TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD price to go up $1k and Enhanced Summon release date, both ~August 16.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by WilliamG, Jul 16, 2019.

1. run-the-joules

The main reason I wasted $3k on it is because they said it'd be $4k after delivery. I always had my doubts that it'd pay off, but it's increasingly certain that it will not.

2. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

In some cities, It might even be cheaper to let the car making circles during the day
    than to pay for a valet or an underground parking spot.

• Like x 2
  3. Maven

Maven Member

#43 Maven, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    This is a straight up middle finger to those with EAP!!! There needs to be a reasonable upgrade path for those with EAP.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  4. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

I can see major congestion coming up in already congested cities...

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

I'm surprised I'm the first to post about this. Did you EAP folks not see Elon tweet that FSD will be $3k cheaper for those with EAP? Elon Musk on Twitter

• Like x 3
  6. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Some folks, rare as we may be, bought our Teslas because they can be entertaining and fun to drive.. not worried about resale when I don't pay extra for newer FSD etc.. Didn't buy it to have a robotaxi either, my RWD would have been fine for that.

If I still own this 3 when FSD can go house to office, and back while I'm watching Netflix, well then maybe it's worth the $ for me at that time.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  7. willow_hiller

That's how I'm trying to minimize the stress of price increases as well. If it can drive from home and come pick me up at work by itself, then I'll be happy to pay $10k+ for it. But until that point it's a pre-order.

• Like x 3
  8. Xenius

Xenius Active Member

Just waiting for my account to reflect the 3k price for EAP buyers, and I'll bite this go around. Based on tsla performance, I'm calling this "reinvestment".

• Like x 3
  9. afadeev

afadeev Member

Not oppose.
    Just a reality check on Elon's fluffing things up on Twitter.

Agreed.

But it also makes little sense for people buying Model 3 to pay $3-8K for an over-hyped promise, and a hilariously mis-named product called Full Self Driving. There is no indication that we would be delivered either "full", or even partial "self-driving" at any finite point in the next decade.

Beautiful hype is still... hype.

Yet, as P. T. Barnum said:
    [​IMG]

10. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Agreed. None of the model 3 owners know the Pull of death on hills in the early versions... Or not having restricted speeds, You could do any speed in any location. LOL It really was a sketchy time.... The software in the vehicles now is a million times better. It is really amazing what has been accomplished with just over the air updates....... I am glad I purchased at a discount.... However though. Being a HW2.0 I feel as if my vehicle will be traded in far before I see any benefit

11. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

The problem I have with this is that it could be many years before it gets to the point where it really works reliably and by that time I may decide I want to upgrade to a new car.

• Like x 5
  12. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

$7k is crazy. Elon is going to find that the vast majority of buyers will pass. Most people buying a Tesla are not interesting in robitaxi’ing their cars out to Saturday night drunks. I predict a price retreat when nobody buys FSD even if they actually deliver on some of their promises.

• Like x 1
  13. astrowunder

astrowunder Member

Respectfully, If (and it's a big if yet) FSD becomes reality, I would find $7k to be extremely cheap for my car to be able to drive me to any destination while I sleep or do work- even if I never rent it out.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  14. willow_hiller

I'm thinking that by the time we can safely sleep in our cars during a road-trip, we'll all want bigger batteries so we can get a full-night sleep between Supercharging stops. And hopefully the battery technology will be better and cheaper by that point too.

• Like x 1
  15. astrowunder

astrowunder Member

As Elon mentioned not too long ago, compared to getting FSD working, automatic charging should be a piece of cake. Of course whether or not you can sleep through the car pulling into a supercharger and plugging in is another matter.

• Like x 1
  16. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

Absolutely agree. But to me there's a large disconnect between what is likely to come out in the next year and be considered "feature complete" vs. what is really required for the full-autonomy/robotaxi dream. Will FSD customers continue to get everything needed for the latter? It's more than just being able to navigate city streets.

17. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

I really don’t see anytime in next few years it’ll be able to drive with no human monitoring. Our roads just aren’t marked well enough or with consistent standards. I’d be happy to relax a bit though if it can consistently recognize stop signs and lights...and unpark and pick me up at the entrance on a rainy day.

• Like x 2
  18. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Member

What is there to enhance for AP? Basically the same as I had in my Outback - adaptive cruise control (speed up, slow down) plus maintain lane on the highway (and on some roads).

I purchased FSD, so I'm biased, but what features would you expected in basic "AutoPilot?"

19. acarney

acarney Member

Well that's what I'm wondering as well. Musk likes to say the cars always get better with software updates overtime, but I'm wondering if the current SR+ is basically what we'll see for the long run and it'll only be the cars with FSD that will get better over time.

I guess I could see some options trickle over to basic AP as FSD gets more advanced. I could see initiate a lane change (highway only) on use of turn signal maybe coming back to AP once FSD is able to handle city streets. It still wouldn't be navigate on autopilot, but it would be a nice little bump for the "lower end" cars so they didn't have to turn off and on AP just to change lanes. As FSD gets more and more advanced there will be a larger gap between AP and FSD, so I'm curious if anyone thinks they'll try to maintain the gap or if they'll basically let AP cars die off when it comes to feature updates.

• Like x 1
  20. willow_hiller

I think Tesla has established a pattern that if small improvements can be made for the sake of safety, they will be made. Take for example the red-light warning. It's presumably being developed as part of City NOA, I don't think it works very well, but Tesla went to the effort of pushing the code publicly on the off chance it could stop a car from running a red light.

So I imagine that they'll improve AP safety to whatever point possible hardware wise. It's just not clear how much more performance they can squeeze out of HW2.5. Evidently it's already at something like 80% utilization.