Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price to go up $1k and Enhanced Summon release date, both ~August 16.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal issue isn't with the intent to increase price, it's with all the flip flopping on prices and messaging. Early adopters who bought EAP paid $5k, and are now being asked to pay $6k to upgrade to FSD. New buyers can get it for $8k effectively. Elon tweets yesterday that the upgrade is now $3k for EAP owners, but my account doesn't reflect that price. Does EAP include enhanced summon or was Elon's tweet some time ago not accurate? It's difficult to make decisions when the goal posts constantly move and one has to search everywhere for the current state of software affairs...

The pricing is even more complicated than that. I had a go at finding every possible price people could have paid to get FSD. And I'm probably missing a couple. In the last thread I posted this in someone told me that there may have been a $7,000 post-delivery EAP at some point.

So that means that some people paid a total of $5,000 for FSD, and some people might have paid $13,000. And it's not entirely correlated with delivery. Personally, the minimum I could have ever had was $8,000 having bought at the end of Q1. Now my minimum is $9,000.

fsd_prices.png

My personal issue isn't with the intent to increase price, it's with all the flip flopping on prices and messaging. Early adopters who bought EAP paid $5k, and are now being asked to pay $6k to upgrade to FSD. New buyers can get it for $8k effectively. Elon tweets yesterday that the upgrade is now $3k for EAP owners, but my account doesn't reflect that price. Does EAP include enhanced summon or was Elon's tweet some time ago not accurate? It's difficult to make decisions when the goal posts constantly move and one has to search everywhere for the current state of software affairs...

Yeah - the early adopter "burn" from Tesla is significant, and doesn't seem to be slowing down. This isn't a couple hundred dollar tablet or smart watch here - these are expensive cars. If you look at what originally came with EAP to what AP it is now, it's a huge shift.

Just like with Apple - there are those that will never see an issue with it and buy into the "saving the planet" angle, which is not really anything anyone can do. The developed world is already very good at controlling emissions, you need to look at Asia, India, and LatAm to see what real pollution and environmental damage looks like - no way we can ever offset that.

It’s entertaining reading about people trying to “game” their purchase now or in the future. Does this happen for a Ford F-150 truck? Or any other car? I’ve only seen this happening for computer or cellphone purchases. Does that behavior say more about Tesla purchasers than it does about Tesla or Elon? I think so.

The only way to “Win” is to buy a used Tesla or not buy a car at all. All other purchases are set the day you buy it. The price could go up or down in the future. That is how time works. It’s likely a monetary First Law. And the Court system won’t save you or your money. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
It’s entertaining reading about people trying to “game” their purchase now or in the future. Does this happen for a Ford F-150 truck? Or any other car? I’ve only seen this happening for computer or cellphone purchases. Does that behavior say more about Tesla purchasers than it does about Tesla or Elon? I think so.

The only way to “Win” is to buy a used Tesla or not buy a car at all. All other purchases are set the day you buy it. The price could go up or down in the future. Than is how time works. It’s likely a monetary First Law. And the Court system won’t save you or your money. Sorry about that.

I think it's natural for people to want to try and time their purchases to get the most bang for their buck. The tricky thing about Tesla pricing is that it's as impossible to time as the stock market. But all EAP purchasers who missed the first sale in March are being given the chance to buy it again for $3,000. I don't see how that's not patience paying off.

I'd argue that there IS a logical reason to expect FSD value not to decrease. Once the benefits/product actually exists, it will be much clearer what the value proposition is.

True, but there is no reason to believe that THAT future value will be greater than $6-8K than Tesla is asking for that mythical FSD software package today. Every vehicle model or feature that Tesla has ever released has dropped in price over time. Every single one.

I would posit that FSD will be no different.

If the product is everything they claim (and/or more), then it WILL increase. If they fall short vs expectations, only then, IMO, would it decrease.

That is an article of faith.
You are imagining that certain future functionality (even if it works), would command pricing at a certain level greater than a semi-random price point Tesla has assigned to it today.

Here are the only two things I can predict with absolute certainty (based on past history):
  1. Tesla's FSD pricing will continue to fluctuate wildly, and randomly.
  2. Every time the price changes, there will be a new thread started bemoaning that change.
Cheers
:D

a

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
It’s entertaining reading about people trying to “game” their purchase now or in the future. Does this happen for a Ford F-150 truck? Or any other car? ...

It happens all the time. There are people who swear by buying on the last day of the month, waiting for year-end markdowns, watching for rebates, emailing "fleet sales", waiting for a "super/deluxe/performance" model to come out hoping no one will then want the lower trim, you name it and people try it to get a better deal on a car.

Here are the only two things I can predict with absolute certainty (based on past history):
  1. Tesla's FSD pricing will continue to fluctuate wildly, and randomly.
  2. Every time the price changes, there will be a new thread started bemoaning that change.
I will more or less agree with your predictions. I see the up down not as completely random, rather up and down but the trendline for FSD will rise. It will level off and begin to come down only once there is competition to force it down. The maximum it reaches will depend on the product. How good is it? How safe is it? How much safer than normal drivers is it?