Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD features to start rolling out in August...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't see a thread started yet (though I only check Model 3 forums, not the S/X ones)...

From Elon: Elon Musk on Twitter
That issue is better in latest Autopilot software rolling out now & fully fixed in August update as part of our long-awaited Tesla Version 9. To date, Autopilot resources have rightly focused entirely on safety. With V9, we will begin to enable full self-driving features.
Click to expand...​
The specific issue he was talking about was lane merging. But he said that V9 will start rolling out in August and includes from FSD features...

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see a thread started yet (though I only check Model 3 forums, not the S/X ones)...

From Elon: Elon Musk on Twitter

The specific issue he was talking about was lane merging. But he said that V9 will start rolling out in August and includes from FSD features...

He said with V9 they will start to roll out FSD features. That only means that by V10 we will have some FSD features, not that the introduction of V9 will bring FSD features immediately.

He said with V9 they will start to roll out FSD features. That only means that by V10 we will have some FSD features, not that the introduction of V9 will bring FSD features immediately.

Just love it when journalists don't bother to at least understand what they are reporting on...

fsd_zps0lchifod.jpg

Same article shows a picture too, surely to ease the minds of all readers...

fsd2_zps3wceejsn.jpg

Last edited:
What does he mean by "full self driving" features? Either the car is FSD or it isn't. It already has some self-driving features in EAP: It can control its speed and it can steer within its lane and it can change lanes on the freeway.

What features will the car have for those who paid for FSD that EAP cars won't have? To my way of thinking the car does not have FSD features until you can take your hands off the wheel and close your eyes. But maybe there are features that Tesla will group into the FSD category (i.e. for people who paid the extra money). Features that will not make the car FSD but that Tesla will withhold from EAP cars.

IOW, there's Full Self Driving, for which they're not going to get regulatory approval any time soon, and there's the package of features that Tesla will call "FSD" even though they do not make the car an FSD car.

What does he mean by "full self driving" features? Either the car is FSD or it isn't. It already has some self-driving features in EAP: It can control its speed and it can steer within its lane and it can change lanes on the freeway.

What features will the car have for those who paid for FSD that EAP cars won't have? To my way of thinking the car does not have FSD features until you can take your hands off the wheel and close your eyes. But maybe there are features that Tesla will group into the FSD category (i.e. for people who paid the extra money). Features that will not make the car FSD but that Tesla will withhold from EAP cars.

IOW, there's Full Self Driving, for which they're not going to get regulatory approval any time soon, and there's the package of features that Tesla will call "FSD" even though they do not make the car an FSD car.

I believe examples of FSD features include stopping for stop signs or red lights and making left or right hand turns on surface streets. These sorts of things are not part of EAP but will be needed for self-driving.

Either the car is FSD or it isn't.

That's just plain silly... you think they'll just flip a switch at some point and BOOM your car is immediately FSD? Surely they'll slowly be adding functionality over a period of time (I'm guessing years). If I were to guess I'd say they'll start with the car being able to see speed limit signs, perhaps stop at traffic lights and start going again on green, stop at stop signs, stop for pedestrians, see school zone signs, etc etc. In pieces. It won't go from NO FSD to FULL FSD overnight.

What features will the car have for those who paid for FSD that EAP cars won't have?

More detailed view of all vehicles surrounding the car. Showing cars on either side, as well as behind you. This would probably be a prelude to the use of such information as detailed below. All the cameras, sensors and processing power are there, just a matter of the software presenting this information on the display.

This would enable FSD equipped cars to possibly also change lanes automatically on the freeway without the driver having to use a turn signal. This seems like one of the lower hanging fruit in the FSD world. I would imagine that in order to be safe, these early FSD features might be geofenced to only work on actual freeways.

Makes me happy I checked the $3,000 FSD box when ordering. Good thing I drank that extra glass of wine before making that decision...

RT

Don’t be dense and keep up.

Everyone - even non Tesla owners know what is being discussed.

A feature, some feature describe in the $3000 checkbox is getting activated.

Reactions: wesley888