Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD going up 8/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tweet link for the curious: Elon Musk on Twitter $1,000 increase coming ~August 16.

I was also holding out for a sale, @Burrito , but I'm guessing Elon didn't want to make a pattern of it... The FOMO is real, and at this point it's turning into fear of already having missed out (FOAHMO?).

I dont know, how many times has free supercharging gone away and come back and gone away again? They advertise "it is ending buy your cars NOW!!!11! " Then a few months later when they need more demand they bring it back.

Maybe this time will be different, but historically the only constant about Tesla pricing is that it is never constant.

I dont know, how many times has free supercharging gone away and come back and gone away again? They advertise "it is ending buy your cars NOW!!!11! " Then a few months later when they need more demand they bring it back.

Maybe this time will be different, but historically the only constant about Tesla pricing is that it is never constant.

It is interesting. When we bought our car in late March everyone assured us that Tesla did regular sales on AP/FSD. Even the guy at the service center who gave us the test-drive. But as far as I can tell, there was only ever one sale on either at the beginning of March (excluding the trial discounts, which have also completely disappeared). And I think Elon really regrets that big sale; I'm sure it cemented in a lot of consumer minds that you can always get a discount by waiting. So maybe he's planning to only ever increase the price from now on...

So maybe he's planning to only ever increase the price from now on...

Except what will the take rate be on a $7k FSD package? Even if enhanced summon finally gets released, I doubt that will be enough to make a lot of folks buy in at that price. Especially when you get a lot of bang for your buck with the basic AP that comes with the car. You can't raise prices forever, market forces will eventually intervene. (And enhanced summon should be baked into the current price since it is supposed to include it today. "Really." As the website has said for months).

Maybe they have a big surprise release of features up their sleeves, but I kind of doubt that.

Except what will the take rate be on a $7k FSD package? Even if enhanced summon finally gets released, I doubt that will be enough to make a lot of folks buy in at that price. Especially when you get a lot of bang for your buck with the basic AP that comes with the car. You can't raise prices forever, market forces will eventually intervene.

Maybe they have a big surprise release of features up their sleeves, but I kind of doubt that.

You can raise them if you increase features. Especially if they're features nobody else offers at any price.

This 1k bump seems timed for when enhanced summon is out.

I imagine the next price bump comes "by end of year" when they release the stoplight/stopsign and local roads stuff.

FSD still doesn’t have any features my car doesn’t already have. I fully expect another $2k sale happening for EAP users after new features are released.
EAP is supposed to have full enhanced summon and light recognition. I suspect I’ll have 60k miles on my car before any new, not EAP, features are out and not insanely buggy. Not worth 6 or 7k to me

I'm curious at this point if Tesla would ever split what is presently AP and FSD into three packages.

Eventually, once enough FSD-exclusive features are available, they could charge a lot for them, and maybe some people just want auto-lane change and NOA.

Yeah, but if you are a new buyer and you read the website, enhanced summon is already out now. Really. So it isnt an added feature to what is advertised as being released today.

Granted we all know that is a lie on the website, but average Joe buyer probably doesn't.

Reactions: pdx3181

That's pretty much exactly what Elon's twitter says ....

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 2.42.26 PM.png

All Model 3's without EAP can no longer purchase EAP, as far as I understand.

AP upgrade is $3,000. FSD upgrade is available after purchasing AP, and is $6,000. Total upgrade cost is $9,000.

Right, I knew EAP was off the menu. Just wondered what the cumulative cost was for a "bare" car - so, $9k. Thanks!
(So for those who bought no AP in 2018, total FSD cost is $9k. For those who bought EAP, total FSD cost is $11k. Makes sense in some universe) ;)

I'm curious at this point if Tesla would ever split what is presently AP and FSD into three packages.

Eventually, once enough FSD-exclusive features are available, they could charge a lot for them, and maybe some people just want auto-lane change and NOA.

That's the opposite of what they're doing.

AP isn't even a package anymore on new website configured cars- it's just standard- and FSD is the one and only option.

Except what will the take rate be on a $7k FSD package? Even if enhanced summon finally gets released, I doubt that will be enough to make a lot of folks buy in at that price. Especially when you get a lot of bang for your buck with the basic AP that comes with the car. You can't raise prices forever, market forces will eventually intervene. (And enhanced summon should be baked into the current price since it is supposed to include it today. "Really." As the website has said for months).

This was my first thought. It would be very hard to raise the price on something that they haven't even delivered on yet and Enhanced Summon won't be enough. If, however, they were to release some variant of FSD (say handling stoplights, stopsigns, and turns at intersections) then I could see some basis for the price increase.

I'm fully expecting the first version of FSD to be pretty annoying and frustrating but at least they'd have something out there that no one else is even close to (in a consumer driven vehicle) and for that... maybe you can raise the price moderately.