Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increase on Jan 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the unpopular opinion: we purchased FSD Capability almost 4 years ago and it’s been great (even before getting added to FSD beta program a few months ago), probably because our expectations have always been pretty tempered. We will be buying another Tesla (probably another 3) soon and will again pay for that package (hopefully it’s still $12k then). The added features and improvements for the last 3 years over what it would be like if we didn’t purchase has been great. The added features and improvements alone are not worth it, but since we don’t plan on selling the cars for many years (probably just drive them into the ground), seems worth it to us to lock in the price and reap the benefits for years to come.

We have the unpopular opinion: we purchased FSD Capability almost 4 years ago and it’s been great (even before getting added to FSD beta program a few months ago), probably because our expectations have always been pretty tempered. We will be buying another Tesla (probably another 3) soon and will again pay for that package (hopefully it’s still $12k then). The added features and improvements for the last 3 years over what it would be like if we didn’t purchase has been great. The added features and improvements alone are not worth it, but since we don’t plan on selling the cars for many years (probably just drive them into the ground), seems worth it to us to lock in the price and reap the benefits for years to come.
That's a resptable opinion. As long as you're willing to pay for it and you are ok with the features as it currently stands, it's fine. The issue with most people is that Elon's promise - FULL SELF DRIVING..... Also, the used car market is definitely NOT pricing in the FSD being 10k over, so that's the way how the real market values it.

Again, it's personal decision. We should respect everyone's decision.

That's a resptable opinion. As long as you're willing to pay for it and you are ok with the features as it currently stands, it's fine. The issue with most people is that Elon's promise - FULL SELF DRIVING..... Also, the used car market is definitely NOT pricing in the FSD being 10k over, so that's the way how the real market values it.

Agreed, I just don't have the willpower to drive a Tesla into the ground. If the plan is to hold on to the car for a long period of time - could be a good decision. Just plan for retrofits and possible EOL if new camera positions are added or new tech isn't compatible with older cars.

Reactions: Sporty and TresLA

Yeah, we have never been convinced by the time tables Elon states, but based on the last 4 years of experience I’m pretty sure it will continue to improve. An interesting question that has helped us feel good about the purchase is: what do you call a feature that’s better than just lane keeping and auto-lane changing on the highway, but not so advanced that you can sleep in the backseat while your car drives you home? Or in other words, what’s in between what we have today and that future promise of level 4 FSD? How do we categorize a car that the driver still has to take over at the beginning and end of a drive (driveway, parking lots, alleyways) and maybe every hundred miles or so, but otherwise handles all public road traffic just fine? We just don’t have concepts of what’s between present day and “true full self driving”.

Agreed, I just don't have the willpower to drive a Tesla into the ground. If the plan is to hold on to the car for a long period of time - could be a good decision. Just plan for retrofits and possible EOL if new camera positions are added or new tech isn't compatible with older cars.
I'm with you, if the purchase is transferrable, I would have bought it long time ago. I'm going to be getting my 4th Tesla due to the crazy used car market and Covid, can't imagine paying 10k or 12k each time when no one else in the used car market is willing to pay for the FSD.

Reactions: Sporty
I'm with you, if the purchase is transferrable, I would have bought it long time ago. I'm going to be getting my 4th Tesla due to the crazy used car market and Covid, can't imagine paying 10k or 12k each time when no one else in the used car market is willing to pay for the FSD.
Once FSD is widely available, people will pay for it in Used market.

Elon Holmes. How are Elon’s representations for FSD much different from Elizabeth Holmes’. Both knowingly unrealistic timelines. Both knowingly exaggerated the technological capabilities. Both knowingly lied to customers. With one the answer is we know he is lying, he does it all the time. It’s just puffery. The other is going to jail.
I bought FSD with my 2020 X. Had I known I’d have to wait this long or drive like a little old lady to get what I paid for I would not do it again. Everyday I wish I had put that money towards getting a performance model instead of FSD.

Elon Holmes. How are Elon’s representations for FSD much different from Elizabeth Holmes’. Both knowingly unrealistic timelines. Both knowingly exaggerated the technological capabilities. Both knowingly lied to customers. With one the answer is we know he is lying, he does it all the time. It’s just puffery. The other is going to jail.
I bought FSD with my 2020 X. Had I known I’d have to wait this long or drive like a little old lady to get what I paid for I would not do it again. Everyday I wish I had put that money towards getting a performance model instead of FSD.
Or Tesla stock.

Once FSD is widely available, people will pay for it in Used market.
Nope, once it is really available (years from now) Tesla will not be the only company to offer it. Prices will go down and most likely it will be close to free as they will need data, lots of it, to keep it working.
All of you who paid and keep paying, I thank you as you are the ones driving the industry forward with your money, but don't think this is a good investment, because it is not.

HW3 and MCU2 are the requirements. There are a great many three year old Teslas with this hardware, and the FSD software is the same.

When I purchased, those were not the requirements. Instead, my AP HW2.5 2017 Model S had the "all HW needed for FSD". It turned out to be false.

Tesla today insists that one would need to upgrade to MCU2 for $2000 to receive the FSD one paid for earlier.

I think the original EAP was worth 5k. Really FSD on top of it has been worth nothing up until the Navigate on City streets beta.
Original EAP value proposition was worth 5k. (I paid that)

Unfortunately, all EAP features are still in beta and do not really work that well:
  • Self parking: Have not used it for years as it does not work consistently
  • Smart summon: Does not work at all. Years ago, was a fun "party trick", but not something that would add any value (vs walking to your car).
  • Navigate on autopilot: Misses ramp 50% of the time, will kill you if fail to take over when merging when it makes mistakes
  • Summon: Does not work most of the time (was reliable when purchased, but degraded "connection lost" most of the time)
  • Lane change: Change itself works well, but the choices when to switch are often bad (getting you to a slower lane)

12,000$ to keep your foot hovering the brake pedal, waiting to see if the car will stop, engaging the brake yourself if it doesn't, sending your data to Tesla to train the algorithms, risking your life in the process.
Others pay drivers to test their software. Tesla gets paid to allow drivers to test the software...
You're supposed to keep your foot hovering over the accelerator too, to react to phantom braking. Also be ready to grab the steering wheel, so hover over that. Some people prefer to disengage with the stalk, so better hover near that too.

• Funny
Reactions: Sonus