Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, I'm not buying this idea that you have to drive at a crawl. I am now at 3,000 mile with a 99 score. Speed has nothing to do with the score. ;)
And I am not even trying to get a high score. Just driving the way I always do. And on interstate 80, it is fast.

I have a 99 score as well, but I had to adjust my driving.

The Safety Score is both terribly thought out and terribly executed.

You're 100% correct in that speed doesn't have anything to do with the score, and you could drive 20-30mph over the speed limit with no impact to your score at all.

You can cut someone off and not get dinged., but if someone cuts you off you get double dinged.
You can run red lights and not get dinged, but if you stop for a yellow you get dinged for hard braking even if it wasn't really all that hard (6mph per second decrease isn't a whole lot).

If someone in the lane coming towards you decides to turn left in front of you with what is normally a mid nuisance distance you have to decide whether to brake to chance hard braking or not to brake that hard to chance a FCW.

The biggest problem with the Safety Score is it DOES change a persons driving. Things like doing braking sessions to reduce hard braking or going round and round to reduce hard cornering. Or they're resetting the computer while on the road to erase a FCW.

Elon said Tesla would always make fast cars, but now they're punishing anyone who actually drives a Tesla the way a Tesla was intended to be driven.

I don't really have much of a point, other than to say that the document you posted is lacking in a lot of details. It's difficult to make conclusions based on it.

You're also reading the document incorrectly. You said that most fatal accidents occur at sub 35mph speed limits. But that's not what the graph shows at all. The graph only shows the proportion of fatal accidents (urban vs rural) within a speed limit range. All the bars within a speed limit range add to 100%! Please reassess!

View attachment 723060

😳

I read the graph incorrectly

😬😕😭

Reactions: powertoold
I get the sense after reading this thread that few if any of the new FSD beta testers see a Robotaxis coming anytime soon to a Tesla near you. Certainly not in 2022. Anyone fell differently based strictly on FSD's technical capability to perform drive after drive with zero engagements?

I'm just glad I would never use my car as a robotaxi.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
I get the sense after reading this thread that few if any of the new FSD beta testers see a Robotaxis coming anytime soon to a Tesla near you. Certainly not in 2022. Anyone fell differently based strictly on FSD's technical capability to perform drive after drive with zero engagements?

I'm just glad I would never use my car as a robotaxi.

I'm pretty confident FSD will be reliable and safe enough for geofenced robotaxis (easy routes, no construction, etc.) within the next 6 months. Whether or not Tesla will deploy them is another story.

Isn't that how you are defining it i.e. that is not official Tesla definition ? To me anytime you do anything to change what FSD is doing, its an intervention. So, the extreme intervention is to turn it off.

Dunno if Tesla has an official definition, but all the prior beta testers were / are on the same page about disengagement vs intervention.

To your post, my analogy is a light bulb dimmer. Intervention = dimming the bulb, disengagement = turn bulb off. Most dimmers don't allow you to turn the bulb off by dimming all the way, lol.

I've been using disengagement to mean I did something and FSD disengaged. I've been using intervention to mean accelerator nudges. It's unclear whether other interventions, like adjusting speed with the scroll wheel counts as an intervention, meaning it might be something that FSD logs and sends back to the mothership. Same with manually signaling when FSD doesn't.

I doubt either term is "official", but it's become accepted vocabulary from pretty much all the original early access testers. Some people even have charts to track interventions vs disengagements.

I'm pretty confident FSD will be reliable and safe enough for geofenced robotaxis (easy routes, no construction, etc.) within the next 6 months. Whether or not Tesla will deploy them is another story.
I need to bookmark this one. haha.
How exactly will you determine that it's safe enough? Is this claim falsifiable?

You don't have a very good track record with these predictions. Remember this one?

From that thread, "I’d be surprised if V9 doesn’t match or exceed Waymo performance on the same routes."

I assume you are surprised.

Then there is this one, in which you predicted that by July 2021 interventions would be down to one every 150k miles. I think you mentioned a couple days ago that you are intervening once every mile with the current Beta version.

(links go to the exact post even though the forum software is quoting the first post in the thread)