Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD just increased price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some $5k EAP buyers got a brief window in March to buy the additional FSD for $2K,
OK, but we weren't notified. That would have made the total FSD cost $7k, in line with
what others are paying. Then it jumped to $5k, and now to $6k, making the total $11k.

The idea that we must sit at the feet of Musk's Twitter rants to know about pricing
changes is absurd. Like The White House? I don't WANT a Twitter acct.

@willow_hiller are you sure your $8k FSD add-on doesn't cover AP as well?

This really is getting to be a car for the 1%. And I'm not.

One minute I see Musk as a kindred soul, the next minute he's just another huckster.
In one perspective he's visionary and exaggerates a bit, in another he's just spouting BS.

I'm on the AP trial right now, which quotes AP as $3,000 and FSD as $6,500. When I check just FSD the total is $9,500, and I'm reasonably sure that FSD goes up to $8,000 after the end of the trial.

Last edited:
And I really just want to love Elon Musk.
But he's making it too much work.

and if he says he has to pay 25% tariff on the made in
China 3.0 boards, and screen, and the 2.5 boards and
everything else on the car but the Panasonic batteries,
I'd say, then why didn't you have them made in USA,
in your Gigafactory - like I thought they were? See?

@willow_hiller, then take the whole package
at $8500, it's as good as it gets now.

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
Some $5k EAP buyers got a brief window in March to buy the additional FSD for $2K,
OK, but we weren't notified. That would have made the total FSD cost $7k, in line with
what others are paying. Then it jumped to $5k, and now to $6k, making the total $11k.

The idea that we must sit at the feet of Musk's Twitter rants to know about pricing

One minute I see Musk as a kindred soul, the next minute he's just another huckster.
In one perspective he's visionary and exaggerates a bit, in another he's just spouting BS.

Pretty much sums up my experience and costs. Paid 5K for EAP (and was never given the option to purchase FSD at purchase). It wasn't a drop-down option in Nov'18 and my sales contact never informed me. Missed the March sale as I wasn't active on this forum. Now the cost is 6K FSD for total 11K.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I just have not had a good experience with AP or FSD. I posted this in another thread unrelated to FSD but I’ll repost here to share my experience with using AP/FSD in highly congested Southern California traffic.

1) Lane change never happens because there is always a car in my blind spot and the car doesn’t have the wherewithal to know how to speed up or slow down to merge into a congested lane.

2) The car goes full speed down the freeway even when the lane on my left or right is moving significantly slower. Then inevitably are car in the slow lane wants to dart into my lane so they put their turn signal on and then abruptly merge right in front of me and cut me off. The FSD computer does not recognize turn signals from cars in front of it so it can’t anticipate a sudden lane change, so instead of slowing down to prepare for an incoming car in my lane it just goes full speed ahead and then slams the brakes on when the car merges in front of me.

3) When driving in normal heavy traffic sometimes there is plenty of room in front of me to go 65 mph but it detects a shadow or other phantom obstacle on the road and then suddenly slows down to 50 mph and I have to immediately take it out of FSD and speed the car up again.

4) It tells me I need to change lanes to prepare for an exit three miles before I need to and I end up getting stuck in a slow moving lane with a bunch of trucks in it for the next three miles instead of just driving in a faster lane and then merging when I get closer to the exit.

5) When I have passengers in the car they comment that the car feels really abrupt and jerky in FSD mode and that when I manually drive the car myself it feels so much more relaxing to them.

The M3 is such a fun car to drive that I just don’t feel the desire to take myself out of the experience. I spend more time stressing about what mistakes FSD is going to make rather than just enjoying the serene feeling of driving the car myself.

When I do longer drives in uncongested areas such as a drive out to Las Vegas the FSD works fine. But I just don’t do those drives often enough to justify spending $9K on AP/FSD.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I just have not had a good experience with AP or FSD. I posted this in another thread unrelated to FSD but I’ll repost here to share my experience with using AP/FSD in highly congested Southern California traffic.

1) Lane change never happens because there is always a car in my blind spot and the car doesn’t have the wherewithal to know how to speed up or slow down to merge into a congested lane.

2) The car goes full speed down the freeway even when the lane on my left or right is moving significantly slower. Then inevitably are car in the slow lane wants to dart into my lane so they put their turn signal on and then abruptly merge right in front of me and cut me off. The FSD computer does not recognize turn signals from cars in front of it so it can’t anticipate a sudden lane change, so instead of slowing down to prepare for an incoming car in my lane it just goes full speed ahead and then slams the brakes on when the car merges in front of me.

3) When driving in normal heavy traffic sometimes there is plenty of room in front of me to go 65 mph but it detects a shadow or other phantom obstacle on the road and then suddenly slows down to 50 mph and I have to immediately take it out of FSD and speed the car up again.

4) It tells me I need to change lanes to prepare for an exit three miles before I need to and I end up getting stuck in a slow moving lane with a bunch of trucks in it for the next three miles instead of just driving in a faster lane and then merging when I get closer to the exit.

5) When I have passengers in the car they comment that the car feels really abrupt and jerky in FSD mode and that when I manually drive the car myself it feels so much more relaxing to them.

The M3 is such a fun car to drive that I just don’t feel the desire to take myself out of the experience. I spend more time stressing about what mistakes FSD is going to make rather than just enjoying the serene feeling of driving the car myself.

When I do longer drives in uncongested areas such as a drive out to Las Vegas the FSD works fine. But I just don’t do those drives often enough to justify spending $9K on AP/FSD.
Try putting your car in MadMax mode. It will really make a big difference. At least, it did for me.

Yes, @OCR1, MadMax (and Sport steering) work much better for me, your points 1, 2 and 4 are mostly non-issues then.

