Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At work a girl was killed by a professional bus driver at night. Bus driver was found not at fault. I believe this is not an uncommon story.
There are about 7000 pedestrian deaths a year in the US.
I'm just saying that if I hit pedestrians in the situation from the video I would probably have hit 100's of pedestrian by now and I haven't hit any (knock on wood).
Maybe that old dude is just extraordinarily lucky or this is his first offense but I'm guessing that the probability of getting hit by a human driver in that situation is low (though not nearly low enough for me to walk across the street like that!).

Reactions: daktari

That’s great! I have a lot of folks crossing the street around me mostly in cross walks (without stop lights).. it does not have perfect behavior like this but I can’t wait.

It’s not an easy problem. People are looking at their phones, turn around while walking etc…. It can be hard to predict and my driving speed will absolutely adjust based on if people are walking near a cross walk or not.

Reactions: Terminator857
That’s great! I have a lot of folks crossing the street around me mostly in cross walks (without stop lights).. it does not have perfect behavior like this but I can’t wait.

It’s not an easy problem. People are looking at their phones, turn around while walking etc…. It can be hard to predict and my driving speed will absolutely adjust based on if people are walking near a cross walk or not.
I'm regularly astonished by the number of pedestrians, joggers, bicyclists wearing all black on dark streets. I don't know if they are asking to get hit or what. I asked my co-workers about it, and they said it is a fashion style. Which confuses me also. A fashion style asking to be killed? At work they give out free clothing and it is mostly black attire. :( When will neon green or orange come into vogue. :p

There are about 7000 pedestrian deaths a year in the US.
I'm just saying that if I hit pedestrians in the situation from the video I would probably have hit 100's of pedestrian by now and I haven't hit any (knock on wood).
Maybe that old dude is just extraordinarily lucky or this is his first offense but I'm guessing that the probability of getting hit by a human driver in that situation is low (though not nearly low enough for me to walk across the street like that!).
In my town.. 20 pedestrians are hit a year. Almost 2 per month.

You don’t want to trying to switch from streaming audio back fm while driving here.

I think knowing what is coming, like in this video, skews our thinking that we would have/could have seen the jay walker just as soon or sooner than FSD does. When I watched it my eyes were scanning for the danger knowing it was coming. Play the video without knowing what's about to appear and picture yourself glancing down at the radio or looking for the seat heater control. Is the outcome the same without either autopilot or FSD engaged?

I think knowing what is coming, like in this video, skews our thinking that we would have/could have seen the jay walker just as soon or sooner than FSD does. When I watched it my eyes were scanning for the danger knowing it was coming. Play the video without knowing what's about to appear and picture yourself glancing down at the radio or looking for the seat heater control. Is the outcome the same without either autopilot or FSD engaged?
I've avoided hitting jaywalkers at night using only my headlights. The area in the video is extremely well lit!
I'm surprised there are so many people who haven't encountered jaywalkers at night (or worse, regularly hit them!).
You have to keep in mind that the dash cam footage is far lower resolution and dynamic range than the human eye. Of course sometimes drivers aren't paying attention and do hit pedestrians but I would hope every AEB system on the market would work in the scenario of the video. It's possible that the maker of the video might not have been paying attention because they were using FSD Beta and would be much safer just using the standard Tesla AEB system.
1641252704099.png

I've avoided hitting jaywalkers at night using only my headlights. The area in the video is extremely well lit!
I'm surprised there are so many people who haven't encountered jaywalkers at night (or worse, regularly hit them!).
You have to keep in mind that the dash cam footage is far lower resolution and dynamic range than the human eye. Of course sometimes drivers aren't paying attention and do hit pedestrians but I would hope every AEB system on the market would work in the scenario of the video. It's possible that the maker of the video might not have been paying attention because they were using FSD Beta and would be much safer just using the standard Tesla AEB system.
View attachment 751573
You are right. Also, this is not FSD specific, all modern cars will stop for pedestrians in Europe. Look at any EuroNCAP video, the last 20 seconds shows crash avoidance functionality. They have tested Tesla also.

Anyway, good that it stopped.

Seems we can conclude that 10.8 ODD is NOT snow.

Has anyone seen any autonomous progress in slippery roads? As a human, with real experience, I can see the surface, I discern ice from snow from salt sludge. I feel the wheel is lighter to turn and I can test the brakes for how bad it is and take precautions. Should probably be a different thread.

Seems we can conclude that 10.8 ODD is NOT snow.

Has anyone seen any autonomous progress in slippery roads? As a human, with real experience, I can see the surface, I discern ice from snow from salt sludge. I feel the wheel is lighter to turn and I can test the brakes for how bad it is and take precautions. Should probably be a different thread.
At least for this winter using FSD on snow covered and/or icy roads is very risky except to provide Tesla with valuable data. Hopefully with some good winter data this year next year FSD "might" be useable in simple snow/icy environments.

At least for this winter using FSD on snow covered and/or icy roads is very risky except to provide Tesla with valuable data. Hopefully with some good winter data this year next year FSD "might" be useable in simple snow/icy environments.
Yes probably. Just wonder how the pixels from the cameras on "snow on road" differs from "snow outside the road". But I guess the NN experts will find a solution.