Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD early adopters - anyone else feel like they lost the bet? [Update - Early Access for FSD Buyers]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. Early adopting EAP only people won't get Hardware 3 for free - right?
I have a feeling tesla is only lowering the price back to 3k for EAP buyers because some of the original EAP features will require a free AP3 hardware upgrade to work. But that's just a hunch. We have all learned it does not pay to be an early adopter, or to buy becuase tax credits are running out (oh no!). I think refunds will be going out to some people who paid too much, so don't worry!

Anyways, maybe it sucks for original FSD purchasers that prices have gone down for Post Purchase FSD, but there isn't much to complain about since it currently costs the same price for new buyers and EAP purchasers as it cost you when you purchased. If you paid to much possibly expect some money back

But hey, a $73000 performance car purchased in October can now be had for $61000 (ok there was a $5k offered in exchange for your early adopter privilege of free supercharging) but still, I don't exactly feel like I'm getting an amazing deal for being able to purchase FSD at the original price it was offered, or even $1000 less. I mean I haven't clicked the buy button!

Even if you take a $1000 loss for being an early adopter it's not as bad as pretty much everything else. My white interior dropped $500 2 days after delivery!

My friend bought his P3D+ for less than I paid for my P3D-, and his car had no delivery issues, and mine is STILL being worked on (I keep taking it in every other friday or once a month for issued that were probably caused by delivery repairs). It's been in the shop like 8 times and I think around 2 months total since October. And now it sounds like my friend will get free FSD package as well (hey that's great for him, and I hope he does get it, hell I need to direct him to this post!). But that kind of sucks for me though and upsets me that once again I can have it but I need to pay more than others, but life will go on. It is the real world and everyone will step on you. Learned my lesson with this purchase, and while I love tesla I won't forget these things when purchasing my next car which may or may not be another tesla.

It was very stressful when P3D- people were not offered any compensation for the $5k price drop, and while the end result of getting $5k back in exchange for free supercharging was much more than expected, I was extremely frustrated at the time (I didn't even have my car back from service). I was driving a loaner model S for 6 weeks while others were paying the same price (or less) for superior cars that were not stuck in the shop getting repainted...

I'll say, if Elon gives everyone who ordered this year free FSD (I don't understand why they deserve this) especially after the $6k price drops already. I will just have to vote with my wallet and NOT purchase FSD. While I enjoy getting free things, I hate when some groups get isolated and others get rewarded for no apparent reason. Tesla needs to do a 1 month pricing guarantee or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garlan Garner
This is far far far far far better news than I could have hoped for. Way better than free supercharging or something like that.

Free supercharging at least has actual value (not much in my case, but non zero).

Letting folks who already had EAP add FSD for the 3k prepurchase price doesn't bother me- they still pay what I did for the same thing, and it makes Teslas life easier greatly reducing # of folks they need to maintain two code bases for... no problems there.

But rewarding those who bought nothing by selling them EAP+FSD $3000 cheaper than the FSD folks paid (in some cases paid years ago) means the FSD buyers got literally nothing for their 3k....

Well except being told "We will sometimes let you alpha-test test unfinished software in your car if you also do work for us by providing feedback" I guess

Price drops on HW over time I get... even on existing features in software really- since at least the early adopters got USE of that HW and SW for a while ahead of the new people.

But a price drop (from effectively $3000 to $0) for new adopters on something that literally provided nothing up to now? That's crap for the people who already paid for it.

I have a feeling tesla is only lowering the price back to 3k for EAP buyers because some of the original EAP features will require a free AP3 hardware upgrade to work. But that's just a hunch. We have all learned it does not pay to be an early adopter, or to buy becuase tax credits are running out (oh no!). I think refunds will be going out to some people who paid too much, so don't worry!

Anyways, maybe it sucks for original FSD purchasers that prices have gone down for Post Purchase FSD, but there isn't much to complain about since it currently costs the same price for new buyers and EAP purchasers as it cost you when you purchased. If you paid to much possibly expect some money back

But hey, a $73000 performance car purchased in October can now be had for $61000 (ok there was a $5k offered in exchange for your early adopter privilege of free supercharging) but still, I don't exactly feel like I'm getting an amazing deal for being able to purchase FSD at the original price it was offered, or even $1000 less. I mean I haven't clicked the buy button!

Even if you take a $1000 loss for being an early adopter it's not as bad as pretty much everything else. My white interior dropped $500 2 days after delivery!

My friend bought his P3D+ for less than I paid for my P3D-, and his car had no delivery issues, and mine is STILL being worked on (I keep taking it in every other friday or once a month for issued that were probably caused by delivery repairs). It's been in the shop like 8 times and I think around 2 months total since October. And now it sounds like my friend will get free FSD package as well (hey that's great for him, and I hope he does get it, hell I need to direct him to this post!). But that kind of sucks for me though and upsets me that once again I can have it but I need to pay more than others, but life will go on. It is the real world and everyone will step on you. Learned my lesson with this purchase, and while I love tesla I won't forget these things when purchasing my next car which may or may not be another tesla.

It was very stressful when P3D- people were not offered any compensation for the $5k price drop, and while the end result of getting $5k back in exchange for free supercharging was much more than expected, I was extremely frustrated at the time (I didn't even have my car back from service). I was driving a loaner model S for 6 weeks while others were paying the same price (or less) for superior cars that were not stuck in the shop getting repainted...

