Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karpathy tweeted this yesterday in response to the above Tail of the Dragon video

Finally watched the video - can't really make out much because its sped up - but looked ok. Infact the youtuber was quite surprised that it actually handled going back & forth without any intervention. Looks like it crossed the yellow a couple of times. But it slowed down for all the bends as needed, pretty good at this stage of the beta.

Some interesting Elon tweets.

1639805582187.png

1639805716536.png

Last edited:
I feel like people have been led to believe FSD/Autopilot depend far less on map data than they actually do

Can only imagine the sheer volume of map problems that would need to be refined and ironed out before deploying anything resembling robotaxis

Reactions: EVNow
But then - when that happens - far in the future - may be the driving will be better when the map & visuals don't agree.
Very true

Would be cool to have a system that maps out / corrects the roads when they're driven in a way that doesn't agree with the map data, but I don't think we're anywhere near that yet

It looks like the Christmas Dance is coming to all (?) Tesla models which should make for some great videos.

View attachment 746474

I already hit a curb on a roundabout while using FSD. I thought it was going to be close but would make it, I was wrong . Other than that it has been able to drive me almost everywehre with only pushing the accelorator interventions
Had my first curb strike recently on a left turn from a light, into a divided Ave. where the front of the vehicle cleared the median but the rear wheel caught the unforgiving concrete curb. I was paying close attention; but, I‘ll admit I had begun to get used the the vehicle correcting itself and being consistently successfully through these sorts of things—even if at the last min. Not this time!

Oh well, it will probably only need to be sanded out. The worst part is a pair of AlloyGator protectors are waiting for me under the tree...😂

Last edited:
Chuck with some apparently significant regression in unprotected left turns

This is a terrible regression, perhaps one of the worst regressions since the beginning of FSD beta videos which started in late October 2020. The only one that might have been worse was the 10.3>10.3.1 debacle which didn't have much video because it was pulled and replaced within one day.

This is a terrible regression, perhaps one of the worst regressions since the beginning of FSD beta videos which started in late October 2020. The only one that might have been worse was the 10.3>10.3.1 debacle which didn't have much video because it was pulled and replaced within one day.
You’d think they would would have a very good model of Chuck’s intersection by now and they could just run millions of simulations. I guess you have to assume that all this works in simulation… these don’t seem like edge cases.

You’d think they would would have a very good model of Chuck’s intersection by now and they could just run millions of simulations. I guess you have to assume that all this works in simulation… these don’t seem like edge cases.
Personally I don't wait for a long time to make such left turns. I turn right and take alternate route. I think thats what Waymo does too ... High speed unprotected left turns aren't the most important cases to solve first.

If the vision system can't see, no amount of training will improve matters. Chuck picked this intersection originally because it was such an extreme case. The visibility to the left is obscured by vegetation. There are no nearby 🚦 either left or right on the highway to mediate cross traffic. The speed limit on the highway is 55 mph.

Taking the turn by first stopping in the median might improve the success rate but it might be difficult for the car to exactly pull into the median without blocking traffic. Besides, this is a tee intersection. If the neighborhood road continued straight, pulling into the median might be even more difficult to design.

Reactions: Matias
If the vision system can't see, no amount of training will improve matters. Chuck picked this intersection originally because it was such an extreme case. The visibility to the left is obscured by vegetation. There are no nearby 🚦 either left or right on the highway to mediate cross traffic. The speed limit on the highway is 55 mph.

Taking the turn by first stopping in the median might improve the success rate but it might be difficult for the car to exactly pull into the median without blocking traffic. Besides, this is a tee intersection. If the neighborhood road continued straight, pulling into the median might be even more difficult to design.
That intersection is very difficult.

Chuck picked this intersection originally because it was such an extreme case.
The question as always is - what is the intent - entertainment or information. Picking a typical ULT is more useful, IMO.

This is more like the Monorail or Lombard St test.

I don’t care if there are regressions here if typical ULT is better. I don’t want Tesla to optimize to get this edge case fine at the cost of avg ULT.

Reactions: jabloomf1230