Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Really This Bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s what I see under summons…..
1655405527289.png

Here’s a photo of my autopilot screen.
1655409860531.jpeg

My car was originally rejected by someone who didn’t like what Tesla was offering them for their trade-in. I wonder if they ordered it with FSD, and the delivery center forgot to remove it before they delivered it to me. It was during end-of-quarter, so things were a bit hectic there. But the Monroney sticker didn’t list it either.

I’m not complaining. I’m just trying to figure out if it’s real or not.
Is there something I could check that would give me a definitive answer one way or the other?
Straightforward enough. Note that we're talking about FSD, not FSDb. Aim you and your car down a street without other cars upon it and a stop sign. Extra points for no cars parked on the shoulder, or even more points if there's a double-yellow in the middle and a white line on the right. A hundred yards short of the stop sign, double-pull the shift lever down. You should go into cruise control, with lanekeep. (Everybody gets this, these days.)

Keep your foot hovering over the brake. If the car comes to a gentle stop at the stop sign you've got the FSD package. Assuming there's no cross-traffic and you can go straight ahead (this is your judgement, not the car's), a tap down on the shift lever or a push on the gas pedal will put the car through the intersection.

FSD, the real deal, will stop at stop lights, whether they're red or green. If they're green, they'll go through on a tap down on the shift lever or a tap on the gas pedal. Either way, don't experiment in traffic unless you want to Really Annoy people, and be prepared to stop if the car doesn't.

Weird. I don’t know how I got it. But I guess it’s best to not look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak.
Ha. The spouse and I didn't pay for EAP (the predecessor to FSD) either. We went to the SC in September of 2018 to get the car. This was back, pre-COVID, so yeah, the delivery advisor sat down with us, got our key cards and apps set up, signed papers, then we all traipsed out to the car.

While we were in the car the advisor pointed out salient points to us and asked if we had watched the videos on Tesla's web site. After saying we had, he said he would go off and help other people and come back to see if we had any questions.

After figuring out that it was hard to adjust the mirrors with the steering wheel upside down, we got that done and started going through menus. We hadn't paid for EAP, so there were some weird things in the menus that seemed to be EAP related. So, when the guy came back, we asked a few more questions about this and that. And then I said, "You know, there's some what looks to be EAP stuff in here. Um. We didn't pay for that?"

The man straightened up, said, "Well, sometimes Tesla makes a mistake.", hit the big Door Open button, and chased us out of there.

A few days later we were driving along and discovered that TACC was present, and that was an EAP feature. All the EAP stuff was in there, along with lanekeeping (eventually) and all the other good stuff. We expected to lose it at any moment, but, there it was.

Much later on the FSD package, the one that promised a CPU upgrade and eventually the Real FSD when the Musketeers finished it, went on sale. On a whim, I checked the account at Tesla. And it was available for the discounted price that one would get if one had EAP. (i.e., wouldn't have to pay first for EAP, then for FSD: Just for FSD.) After some fast talking at home, got FSD. And the extra stuff (stop lights, etc.) worked as advertised. And now have the FSDb, the upgraded comp, and all.

On various forums this is not an unheard-of occurrence. I haven't heard of anybody getting it involuntarily removed.. but it was a Tesla mistake. There's some thought that FSD/not FSD is tied to the VIN number.

My spouse's and my best guess is that somebody paid for an EAP car then rejected it at delivery. Tesla fixed the rejection issue and sold the car, without charging extra? Who knows?

Be happy.

Reactions: Ray_R
Just got FSDb. Am in semi-rural Pa. Thought the system would do better on local roads. Issues below.

My question is …is the poor performance related to eg non-digitized roads in my area (and how do I know if they are/aren’t)? If the system is using local camera view to make decisions, then my 14 year old lab (who is deceased now) would make better decisions. Does anyone know how much a role the cameras play (as opposed to map overlay, server data, etc)? Just trying to understand if my experience is a function of where I live, or the capability of the software and process? Also, is there a setting that will make it “less aggressive” in turns and local road acceleration?

issues thus far:
1. if no lane divider it goes in the middle. Please stay to the right!
2. Turns at stop signs are apoplectic. And with a yoke, actually painful as it flings L/R/L/L/L/R/R/L/R etc. thought it would be smoother.
3. Does not look before it leaps. Actually proceeds with a turn without “inching forward” to actually see the left and right. Really badly. Online videos show much better behavior.
4. Inability to understand speed limit changes when turning onto another road until it has already accelerated (aggressively). Example - 40 mph road, left turn into our development (speed 25 or less). It turns aggressively, speeds up to 40 quickly, and then decelerates to 25, but only after having gone halfway down the street.
5. Icon to send clips to Tesla is buried in the control section - after having to override the car because of a dangerous maneuver, this is to difficult to get to quickly.

definitely a WIP. Happy to test, just a bit disappointed in its performance.
I don't think you're looking at digitized road issues. I have the same problems you do and am in Central NJ, where the Google camera cars roam all over.

There are places where it appears that there's some kind of road information present, particularly on Interstates. (For example: On I-78, if one is on the local lanes westbound, at one point if one wants to continue on I78W one has to perform what looks precisely like a left exit, while what appears to be the three-lane main road bends over to the right. The FSD/EAP kept on trying to follow the main road while the Nav kept on insisting one needed to go off to the left, a clear case of a split personality. After a point release the car suddenly started handling that left exit properly.

On the other hand: My personal Bad Spot is a place on a two lane road where one is going up a hill. The road widens out on the lane so it's three lanes wide, one left turn lane and two straight ahead, but the final widening, stripes, and left-turn road marker appears only after one has crested the hill. Nav has me going straight: The car heads for that left turn lane, gets into it, realizes (I think?) it's in the wrong place, and freaks out. Yep, that's a spot where the Google Maps car has been, but the car can't figure it out.

Isn't beta software fun?

As regards that icon.. The M3 I've got has that icon right on the screen, top middle, along with a bunch of other icons. I think I've heard some Model S types around here mentioning some option where the "Map" data can be set to flood the tablet-style screen to the edges. Or not?

Reactions: djinn1
Straightforward enough. Note that we're talking about FSD, not FSDb. Aim you and your car down a street without other cars upon it and a stop sign. Extra points for no cars parked on the shoulder, or even more points if there's a double-yellow in the middle and a white line on the right. A hundred yards short of the stop sign, double-pull the shift lever down. You should go into cruise control, with lanekeep. (Everybody gets this, these days.)

Keep your foot hovering over the brake. If the car comes to a gentle stop at the stop sign you've got the FSD package. Assuming there's no cross-traffic and you can go straight ahead (this is your judgement, not the car's), a tap down on the shift lever or a push on the gas pedal will put the car through the intersection.

FSD, the real deal, will stop at stop lights, whether they're red or green. If they're green, they'll go through on a tap down on the shift lever or a tap on the gas pedal. Either way, don't experiment in traffic unless you want to Really Annoy people, and be prepared to stop if the car doesn't.
What’s a “shift lever”? ;)

To answer the OPs question, Yes, FSD is really that bad. Now if you're a nerd like @Tronguy (and I use nerd here on purpose and positively) and want to be an active part of developing the tech and it is interesting to you, then go for it. And your wife is right, it is cheaper than a lot of other hobbies :p

But for anyone who buys it expecting the car to be able to take you from your house to your destination without you having to drive (which is, you know, the definition of Full Self-Driving) within the next 10 years is simply lighting money on fire.

I still get an insane amount of Phantom Braking just on TACC on my 1-month old Model X. My friend with an MY with FSDb took me to lunch the other day. The car tried to turn right on red into the path of a pickup truck doing 50mph (that was the speed limit). If he had not taken over it would not have gone well for us.

It is my opinion that Tesla will need to add and/or reposition cameras and possibly add other sensors in order to get this to actually work. It was clear that while the side-facing cameras work for doing things like lane-changes, they need to be able to look higher up to see approaching cross traffic like in my situation. It just couldn't see the approaching truck and proceeded to turn into the lane. My friend say the truck, was covering the brake, and was waiting to see what it would do. Sure enough it want halfway into the lane before my friend hit the brakes. The truck had to move out of the way and we got a (well-deserved) honk as well.
The one quibble I have with your post: That assertion about "within the next 10 years".

That right there I'd call an opinion. My opinion: It might be ten years; it's a lot more likely that it'll be less than that, "Elon time" or no. End of this year, maybe 1st or 2nd quarter of next.

Unless they run into a real stopper, in that an FSD car just can't be built. Nobody's got one yet although there's lots of people working on it. I bet (and put hard money down) that FSD will be here; I'm guessing, maybe six months after Dojo is in production.

We'll see.