My car's infrequent slowing for ghosts and its occasional boundary confusion, with an urge to drive into the shoulder, make it hard to just "let it be". It also makes some choices that I don't like. It IS a bit of a bucking bronco. But it mostly works. So it becomes a complicated cost/benefit equation, and how we feel about the beast's ongoing evolution, the pricing and the company have a huge impact.

If the purpose of the price hikes was to cut the demand for the FSD 3.0 installations, I suspect they're succeeding.

I'm very glad that I pulled the trigger and bought both EAP and FSD both in March. People that had bought cars late last year bitched and moaned when the cars dropped in price and for a short period of time Tesla cut the price for both together for $5K. I had not purchased any of the auto pilot/full self driving when I bought the car.

Reactions: azred

Elon says tesla’s Are capable of FSD with just a software update, but what he fails to mention is that he prices the update out of reach of many of his customers!

Since the FSD upgrade includes the ($200?) new 3.0 board, he'd have a
good number of the $5k EAP owners willing to pay a reasonable upgrade
FSD fee for that, like $2-3K, in spite of no immediate benefit. Good for his
cash flow. But I doubt a lot of folks with already a $750 car payment were
joyfully jumping at an extra $5k in cash, and now $6k ? WTF, Elon?

Last edited:
*When FSD price was on sale in March:*

Early adopters: "They promised it would be more expensive later! But now it's cheaper!"

Everyone else: "Don't be upset other people are getting a good deal"

*FSD price goes up*

Everyone who hasn't purchased: "they guaranteed me this price! They can't raise the price! They should do this/that/the other [that will save me money]!"

Disclaimer: I'm an early adopters for FSD, and definitely complained about pricing

Imagine the backlash if he decided to make it free. I suspect you’d be thrilled if you hadn’t yet bought your car and pissed off if you had.

Point taken, but does it make sense to charge a high price and then raise it higher for a feature that doesn’t exist? How do customers make an informed decision as to whether FSD is worth it based on promises that so far have not been met?

plan and simple, FSD is not worth the price of $8k now with what features are currently offered. No way. Wait for it to come back down, eventually it will.
I agree that it is not worth the price. However, i would be surprised if it comes down. Right now it is in beta, so it means people would have paid more for a beta product than a complete product if it gets cheaper.

Agreed. I have showed my M3 to my friends and family and everyone thinks the "drive itself " or as we know it FSD feature is included into the car. They dont realize you have to pay extra for it. Then I tell them how much it is and they are like "why is it that much? isnt all the hardware already in the car?" So yes you can get a electric car for $35k..but thats all your getting, you arent getting what everyone think a Tesla is. After fees, and autopilot..or even heated seats you are looking at $45k at a minimum. Unfortunately I was under the impression the Model 3 was going to be the car for the mainstream and not the luxury brand like the S and X are but its not quite there yet. Even the Model Y will start at $40k ...you will end up having to pay at least $45k and might not even get heated seats

Last edited:
Agreed. I have showed my M3 to my friends and family and everyone thinks the "drive itself " or as we know it FSD feature is included into the car. They dont realize you have to pay extra for it. Then I tell them how much it is and they are like "why is it that much? isnt all the hardware already in the car?" So yes you can get a electric car for $35k..but thats all your getting, you arent getting what everyone think a Tesla is. After fees, and autopilot..or even heated seats you are looking at $45k at a minimum. Unfortunately I was under the impression the Model 3 was going to be the car for the mainstream and not the luxury brand like the S and X are but its not quite there yet. Even the Model Y will start at $40k ...you will end up having to pay at least $45k and might not even get heated seats
I think Tesla's mistake is not really pushing that these cars are BMW competitors. I think that would put the pricing in context (and performance) for more people.

I think Tesla's mistake is not really pushing that these cars are BMW competitors. I think that would put the pricing in context (and performance) for more people.

Or alternatively, their mistake is not offering some sort of financing for adding software after purchase.

We saved for an EV for years, budgeted for the SR+ when it was announced, and were just able to swing it by skipping AP/FSD. The only other EV we considered prior to the SR+ was the Kona, and one of the factors that swayed our decision was the fact that we would need to shell out $10,000 extra immediately to get the Ultimate trim for TACC; and if we didn't buy the Ultimate trim immediately, it's not possible to upgrade the trim. With the SR+, we bought as much as we could afford, and now we're going to need to save up for another year or so to afford the upgrade.

In retrospect, we probably could have added the software to our autoloan with a modest increase in our monthly payment, but we weren't prepared to take that big of a loan. If Tesla offered some sort of monthly payment plan for the software, we could pay them a little bit for it over time instead of holding out for another year, or until the next big sale...

Or alternatively, their mistake is not offering some sort of financing for adding software after purchase.

We saved for an EV for years, budgeted for the SR+ when it was announced, and were just able to swing it by skipping AP/FSD. The only other EV we considered prior to the SR+ was the Kona, and one of the factors that swayed our decision was the fact that we would need to shell out $10,000 extra immediately to get the Ultimate trim for TACC; and if we didn't buy the Ultimate trim immediately, it's not possible to upgrade the trim. With the SR+, we bought as much as we could afford, and now we're going to need to save up for another year or so to afford the upgrade.

In retrospect, we probably could have added the software to our autoloan with a modest increase in our monthly payment, but we weren't prepared to take that big of a loan. If Tesla offered some sort of monthly payment plan for the software, we could pay them a little bit for it over time instead of holding out for another year, or until the next big sale...
I think they should offer subscription pricing for software. Maybe when they get around to charging us for LTE data services they will be able to also do other software.