaked out over every blinking yellow light. Several times, it panic-braked right in the middle of the road, all because of those blinky yellow lights warning you of something ahead. Last night, it would see a green light 1/4 mile ahead and start slowing down, warning me that it was stopping for a signal 800 feet ahead. I tapped the lever multiple times to make it through the green light. When encountering a red light, the car didn't slow down until it was almost too late. It does the same thing when approaching an offramp. I swear it speeds up causing me to go manual on the turn!

Passing seems to have gotten better over the past couple of upgrades. Sometimes it wouldn't pass when a car was 1000 feet behind me in the left lane. Or, it would herky-jerky start passing and then whip back into my original lane, refusing to pass. Unreal.

Unless Tesla has totally abandoned NOA for the past year and put all of their efforts into FSD, I don't have much hope for FSD. I have only watched a couple videos from this thread (been super busy at work for the past month), but I felt compelled to post my most recent experience with Navigate on Autopilot. I would honestly give it a 1.5 stars out of 5.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
This is a bit of a rant, but as one who is anxiously awaiting my own stab at FSD later this month, I have to say it.

I just drove from Norfolk, VA to East Rutherford NJ and back over a two day period. I drove on US routes and well-marked roads. No back roads. I used NOA and it was a horrible experience. My MX freaked out over every blinking yellow light. Several times, it panic-braked right in the middle of the road, all because of those blinky yellow lights warning you of something ahead. Last night, it would see a green light 1/4 mile ahead and start slowing down, warning me that it was stopping for a signal 800 feet ahead. I tapped the lever multiple times to make it through the green light. When encountering a red light, the car didn't slow down until it was almost too late. It does the same thing when approaching an offramp. I swear it speeds up causing me to go manual on the turn!

Passing seems to have gotten better over the past couple of upgrades. Sometimes it wouldn't pass when a car was 1000 feet behind me in the left lane. Or, it would herky-jerky start passing and then whip back into my original lane, refusing to pass. Unreal.

Unless Tesla has totally abandoned NOA for the past year and put all of their efforts into FSD, I don't have much hope for FSD. I have only watched a couple videos from this thread (been super busy at work for the past month), but I felt compelled to post my most recent experience with Navigate on Autopilot. I would honestly give it a 1.5 stars out of 5.

Turn of "traffic light and stop sign control" under autopilot settings if you don't want the car to respond to traffic controls.

trafflic light and stop sign control are not related to Navigate on Autopilot, not directly anyway, not in the current public versions. Just turn it off. I used it for like a day and then got sick of it freaking out on blinking yellow lights or getting confused by lights that are for different lanes.

Navigate on Autopilot has gotten a lot better, I just wish it wouldn't change lanes when a car is coming up behind quickly as it will basically cut them off. NOA has certainly gotten a lot better with ramps; it doesn't go dangerously slow anymore.

I also turned off it getting out of the left lane. I found that on 2 lane interstate highways, it can go in and out of the left lane too frequently. I just manually turn on the automated lane changes to get out of the left lane based on my own judgement of traffic flow.

Reactions: Master Chief
If Tesla just updates Autopilot and TACC on city streets so that it doesn't freak out on flashing yellow lights, doesn't require intervention to go straight through lights (with or without a lead car), and doesn't brake check every time there's turning traffic in front it would be a big update. From what I've seen in the Beta videos, those features are mostly ready. It doesn't need the full Navigate on Autopilot functionality shown in the beta software; it just needs autosteer and TACC to work better for it to be a worthwhile advance. Also, any phantom braking improvements on the interstate would be good.

The really difficult stuff can be released later, like unprotected left turns on city streets.

trafflic light and stop sign control are not related to Navigate on Autopilot, not directly anyway, not in the current public versions. Just turn it off. I used it for like a day and then got sick of it freaking out on blinking yellow lights or getting confused by lights that are for different lanes.
I would say you are missing out.
Traffic light and Stop Sign Control has maybe had maybe 1 "failure" in the past 2000 miles (and that was that it didn't chime when the light turned green and I was first in line - the display still showed the correct state of the traffic light)

It even handles side road stop signs that are turned enough to be seen from the perpendicular road without slamming on the brakes.

Traffic light and Stop Sign Control has maybe had maybe 1 "failure" in the past 2000 miles (and that was that it didn't chime when the light turned green and I was first in line - the display still showed the correct state of the traffic light)

It even handles side road stop signs that are turned enough to be seen from the perpendicular road without slamming on the brakes.

Aside from flashing yellow lights, the interventions required are annoying and more hassle than just manually driving. Like if you have a lead car, you don't need to intervene on green, but if the lead car gets too far ahead of you, you do need to intervene, but since you are capped to 5mph over the speed limit, sometimes the lead car gets away from you but sometimes it doesn't.

You're just always on edge waiting for an intermittent intervention request. You can't get into a natural flow of driving.

Aside from flashing yellow lights, the interventions required are annoying and more hassle than just manually driving. Like if you have a lead car, you don't need to intervene on green, but if the lead car gets too far ahead of you, you do need to intervene, but since you are capped to 5mph over the speed limit, sometimes the lead car gets away from you but sometimes it doesn't.

You're just always on edge waiting for an intermittent intervention request. You can't get into a natural flow of driving.
It handles flashing yellow lights like a champ.
Every morning I pass at least 3 school zones with flashing yellow lights, it does not slam on the brakes EVER. Lead car or not.

I agree. But I also understand where he's coming from. When I first tried the traffic control feature I HATED it. I turned it off after one day.

I went back and gave it another chance and now I love it. One of the biggest benefits is that the car actually prepares to slow when it's coming around a blind curve to an intersection so it results in a MUCH smoother driving experience. Prior to this, those blind curves were nail biters as you had to wait for the car to see a stopped car in front of you and then it would slam on the brakes!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I agree. But I also understand where he's coming from. When I first tried the traffic control feature I HATED it. I turned it off after one day.

I went back and gave it another chance and now I love it. One of the biggest benefits is that the car actually prepares to slow when it's coming around a blind curve to an intersection so it results in a MUCH smoother driving experience. Prior to this, those blind curves were nail biters as you had to wait for the car to see a stopped car in front of you and then it would slam on the brakes!
I did not mean to diminish the initial experience.
I was hoping to give enough info for ppl to try the feature again.
I've been very impressed with it this fall!

I actually think the car might have mapped that the right lane was a merge lane (which it was, and it had the merge arrows indicating it on the road) and the car was slowing so the SUV ahead of it in the merge lane could merge in. The SUV was indicating to the right and was intending to turn without merging, but the car probably doesn’t read turn signals yet.

That was exactly my reading too. I think the whole drive on that video was flawless.

In your 500 mile drive all you had some trouble around blink lights and stop lights, then I think you had a fantastic AP drive.

The light detection and response in AP is not mature. But after seeing over two dozen FSD videos, it is clear that FSD handles signals like a CHAMP. There was not a single instance it misread or failed to read a light or a Stop sign, and respond accordingly. (except in a rare confusing back to back Stop sign).

FSD and AP are like night and day. For instance FSD can navigate city roads with no lane markings at all, even narrow ones with parked cars and such and two way traffic - all with ease.

Most of the issues are at unprotected left turns, right turns with fast moving cross traffic, and the decision to be on the correct lane at the right time. All of them tricky situations for a beginner.

Last edited:
I haven’t watched all the videos, but I am curious if there have been any where a four lane road becomes two lanes, and the right lane that disappears is a must turn right lane. I travel a road like this every time I go to the grocery, and always get in the left lane very early, as there is very little warning that if you are in the right lane you must turn right. Human drivers unfamiliar with this get caught all the time, and usually always annoy other drivers when they stop and signal to get back in the left lane, as the traffic can be heavy. I think the smart and courteous thing to do in such a situation, is to continue the right turn, and look for a good place to turn around, or u-turn if such is available. I think it likely you would be on your way quicker most times, than waiting for someone to let you back in the left lane. If Tesla can figure that out, I would be very impressed.

I haven’t watched all the videos, but I am curious if there have been any where a four lane road becomes two lanes, and the right lane that disappears is a must turn right lane. I travel a road like this every time I go to the grocery, and always get in the left lane very early, as there is very little warning that if you are in the right lane you must turn right. Human drivers unfamiliar with this get caught all the time, and usually always annoy other drivers when they stop and signal to get back in the left lane, as the traffic can be heavy. I think the smart and courteous thing to do in such a situation, is to continue the right turn, and look for a good place to turn around, or u-turn if such is available. I think it likely you would be on your way quicker most times, than waiting for someone to let you back in the left lane. If Tesla can figure that out, I would be very impressed.
I think this comes down to the quality of the map data so that the car knows ahead of time which lane(s) it needs to be in.

There is a recent Waymo video of exactly this happening. Seemed like the Waymo waited for an eternity to merge in.