Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price drop to $3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone advise that if we upgrade to FSD will they upgrade the MCU? I currently have a Nov 2017 Model X 100 D with MCU1. Many of the software upgrades are not available for MCU1 so it may be worth the upgrade to FSD if they upgrade you MCU as well?
Nobody knows and there's no good reason to believe they will. It's a network connected device and most of the communications requirements could be handled in software.

This is just ridiculous. Elon just recently said FSD was so valuable that you should purchase it now if you want it because the price will only go up - and now price is cut in half?!?

Constant flip-flops and changing prices just reeks of a company with no focus and/or desperately trying to raise cash.
They need another five billion. By tomorrow at Noon...

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
I'm not sure that chart is right. I bought an inventory model (10/2018 build date) with EAP and took delivery of it on 3/31/2019. According to that, full FSD says its free for me. But listed as $3000 upgrade. Maybe once new FSD options come out, I will get them?

I'm not sure that chart is right. I bought an inventory model (10/2018 build date) with EAP and took delivery of it on 3/31/2019. According to that, full FSD says its free for me. But listed as $3000 upgrade. Maybe once new FSD options come out, I will get them?

Check this thread

Seems some people did get EAP upgraded to FSD for free. Perhaps you needed to ask for it if the system didn't do it automatically.

When did you actually buy it? Before February 28th? And it was delivered a month later? The chart shows that if you bought the car before February 28th, but, it was delivered after, then, you would get EAP->FSD... Of course, this was a chart compiled by @Troy at the time (chart is dated), however, Tesla, we all know, has made many changes to their pricing and policies.

Well, my issue is I’m almost halfway thru a 36-mo. lease on an EAP 2018 S75D. Unsure if I’m keeping it because something better for me may come out by then (signif upgrade to the Model S, or pickup becomes available early, or maybe even the Model Y strikes my fancy, etc.) and yet I do expect FSD to go up from the $3K price offered today by ... someone said mid-August?
Also even if I did jump on it now, I’d be paying $3K in the Hope that FSD was indeed activated before lease end so I could at least try it out first and, if there’s no major S refresh and I decide to keep this car I would have gotten it for just $3K.

Last edited:
Well, my issue is I’m almost halfway thru a 36-mo. lease on an EAP 2018 S75D. Unsure if I’m keeping it because something better for me may come out by then (signif upgrade to the Model S, or pickup becomes available early, or maybe even the Model Y strikes my fancy, etc.) and yet I do expect FSD to go up from the $3K price offered today by ... someone said mid-August?
Also even if I did jump on it now, I’d be paying $3K in the Hope that FSD was indeed activated before lease end so I could at least try it out first and, if there’s no major S refresh and I decide to keep this car I would have gotten it for just $3K.

Right now there’s no benefit to having FSD in addition to EAP. If you plan to change cars in 18 months, it’s likely the FSD won’t add significant function before the end of your lease, so I think I’d save my money. It’s a $3k bet. I think it’s a loser. You can take that $3k and put it into the new car if you like.

I can’t speak for others but I think FSD is likely 5-10 years away. It depends a lot on what you want from the FSD, for me with highway use the EAP is pretty close to a “FSD” with supervision. With the automatic lane changing, that’s a new feature. It changes lanes far more often than I would so I don’t think it is there yet.

As far as going out, drinking a snootful, then climbing into the back seat and telling my Tesla to take me home, well that will be a very long way off. I’m hoping it gets here before I age to the point that my driving is no longer an option. Then I can get into my then elderly Tesla and get it to take me wherever it is that my addled brain thinks it wants to go.

When did you actually buy it? Before February 28th? And it was delivered a month later? The chart shows that if you bought the car before February 28th, but, it was delivered after, then, you would get EAP->FSD... Of course, this was a chart compiled by @Troy at the time (chart is dated), however, Tesla, we all know, has made many changes to their pricing and policies.

The chart doesnt say bought, but rather ordered. So is that when it was built or when I requested the delivery? As I bought an inventory model, brand new, that was built in October, but I didnt get it until 3/31, you can understand the confusion.

The chart doesnt say bought, but rather ordered. So is that when it was built or when I requested the delivery? As I bought an inventory model, brand new, that was built in October, but I didnt get it until 3/31, you can understand the confusion.

That chart is mainly for those that had done a custom order. Since you purchased inventory, that free upgrade doesn't apply.

Car gave a message box notice within the hour. Firmware did not yet update, I'm still on 24.4
You don't get new firmware when you upgrade/unlock FSD. All that happens is that the Tesla mothership logs into your car and issues a command on MCU to unlock FSD functionality within your car configuration stored on the car's gateway. It's just a flag that changes. You don't even need a reboot.

If you already have EAP, you'll not notice any differences. If all you have was plain AP, FSD features will start working. There's no separate "FSD" firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688