Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or not FSD

Did you purchase FSD option?

• Yes

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • No. It is not worth it.

Votes: 55 59.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, in the UK it's not worth it (yet). A lot of it might depend on how long you plan to keep the car.

If it was for an account, rather than a car, it would be a more attractive proposition

Really not sure why they haven't gone down the account route. Considering its essentially just a software update on compatible cars. I would be very tempted to buy it if it was account based rather than on my car which I am likely to change in 3 years.

Really not sure why they haven't gone down the account route. Considering its essentially just a software update on compatible cars. I would be very tempted to buy it if it was account based rather than on my car which I am likely to change in 3 years.
If they sell it per car then they get a sale every time you buy a new car assuming you want it and if you trade your old Tesla in to them then they can sell FSD on that car again. Being able to sell the same thing more than once and potentially at a higer price every time is a real winner for a business.

trade your old Tesla in to them then they can sell FSD on that car again. Being able to sell the same thing more than once and potentially at a higer price every time is a real winner for a business.
The possibility exists but I don’t think there’s any evidence of them doing that. Only well publicised instance was when FSD or unlimited SuC and was previously given in error (the car shouldn’t have had it in first place), so they then removed.

The possibility exists but I don’t think there’s any evidence of them doing that. Only well publicised instance was when FSD or unlimited SuC and was previously given in error (the car shouldn’t have had it in first place), so they then removed.
Having FSD on the car doesn't hold much value on a trade in to them but it will certainly hold full value if they resell that car

I should have mine installed this week, an upgrade to HW3 from HW2.5 on my model S LR. It was on 'ahem' offer. Given its a premium model I thought it was worth the upgrade. As for drivability on UK roads will remain to be seen. I have no intention to sell early so 'possibly' might get to use full feature FSD one day

Last edited:
If they sell it per car then they get a sale every time you buy a new car assuming you want it and if you trade your old Tesla in to them then they can sell FSD on that car again. Being able to sell the same thing more than once and potentially at a higer price every time is a real winner for a business.
True in theory except according to the survey only 14.3 % of people are actually buying it. I am one of the other 85.7%. Since I can't see it adding much value during the time I expect to keep the car ( which may be 5 years + BTW) and will add little to the resale. And then there is the risk of writing off the car etc and losing it ( can't see the insurance company giving it much value either). I don't lose software I paid for if I break my laptop so what gives there?
BUT
If I was buying it now and could apply it to any one Tesla I owned in the future well THAT might be a different story. and wouldn't that be a benefit to Tesla in customer loyalty as Joelly already said above? If i owned an FSD software licence it but I bought an ID4 next time around then it would be wasted and the licence would no doubt be non transferable so I couldn't sell it. That could be an even better business model? its been working for Apple for a while now with apps
I think I might be tempted and I have never for one second considered buying it under the current terms. I wouldn't even necessarily need to be a lifetime licence. I think it would need to be at least 20 years to tempt me personally.
I don't think it will happen though. they will go down the subscription model, as they have already said, like most software does these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: G1201

But if I have a £6000 or whatever it is right now "investment" in Tesla, what car am I likely to buy next?

Most people, at least at this level of car, are used to changing every 2-5 years. I think most people agree that in the UK we are unlikely to see a version of FSD that offers real self driving, so unless money is no object they are unlikely to buy FSD at the moment. That would change if you could take it with you to their future cars IMO.

I specced it simply because I felt that the car driving itself was its USP. It's quite a thing to see it driving itself around, even as hobbled as Summon is.

I try not to think about the sunk cost. I would agree that objectively speaking it is definitely not worth the money and won't be worth whatever it costs come July. I was quietly hoping the talk of UNECE restrictions being relaxed would come to something, but alas not.

(I'm talking about FSD in Europe here, specifically the UK. At least in the States you can get the car to drive to you from some distance, iirc 60 metres range)

I bought it, am slightly disappointed with the functionality but appreciate much is currently nerfed by the UN/EU regulations. I don’t regret the purchase at all … I thought the car would feel incomplete without it. I believe many of the upcoming updates will centre around FSD functionality; I didn’t want to miss out on these - even if nerfed.

Reactions: Durzel
Bought it in the AP 'fire sale' a while back, £4500 to go from no AP to FSD.

Currently waiting to be offered the HW3 rerofit which is happening in the states already.

It's actually not a lot to pay to effectively make a car we bought in 2016 bang uptodate, especially if I go for the MCU2 retofit as well. Add in the CCS retoftit which is already done Tesla have kept our car uptodate in a way no other manufactures have done before.

• Love
Reactions: pow216 and OPRCE
I bought FSD for $5k with the car in 2018, intending to hold it for 20 years. I expect it will achieve L4 with HW4 and a new 3D integrated radar sensor by Jan 2024.

Meantime I got the upgrade to HW3 a fortnight ago and notice a significant improvement in AP, so am quite happy enough with the purchase. Although the pace of progress has been glacial up to now, I definitely think FSD development & features will start to pick up sharply over the rest of this year.

However, regulations in Europe look likely to remain a stumbling block for the next year at least.