I'll say, if Elon gives everyone who ordered this year free FSD (I don't understand why they deserve this) especially after the $6k price drops already. I will just have to vote with my wallet and NOT purchase FSD. While I enjoy getting free things, I hate when some groups get isolated and others get rewarded for no apparent reason. Tesla needs to do a 1 month pricing guarantee or something.

TESLA lowered the price on something that isn't even available yet.

That's ludicrous and insulting to those who purchased at the higher price. Especially since they offered NOTHING ( not even a comment ) to those early purchasers.

Period.

Free supercharging at least has actual value (not much in my case, but non zero).

Letting folks who already had EAP add FSD for the 3k prepurchase price doesn't bother me- they still pay what I did for the same thing, and it makes Teslas life easier greatly reducing # of folks they need to maintain two code bases for... no problems there.

But rewarding those who bought nothing by selling them EAP+FSD $3000 cheaper than the FSD folks paid (in some cases paid years ago) means the FSD buyers got literally nothing for their 3k....

Well except being told "We will sometimes let you alpha-test test unfinished software in your car if you also do work for us by providing feedback" I guess

Price drops on HW over time I get... even on existing features in software really- since at least the early adopters got USE of that HW and SW for a while ahead of the new people.

But a price drop (from effectively $3000 to $0) for new adopters on something that literally provided nothing up to now? That's crap for the people who already paid for it.
This post is spot on. I’m feeling pretty bummed about paying $3k for a product that hasn’t yet provided any value and is now free. We should be getting that $3k back.

TESLA lowered the price on something that isn't even available yet.

That's ludicrous and insulting to those who purchased at the higher price. Especially since they offered NOTHING ( not even a comment ) to those early purchasers.

Period.

It's actually worse than that because they told everyone if you don't buy it now at this price you will need to pay much much more later. Then they simply changed their mind and gave everyone a better deal than you. People such as myself (and many others) had to choose between buying those products or adding other things to our configurations based on that false information.

It's actually worse than that because they told everyone if you don't buy it now at this price you will need to pay much much more later. Then they simply changed their mind and gave everyone a better deal than you. People such as myself (and many others) had to choose between buying those products or adding other things to our configurations based on that false information.

Exactly.

I fixed the page for them :)

Tesla purchase.png

I think Tesla is just trying to survive, and are doing what they think they need to do, to stay alive. I don't think they are trying to screw anyone on purpose. You want them to survive don't you?
How is unequal treatment of existing customers going to keep them alive? Most car companies want to keep customers not piss them off.

Free supercharging might save me a total of like $50 per year. I’d have paid more than that to be at the front of the line for software updates. I bought this car to make my driving needs more pleasant, and the upcoming features are going to do that hopefully.

I bought the original FSD package for $3k. My main reason for buying was to gain the extra 4 cameras (a stated feature at the time), and because I figured the price would only go up not down.

Now we have a definition of what “FSD” is and it currently includes stuff everyone who bought EAP got plus stop lights and city streets (eventually and with monitoring). Elon did say NoA WAS “full self driving” in that call recently, so I guess I should not have been surprised.

I am not that interested in stop lights and city streets, and especially not if monitoring will be required. Based on the current FSD features, Summon, Autopark and NoA, stop lights and stop signs are going to be downright terrifying when initially released. I was hoping for Level 3 highway stuff to be the first FSD release.

I also have my doubts that Tesla will actually maintain separate code over the long run for the EAP buyers vs EAP+FSD. Guess it depends on how badly they want to upsell that extra $$. I wonder if Tesla actually maintained separate code for the very few $2500 AP buyers who didn’t pay the extra fee for EAP during the AP 2 transition.

Ah well, you win some you lose some in Tesla land I guess. If buying today, I would only buy the $3000 AP package, as those are the only AP features I currently use.

What do other FSD original package buyers think about the update?

The current AP is very limited, it doesnt have NOA, no autosteering.. I literally use them every single time I drive. I personally would never get a Tesla without EAP as to me its priceless. But anyone buying today as to cough up 8K upfront to get the same features that prior owners got with just EAP for 5k. So you didnt get screwed. I'm planning to upgrade to FSD this weekend for extra 3k

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7
During recent earnings report Elon claimed buying FSD now secures FSD and HW3 at “a discount”.

Elon said 2 years ago we were max 6 months away from first FSD features.

I want Tesla to survive and understand they have to do things that will alienate their base if current climate demands. Still I’m torn. His statements should be held accountable when it comes to offering a product and accepting my money.

During recent earnings report Elon claimed buying FSD now secures FSD and HW3 at “a discount”.

I want Tesla to survive and understand they have to do things that will alienate their base if current climate demands. Still I’m torn. His statements should be held accountable when it comes to offering a product and accepting my money.

Hmm, seems like they are trying to do right without the company absolutely tanking: Elon Musk on Twitter

I am still assuming early FSD buyers will still get HW3 for free. If not and it's only a discount I will join the ranks of unhappy people on here. But for now I have no problem how things are rolling out.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
The current AP is very limited, it doesnt have NOA, no autosteering.. I literally use them every single time I drive. I personally would never get a Tesla without EAP as to me its priceless. But anyone buying today as to cough up 8K upfront to get the same features that prior owners got with just EAP for 5k. So you didnt get screwed. I'm planning to upgrade to FSD this weekend for extra 3k

No, the new cheaper AP does have autosteer. It just doesn’t have NoA. I can easily live without NoA in its current form.

7700DDDF-672A-44DC-B417-18DBA155419F.jpeg

Hey! We are being thrown a bone! I dig it!

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

"Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers."

So now everyone gets my referral item?