Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD early adopters - anyone else feel like they lost the bet? [Update - Early Access for FSD Buyers]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Free supercharging at least has actual value (not much in my case, but non zero).

Letting folks who already had EAP add FSD for the 3k prepurchase price doesn't bother me- they still pay what I did for the same thing, and it makes Teslas life easier greatly reducing # of folks they need to maintain two code bases for... no problems there.

But rewarding those who bought nothing by selling them EAP+FSD $3000 cheaper than the FSD folks paid (in some cases paid years ago) means the FSD buyers got literally nothing for their 3k....

Well except being told "We will sometimes let you alpha-test test unfinished software in your car if you also do work for us by providing feedback" I guess

Price drops on HW over time I get... even on existing features in software really- since at least the early adopters got USE of that HW and SW for a while ahead of the new people.

But a price drop (from effectively $3000 to $0) for new adopters on something that literally provided nothing up to now? That's crap for the people who already paid for it.

I complete agree.

Tesla should have made an effort to get as many EAP owners as they could over to FSD. The reason is having EAP/HW2+ vehicles in the fleet would be really hard to manage.

When a EAP owner pays $3K extra to get FSD they're only getting a little more than they already have. As they already have NoA, Summons etc. The $3K is a good price for a little additional, and it's completely fair.

But, why do we care about people who didn't buy anything? Just make them pay the same $8K that we did. I don't know how many of them there will be. As $5K is still a lot of money to spend if you don't really care about the whole FSD thing.

As to being added to the early access program. I'm mixed about this one as there are so many of us that paid for FSD. I believe it's around 10% of the vehicles sold. That's an awful lot of early access people. So it might turn out to be 2nd early access people, or 3rd early access people.

I personally believe the Early access program should be voluntary where it's based completely on a persons willingness to test out the features throughly, and on their ability to keep their mouth shut. That allows developers to fix problems without the world going "oh, that feature really sucks because I heard this, and that about it".

I think Tesla needs to have an early access program for changes. So Tesla can run by me what crazy things they plan on doing, and I can warn them of the consequences. I promise to keep quiet as long as they follow my advice. :p

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Sigh. I saw this in another thread. Reportedly an email from Tesla.
2019 deliveries get free AP/FSD upgrade, 2018 deliveries get nothing

I am guessing this is offsetting the price drops for recent customers, but dang.

53336776_402168040559535_7100687216489267200_o.jpg

Says new buyers receive ONE of the features included in buying their car now. So AP or if they bought AP or EAP on earlier orders I guess, then FSD. There are always “promos” throughout the year to incentivize people to order: supercharging and those rewards they’ve previously offered. Don’t see this as any different. What’s the value of AP? FSD?

Dont hold your breath for the refund... i paid 5k+ for FSD. It was 3k pre-purchase and 4k post purchase. I took delivery March 2018. They are supposed to refund me 1K plus tax... i've been waiting since June.... i've called at least 5 times about it... still nothing... i've given up on it.... now they claim i will get 3k back? LOL... STFU... I will be shocked if i ever get my money back :-/

I am still assuming early FSD buyers will still get HW3 for free. If not and it's only a discount I will join the ranks of unhappy people on here. But for now I have no problem how things are rolling out.

All FSD buyers get HW3 for free.

It's literally impossible for them not to, as explained repeatedly in various threads, and explicitly stated by Elon Musk multiple times.

Tesla made it right. If you are not happy then give them a call and email them all the posts you made about how unhappy you are. He said some people are happy with the news, but he will make my wife and I happy because costumer satisfaction is important to Tesla.

I purchased a 2018 P3D- with the FSD option and couldn't be happier about the news this week. I'm so glad that more folks will be able to enjoy this marvel of a car. This just keeps getting better! First we got a 5k refund check, and now I may get an invite to an early tester program? Wow! Such great news!!!

• Love
Reactions: EinSV
We all ready for the double whammy on wed with supercharger v3 announcement?

At least in this case, it’s expected that older cars won’t be future proof. My guess is all cars will be able to handle more kWh but to what degree will vary. For example, I bet the the 75Ds will be negligible improvement and only under optimal circumstances.

As an early adopter who paid for FSD, getting nothing stings. I happen to be a software engineer and I highly doubt I could even join the early access program. The legalities of my current employment would just not allow it. I wouldnt even be able to join the work for us for free program, how sad is that.

So, has anyone actually either gotten

AP added for $2k

FSD added for $3k or $2k

FSD added for free (already bought EAP)

These are all things that were listed but I have <still> yet to see actually implemented.

Currently as someone who paid $3k for FSD, obviously not happy. But on the other hand I will reserve judgement until Tesla actually finalizes whatever the hell it is they will be offering.

Reactions: C141medic
So, has anyone actually either gotten

AP added for $2k

FSD added for $3k or $2k

FSD added for free (already bought EAP)

These are all things that were listed but I have <still> yet to see actually implemented.

It’s been two business days. You act like that blog post and twitter burst was back when Reagan was in office and you’ve been through 6 cars since.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic and P3D+
If they can't figure out updating a price on their own website in 2 days I don't have a ton of confidence they'll get Level 5 self driving working anytime soon.

Well, I’m glad I get to see such a stupid comment to start the day.

Notwithstanding that those are different teams and level 5 not happening from any company for a very very very long time, they probably run on a sprint system or similar and that update will need to be handled appropriately, which means assigning it to someone, setting a priority, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade