Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price drop to $3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man I am in the same boat. My MVPA shows $3,000 AP and $5,000 FSD options. I don't really care about FSD since it's not a real thing. But I do love the idea of NoA. I could get the FSD removed from my purchase to save $5,000 but I just can't be sure if it will have NoA or not. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could make sure I'd still have NoA
If it’s a 2018 that was originally configured with EAP, there’s a good chance that EAP is still configured. Unfortunately, you won’t know until you have hands on and you’d have no guarantee that Tesla wouldn’t remove it during an update if you only paid $3k for autopilot.

My car was a 2016 X P100D with EAP on the order sheet. When NOA came out, I didn’t get the feature because it turns out it was originally ordered with the AP1 $2.5k option when they switched to AP2 in build. Because I had paid $5k for EAP, Tesla rebuilt the config with the full EAP options.

Man I am in the same boat. My MVPA shows $3,000 AP and $5,000 FSD options. I don't really care about FSD since it's not a real thing. But I do love the idea of NoA. I could get the FSD removed from my purchase to save $5,000 but I just can't be sure if it will have NoA or not. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could make sure I'd still have NoA

More than likely, if you are showing AP+FSD on your agreement, and have them pull FSD, you'll lose all the features you desire... Since in this case, you're making a substantial change, and, I'm sure that their systems will process that in the backend, and probably send the removal to the vehicle.

I recently bought a MS 100D which had EAP and have this evening decided to take advantage of the new reduced price of upgrading to FSD. As there remains some uncertainty as to what and when FSD will deliver this is a bit of a gamble ... but in my opinion (influenced by watching in full the Autonomy Day presentation) Elon is too heavily invested in FSD to have made completely false promises so I think that this is a gamble which will pay off. Time will tell

I agree Elon is fully invested in FSD But sometimes his heart is bigger than his brain. And by that I mean he falls in love with an idea or vision without regard for the practicality of it. I worry that is the case with FSD.

Just in case anyone has not learned the lesson by now, it's best to wait and pay for features that actually exist (I'm not talking about deposits on future models, which requires a different level of speculation). There will always be a "deal" for FSD upgrades and even better if you know what you are actually getting.

Reactions: kqnjml and rnortman
Hmm. trying to figure out my situation on that flow chart...

In May 2019 I bought a December 2018 inventory car.
Purchase agreement shows $3k Autopilot option.
I have Navigate on Autopilot.
My Tesla account shows $6000 upgrade price for FSD.
I purchased a Nov 2018 inventory car and I have EAP on the purchase agreement and it was billed as a 5000 option. If I had to guess, they repackaged your car to have AP only for 3k to offer a bigger discount but never disabled the NoA. Seems to be pretty common with Tesla, ie to "disable" options via software to sell at a lower price but never actually disable the software.

are you implying that if the physical monroney sticker said "enhanced autopilot" that Tesla cannot legally remove it from the car?

I'm no lawyer but I suspect that's how windows stickers work. Mostly I just wanted to know for that particular owner what it says because they were not able to identify why they have enhanced auto pilot one their vehicle but not in their paperwork.

I'm no lawyer but I suspect that's how windows stickers work. Mostly I just wanted to know for that particular owner what it says because they were not able to identify why they have enhanced auto pilot one their vehicle but not in their paperwork.

The Monroney sticker can't be fully trusted.

If I purchased a vehicle that listed 22 inch wheels, but, had them downgrade them to 20 inch wheels, and my agreement and payment reflected the 20 inch wheel, can I go back and then ask for the 22s? The binding agreement isn't the Monroney, it's the purchase agreement. If for example, I had them deduct the cost for the 22s, but, they failed to remove them and I drove off the lot with 22s, I now have a set of 22s that I didn't actually pay for, but, I have them.

With the EAP/AP fiasco, Tesla screwed with people... EAP was in the car, but, they marked the agreement as AP... If the owner knew or didn't know that EAP was activated, but paid for AP, then, they came out ahead... But, considering that AP is sold for less than EAP was, then, Tesla is still correct in charging the full price for the upgrade, as they only ever sold them AP, but the customer received something better without any additional cost to them. In fact, Tesla could, in their right, downgrade them from EAP to AP, though, I'm sure that would cause some backlash, but, it would be within Tesla's rights, as they could state that the owner received a "trial" or something they didn't actually own, and, were removing the feature set.

On the contrary, this is for EAP owners only. In other words, it's correcting a pricing mistake. Those that got AP for free can upgrade to FSD for $6k, but those who had previously shelled out $5k for EAP were also being asked to pay $6k to get FSD. Now they're being asked for $3k, for a total of $8k.
Still more expensive than the current buyers to get to full FSD. But less egregious.

I think you are right. I just priced a new performance S with “autopilot included” and the FSD is still listed as a $6000 option.

If I purchased a vehicle that listed 22 inch wheels, but, had them downgrade them to 20 inch wheels, and my agreement and payment reflected the 20 inch wheel, can I go back and then ask for the 22s? The binding agreement isn't the Monroney, it's the purchase agreement. If for example, I had them deduct the cost for the 22s, but, they failed to remove them and I drove off the lot with 22s, I now have a set of 22s that I didn't actually pay for, but, I have them.

Excellent point good sir!

Mostly I was curious what it showed for the poster.

With the EAP/AP fiasco, Tesla screwed with people... EAP was in the car, but, they marked the agreement as AP... If the owner knew or didn't know that EAP was activated, but paid for AP, then, they came out ahead... But, considering that AP is sold for less than EAP was, then, Tesla is still correct in charging the full price for the upgrade, as they only ever sold them AP, but the customer received something better without any additional cost to them. In fact, Tesla could, in their right, downgrade them from EAP to AP, though, I'm sure that would cause some backlash, but, it would be within Tesla's rights, as they could state that the owner received a "trial" or something they didn't actually own, and, were removing the feature set.

This is a good discussion and I appreciate all the different perspectives. That being said, I’d like to revisit two points on the quoted response.

1: If you did drive home with the 22s, would Tesla have the right to remove them if you brought the vehicle in for service a week or a month later? According to the purchase agreement you didn’t buy them from Tesla.

2: If Tesla downgraded the software months or even years later from EAP to AP based on a purchase agreement, would that be any different than them removing the 22 inch wheels that were delivered with the vehicle by ‘mistake’ when it got brought in for service?

Should there be a difference between software and physical items on a car? I have not read the licensing agreement if there is one.

I realize I’m straying from the title of the thread, but the discussion has been good and all the points valid. Thanks to all for that. BTW, Tesla Sales and the SC say if the EAP is on the car, but not PURCHASED, then the discount does not apply. Splitting hairs about ownership and possession.

This is a good discussion and I appreciate all the different perspectives. That being said, I’d like to revisit two points on the quoted response.

1: If you did drive home with the 22s, would Tesla have the right to remove them if you brought the vehicle in for service a week or a month later? According to the purchase agreement you didn’t buy them from Tesla.

2: If Tesla downgraded the software months or even years later from EAP to AP based on a purchase agreement, would that be any different than them removing the 22 inch wheels that were delivered with the vehicle by ‘mistake’ when it got brought in for service?

Should there be a difference between software and physical items on a car? I have not read the licensing agreement if there is one.

I realize I’m straying from the title of the thread, but the discussion has been good and all the points valid. Thanks to all for that. BTW, Tesla Sales and the SC say if the EAP is on the car, but not PURCHASED, then the discount does not apply. Splitting hairs about ownership and possession.

If I did drive home with those 22s, I'm sure there could be some trouble (e.g. they could send me a letter, notice, or otherwise, as I technically stole those wheels). I'm sure this kind of mistake doesn't happen that often, it's usually going to be the other way around (Monroney lists 20s, I paid for 22s, and they didn't install them).

In the case of the EAP/AP fiasco that you and others are facing, you do have to consider it from a licensing perspective (as Tesla is a software company). License-wise, you paid for Autopilot, and therefore, your upgrade cost should be $6K to FSD. As for what you have (EAP), that's just something you can consider as a long-term trial version that may or may not get deactivated. If you are able to talk to Tesla and convince them to upgrade you to FSD @ $3k, then, you got a massive discount going from AP->FSD for only $3k.

Ownership and Possession are usual for tangible goods, but, with AutoPilot, you're dealing with a license, as no tangible good are being sold, so, they could do as they please. One thing they shouldn't be doing is taxing it, I believe... There's no physical product, and therefore, tax shouldn't apply...

Can anyone advise that if we upgrade to FSD will they upgrade the MCU? I currently have a Nov 2017 Model X 100 D with MCU1. Many of the software upgrades are not available for MCU1 so it may be worth the upgrade to FSD if they upgrade you MCU as well?

Can anyone advise that if we upgrade to FSD will they upgrade the MCU? I currently have a Nov 2017 Model X 100 D with MCU1. Many of the software upgrades are not available for MCU1 so it may be worth the upgrade to FSD if they upgrade you MCU as well?
That’s my dilemma as well. It all comes down to timing. If FSD is real within a year I think it’s worth it. If it’s still a few years out then nope.