Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m one of the lucky FSD Beta testers. Since we are seeing a lot of videos from Beta testers now, I was curious to see what YOU all wanted to see now. I’ll be happy to review and test those ideas. Note that I might not be able to do everything based on the agreement we sign with Tesla.

Here are a few ideas that I already had:
- Record a “regular” drive but in French (for French Canadian friends)
- Take the same turns/routes and try to replicate the same condition to see how FSD evolves through the versions. I have to say I started on Beta 7 and we are on 9 now so not much to compare. Plus I don’t have a lot of footage for Beta 7 so it could take a while before this can happen
- I liked the drone FSD footage. Maybe do another one but with a stand still drone pointing camera down so we can see how well the car takes turns.

Thanks!
Are you in Chicago or Canada? You videos that I saw have been in Chicago. Are there Beta testers in Canada now? Welcome.

Hi all,

I’m one of the lucky FSD Beta testers. Since we are seeing a lot of videos from Beta testers now, I was curious to see what YOU all wanted to see now. I’ll be happy to review and test those ideas. Note that I might not be able to do everything based on the agreement we sign with Tesla.

Here are a few ideas that I already had:
- Take the same turns/routes and try to replicate the same condition to see how FSD evolves through the versions. I have to say I started on Beta 7 and we are on 9 now so not much to compare. Plus I don’t have a lot of footage for Beta 7 so it could take a while before this can happen
- I liked the drone FSD footage. Maybe do another one but with a stand still drone pointing camera down so we can see how well the car takes turns.

Thanks!
Thanks for posting @Frenchie.
Here is where your recent video was linked in this thread.
Two new videos.

#FSDBeta 9 2020.48.26.1
Onramps, turn lanes, merges today. Check it out.
Doesn’t handle unprotected turns right or left with traffic well at all. I hope Elon is seeing more advanced builds that address these issues, or his assertion that level 5 in 2021 is just another crazy optimistic statement with nothing behind it.

Welcome! I don't think your longest video was shared in this thread, but I found it quite nice in terms of the downtown roads you were driving on:

I believe Chicago is the largest downtown city area in FSD beta that someone can drive regularly. There's been a few videos of San Francisco and Detroit downtown areas, but those are from people driving in from out of town. And Sacramento downtown is not quite as busy as Chicago, but both do have a lot of one-way roads that might be causing FSD beta some troubles.

Personally, I think videos in French would be nice to expand from English, Chinese, Spanish to share the experience to more people, and regular FSD viewers can probably figure out what's going on even without understanding French. (TesLatino does real-time commentary in both Spanish and English.) You also mentioned using pre-FSD-beta Autopilot and experiencing failures, so while you might not have much beta history to compare, revisiting the past failures could be interesting.

Last edited:

New Year’s Eve drive from Mr Locke. The Beta is nowhere close to a general release. Fairly easy situations throughout the vid and the driver still had to intervene a number of times. Even parts that looked smooth were only so because the driver was hitting the accelerator on stuff like roundabouts and unprotected turns where the Beta is fairly notorious for stopping and hesitating all throughout. I’m really starting to wonder if a general release will only happen requiring driver confirmation on turns, or maybe even require driver control of the throttle on turns and roundabouts because I haven’t seen much improvement on cars handling that when there is any kind of traffic involved, which makes me wonder what Elon is seeing that makes him so sure that level five will be possible in 2021. I hope it’s advanced beta builds not even available to the current crop of testers, because otherwise it’s just more Elon time optimism. A car able to smoothly turn itself on an empty road is awesome, but it hardly matters if it can’t do the same when there is traffic without causing major safety issues.

Reactions: n.one.one
Welcome! I don't think your longest video was shared in this thread, but I found it quite nice in terms of the downtown roads you were driving on:

I believe Chicago is the largest downtown city area in FSD beta that someone can drive regularly. There's been a few videos of San Francisco and Detroit downtown areas, but those are from people driving in from out of town. And Sacramento downtown is not quite as busy as Chicago, but both do have a lot of one-way roads that might be causing FSD beta some troubles.

Personally, I think videos in French would be nice to expand from English, Chinese, Spanish to share the experience to more people, and regular FSD viewers can probably figure out what's going on even without understanding French. (TesLatino does real-time commentary in both Spanish and English.) You also mentioned using pre-FSD-beta Autopilot and experiencing failures, so while you might not have much beta history to compare, revisiting the past failures could be interesting.

40 seconds in and the car tries to run a red light. Not an auspicious start.

2:25 - car does not proceed on a green light. Driver has to intervene. And then the car starts swerving immediately afterward.

4:00 - fails to get into left hand turn lane. Turns anyway from the wrong lane and then effs that up, requiring driver intervention.

Okay, I’m five minutes in and this is looking like a video with mostly failures. Either Tesla is playing around with the flags from user to user, as some guess, or they need data from cars for each city to build their FSD knowledge base for that city and this guy is the first in Chicago, because the car has handled almost nothing correctly so far. Thank god he’s driving around with almost no one else around in the city.

Last edited:

Vincent with a passenger. Very impressive drive in the dark without street lights and some hard to see stop signs, narrow streets, and parked cars. Too lazy to translate too much, but I found the commentary amusing and the passenger was very impressed.

1:45 - both marveling at the stop sign that neither saw but the car reacted to. They didn’t see the sign until the last second, but they did see the words in the road.

2:00 - passenger is mini panicking and telling Vincent that the road is very narrow and that they’re close on the right side. Vincent says he knows and there’s no problem.

2:30 - passenger is nervously laughing about the speed.

4:30 - passenger marveling at how natural the car turns feel now.