Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or not FSD

Did you purchase FSD option?

• Yes

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • No. It is not worth it.

Votes: 55 59.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Model S with HW 2.5 to 3 yesterday. Job took 3 hours

My basic settings were reset, the car took a few miles to calibrate. First initial impressions, the car has a faster response to steering control, quicker but smaller turn angles to correct the line. I didn't get much variance in driving as it was mostly motorway route home.

Awaiting now the rewrite of software

Did you go for MCU upgrade too? I was sure I wanted to go for MCU2 upgrade too, but can think of better things to do with £2.5k, quite happy with how MCU1 is performing these days.

"FSD or not FSD?"
Not. I doubt it'll ever work well.
Remember life before SatNav? FSD will be just the same.No one thought SpaceX could land a rocket and re-use it, but they did. I think FSD is absolutely within the realms of computer tech. It's just so different to our current expectations. Tesla's Andrej Karpathy is a smart guy and he thinks they can do it.

Reactions: Dutchie
I can’t see me buying into FSD anytime soon. As it stands, ordinary AP is borderline useable. In terms of Lane-keep it’s only fair, speed limit changes come way too late or not at all and shying at non existent obstacles is just plain unacceptable.
Only last week, I was travelling on an empty A-road and AP braked sharply when it encountered a shadow cast on the road by adjacent trees.
If I am ever to be persuaded to buy into FSD, the included basic AP will have to be a rock solid taste of what FSD can provide. The buy it cheap now or pay more later philosophy is not a sales pitch that I will ever fall for.
I hope that the software teams will spend more time on the important things rather than tarting up the entertainment.

Reactions: Artiste
Remember life before SatNav? FSD will be just the same.No one thought SpaceX could land a rocket and re-use it, but they did. I think FSD is absolutely within the realms of computer tech. It's just so different to our current expectations. Tesla's Andrej Karpathy is a smart guy and he thinks they can do it.

Some one brighter than me once stated that 'If it doesn't breach the laws of physics it can be done'
However I don't believe a true FSD in the sense of being able to drive anywhere on any route and road is achievable with the current hardware - you require a lot more redundancy and resolution and anticipation and that means way faster and larger processing power than HW3.
Driving on protected routes and routes with traffic-aware pedestrians (such as city arteries and slow main throroughfares as well as motorways) may well be in the ability of HW3 but once you get to residential areas with skateboards and kids dashing out between cars, stray dogs or rural areas with wandering livestock and ramblers not paying attention or single track roads with intermitent passing areas it's be many, many years...

Reactions: Joelly
Some one brighter than me once stated that 'If it doesn't breach the laws of physics it can be done'
However I don't believe a true FSD in the sense of being able to drive anywhere on any route and road is achievable with the current hardware - you require a lot more redundancy and resolution and anticipation and that means way faster and larger processing power than HW3.
Driving on protected routes and routes with traffic-aware pedestrians (such as city arteries and slow main throroughfares as well as motorways) may well be in the ability of HW3 but once you get to residential areas with skateboards and kids dashing out between cars, stray dogs or rural areas with wandering livestock and ramblers not paying attention or single track roads with intermitent passing areas it's be many, many years...
It is improving exponentially

Thats seems to be a step forward in a number of areas.

I suspect a well 'rehearsed' section though as there were many pertinent manual speed changes, some due to speed limit changes (a known limitation), but others I suspect to keep lateral forces in check. Thats not a criticism though. The system as it stands now is not for driving in those situations (its currently for highway driving) it can be forgiven that the functionality to handle these situations is limited in its functionality. The ability to read road speed signs will be a big step and EM has said that it is coming - watching that drive, it makes you realise how much critical information is also painted on the road, so lets hope they can be taken into account along with improvements to better track a corner. I'm not a fan of having a system reliant on maps to be able to drive, so hope they can keep that reliance and on fleet speeds to a minimum.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
It's not an exponential improvement. It's a bit of an improvement and on a road like that it depends on luck - dry conditions, no suprises and an attentive back-up human and the line it takes is different to mine where I'll bias my road position by the line through bends, keeping as far away from narrow verges/hedges if no on-coming or possible overtaking traffic etc.
it's not rated for that road and won't be for some time, won't cope with complex roundabouts (whatever EM claims) for years, will be knobbled by a thick spray of mud or condensation on it's cams etc.

See it more as

A level 2 lane keep and active cruise where the driver has to say alert v a level 2 lane keep and active cruise control that can do a few extra things but where the driver still has to stay alert.

The real shift is level 3 which is all about handing control and responsibility over to the car for even parts of your drive and which is nowhere near at the moment.

To compare to sat nav, it’s like comparing basic sat nav and sat nav with waypoints, avoid tolls, postcode support etc. Sure it’s a bit better and got more features but the basic features of keeping you between white lines and a set distance to the car in front is the same.

Was FSD actually used in that journey as opposed to standard Autopilot?

No parts of that trip used any additional FSD features* at current point in time. Come later part of the year. FSD will play its part at the junction (it should stop) and possibly with other features that may be reserved for FSD - possibly speed limit recognition - but just a guess based upon Autopilot is for Highways and FSD is for city driving too, so bit of a blurred distinction. Neither officially supports that journey at present in UK, but that may all change when the rumoured FSD update coming around July to justify the expected price increase.

* Some info from a while back says that FSD utilises all 8 cameras but AP only uses 4, but I think that info is possibly stale now especially when AP rewrite comes a long. I think that will remain the case with pre HW3 though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadScientist