Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD reduced to $2000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes you think you will get new hardware? If purchased today you will most likely be buying the FSD description of today which is quite different than the description from 2016.
Elon has stated multiple times than AP2.x cars will receive computer upgrade if FSD was purchased. FSD even as currently defined will not function with current chipset. Not that everything he's said has come to be. So there is that.

Reactions: boaterva
Elon has stated multiple times than AP2.x cars will receive computer upgrade if FSD was purchased. FSD even as currently defined will not function with current chipset. Not that everything he's said has come to be. So there is that.

FSD description has also now changed and existing hardware can handle new description. I dont think you will get anything new other than capability for the new stripped down description of FSD. If you purchased FSD prior to its new description you might have had a case but if you buy it now you will only be protected against what they are currently promising.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KyleDay
Purchased it last night. Didn't see anything inside the car showing such.

I purchased FSD and immediately got a Thank you email and said give your car an hour on Wifi and you'll see the upgrade. 20 minutes later I had a note on my MS 75D display saying FSD successfully upgraded. At this point there is no noticeable changes from EAP to FSD. I just bought what was a $5k option for $2k. Hopefully the features will be enjoyed in the coming months!

Does this help add to the confusion?
D0t9coCWoAA4pzk.jpg:large

In reference to the flow chart, if I read it correct, "when did you order your Tesla, In 2019 before 28 Feb 2019 price changes, which option did you have on 27 Feb 2019?, EAP: you keep C, you get D for free." According to Tesla, possession on 26 Feb 2019 only qualifies for the $2,000 program, but I keep EAP.

FYI, we were at Tesla service this morning, and point blank asked them about the hardware upgrade. The new $2,000 upcharge does not include the hardware upgrade. Is it fixed at $1,000 or is that subject to change also? Which I kinda expected, but the web site makes no mention of this fact. I guess you get surprised if and when FSD comes out.

Has any official word come out that FSD would be active in any form? Does it do anything now.

...Does it do anything now.

Since FSD has been reclassified to some of previous EAP, so yes, it does something:

Navigation on Autopilot: Auto Lane Change with manual signaling.
AutoPark
Summon

Pending releases:
Automatic city Driving
Traffic lights / Stop Sign automatic compliance

...Has any official word come out that FSD would be active in any form?

The above 2 pending releases should be out by the end of year.

...The new $2,000 upcharge does not include the hardware upgrade...

Elon Musk made it clear that EAP does not require HW3 but FSD will.

Thus, with current released FSD functions above, you do need HW3 because they were old EAP functions.

However, the other 2 pending releases would consume lots of calculation so I don't see how Tesla will fulfill those two functions without HW3.

It doesn't matter how much you paid, what count is what did you pay it for. In this case, it's for FSD so it doesn't matter what hardware, Tesla has to fulfill those functions.

FYI, we were at Tesla service this morning, and point blank asked them about the hardware upgrade. The new $2,000 upcharge does not include the hardware upgrade. Is it fixed at $1,000 or is that subject to change also? Which I kinda expected, but the web site makes no mention of this fact. I guess you get surprised if and when FSD comes out.

Has any official word come out that FSD would be active in any form? Does it do anything now.

Take that with a grain of salt. Most Tesla SCs know less than the customer because Elon tweets out changes instead of doing things the right way.

Reactions: BridgeMojo