Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD just increased price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happened to the 'half price' FSD that was mentioned at the time of the last price drop? I read something about a $3k price for those that paid full price for AP.

I'm pretty sure they did offer it for $3K to those who previously ordered EAP, but i know that's what i paid during the order process last year so frankly i don't think they should let those with EAP get it for $3K now, 4 or 5K seems more fair.

Good points. You may be right.

I think he's right, in the sense that it was discounted beyond the original price point. What I can see Tesla doing is offering it at the original price point to owners who did not purchase it at that time. For example, it was a $5k option for me, $7k after delivery. Now it is a $6k option on the same configuration, $8k after delivery. I can see Tesla offering a sale to me for $5k or $6k, but no lower than that. If they did that, I'd probably take it.

They already spent the money on the hardware in the cars and software developing. You think you would want the biggest return on your investment, especially at the beginning stages which it clearly still is. Raising the price means less customers are going to purchase it. For a company that has cash issues, its head scratching why they wouldn't lower the price and get everyone to purchase it to get the biggest return. Less and less customers are going to purchase as their cars get older, you're just missing out on easy money

Reactions: GenoM3P and UTMB
And what is annoying is that I never got any direct email from Tesla advising of any price changes. I only had an idea from what I read on this forum. What about all the non-geeks who don't keep up? I really didn't believe they would jack my FSD price up from $3k to $8k. Had I got an official email warning from Tesla, I might have gone for it. Just think of how much cash they would rake in if they sent out an email today to all Tesla owners stating $2k for AP and $3k for FSD for the next 48 hours.

And just think of how many missed out on the $5k PU refund because they don't read the forums. Wow.

• Love
Reactions: Sherlo
They already spent the money on the hardware in the cars and software developing. You think you would want the biggest return on your investment, especially at the beginning stages which it clearly still is. Raising the price means less customers are going to purchase it. For a company that has cash issues, its head scratching why they wouldn't lower the price and get everyone to purchase it to get the biggest return. Less and less customers are going to purchase as their cars get older, you're just missing out on easy money

I purchased FSD because of FOMO and reading how the current hw2.5 runs near capacity. At most this means hw2.5 will get bug fixes and will not have more major features. My other thoughts was that Elon and co often add unannounced features and that may not be part of the main bullet points for FSD. I do understand that most are satisfied with how AP/EAP provides and cruise control works for most also. Its is not a compelling reason to upgrade. So perhaps in the future FSD has some hot feature that drivers will want in the future. Its a gamble Im willing to take at $2k. Perhaps things like avoiding potholes are possible with current sensors but everything must be computed in real time to make it happen.

Reactions: Tezlah
Another angry 2018 EAP buyer who got a $52k car that now becomes a
$58k car just to have current hardware. Of that, $11k is for autopilot stuff.

I love the M3, but NOA is still more like riding a bucking horse than a stress-free
elevator ride, from Elon Musk's analogy. E.g. it's braking out of nowhere, missing
imperfectly painted lines and I'm having to grab the wheel to stop heading into the
shoulder. It comes down to how much you love that crazy horse.

General satisfaction level affects how I evaluate it, and how I see future potential.
I would have been OK at 8k total automation price, like in a $3k EAP->FSD upgrade.
It's cash Tesla could have easily gotten from all the EAP early adopters. But not
another $6k, that's not financed, it's pull out the cash today.

There's that emotional cost/benefit impression that colors my point of view.
If I pay a for-hire driver $25/hr to take me to work, I'll forgive him a few jerks.
But if I pay $500/hr, I'm going to be furious and fire his butt for the same ineptness.

The more $ Tesla squeezes, the less forgiving my grading of the system.

Yeah I know, nobody cares. But it's been said that since Tesla doesn't advertise
we are the key in enthusiastically spreading the word. Or not.

Last edited:
Sure is.

Model 3 UI concerns, a wiki

I can corroborate the above information with my own experiences at the service center.

Bug reports get saved in your car and can be downloaded by service personnel. It takes a snapshot of all driving conditions at the time.

I'm not saying that the data doesn't get stored in the car.

I'm saying that the data is NOT just for the service center. Bug reports are downloaded by Tesla themselves....not just their service centers. Most service centers don't even know how to pull the data. They engage the engineers at Tesla for advice once they have exhausted prelim diagnostics.

This is absolutely True.

Do you have a snoop program on a PC? Wireshark is free. If so....have you ever watched the IP address of your Tesla for incoming queries? I can help you see them if you like.

mine went to $8k lol yeah never gonna happen.

Your FSD is $8K total on top of the base car price, which included Basic AP.
Right now, for that, you'd get NOA, Autopark, assisted lane changes, etc.
And future potential.

Try mine. I already paid $5k on top of base car price for "Enhanced Autopilot".
I'd pay an extra $3k. But they want an additional $6k for FSD = $11k total.
And right now, for that, I'd get absolutely nothing more. Only future potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherlo
And future potential.

And right now, for that, I'd get absolutely nothing more. Only future potential.
I thought EAP owners were getting a different price for FSD since they moved the "included" functions and pricing around? Since most the EAP features are only in FSD now.

It was confusing enough between AP, EAP, FSD, and pricing changes....but now they dropped EAP, included, AP, and shuffles the features I have no idea what's what!

And future potential.

I think I'm up to $11K as well under different circumstances. Bought right at the end of Q1 this year without AP. So AP is $3,000 and FSD is $8000.

Some $5k EAP buyers got a brief window in March to buy the additional FSD for $2K,
OK, but we weren't notified. That would have made the total FSD cost $7k, in line with
what others are paying. Then it jumped to $5k, and now to $6k, making the total $11k.

The idea that we must sit at the feet of Musk's Twitter rants to know about pricing
changes is absurd. Like The White House? I don't WANT a Twitter acct.

@willow_hiller are you sure your $8k FSD add-on doesn't cover AP as well?

This really is getting to be a car for the 1%. And I'm not.

One minute I see Musk as a kindred soul, the next minute he's just another huckster.
In one perspective he's visionary and exaggerates a bit, in another he's just spouting BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: GenoM3P