Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Thoughts and Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched the video, and it's actually a promo, not a fail collection, given the amount of things I see it doing successfully I wouldn't try with my own car, given I am in the EU and all with the steering angle restrictions.

So yeah, the video is actually pretty good marketing for Tesla to show how good it already is if you abuse it for tasks it officially cannot do yet.

Reactions: Electroman
I didn't think FSD was out, yet?

As of now, FSD is sold as an option while ordering for $6000, while Autopilot is standard for all model 3s. While driving, you can enable FSD after autopilot is enabled, with 2 taps to the stick on the right of the steering wheel. The FSD symbol on top left corner of the console turns blue, indicating it's on. FSD works on major roads and highways, not all streets. FSD steers the car automatically even through curves, but one must apply slight pressure on the steering and steer slightly to tell the car you are not asleep! You ignore warning signs and it disables FSD for the rest of the trip ;-).

FSD can be stressful when passing large vehicles or semis as it keeps the car dead center in it's lane, even if the vehicle on the right seems too close for comfort. It ought to always maintain safe distance from surrounding vehicles whenever it's possible to do so and should shift off-center within it's lane (or even to the shoulder) if needed. Expecting such improvements in future updates.

As of now, FSD is sold as an option while ordering for $6000, while Autopilot is standard for all model 3s. While driving, you can enable FSD after autopilot is enabled, with 2 taps to the stick on the right of the steering wheel. The FSD symbol on top left corner of the console turns blue, indicating it's on. FSD works on major roads and highways, not all streets. FSD steers the car automatically even through curves, but one must apply slight pressure on the steering and steer slightly to tell the car you are not asleep! You ignore warning signs and it disables FSD for the rest of the trip ;-).

FSD can be stressful when passing large vehicles or semis as it keeps the car dead center in it's lane, even if the vehicle on the right seems too close for comfort. It ought to always maintain safe distance from surrounding vehicles whenever it's possible to do so and should shift off-center within it's lane (or even to the shoulder) if needed. Expecting such improvements in future updates.

Wrong, FSD is not out yet.

Wrong, FSD is not out yet.

Not wrong. FSD has been sold with features that exist and are out since March.

What Tesla did was move all the features in EAP over to FSD at that time, except for TACC and single-lane-autosteer.

So if you've bought a new Tesla in the last few months, you get a lot more actual, works-right-now, features with FSD than without it.

Additional features will be added to FSD later this year (enhanced summon, local city driving, reacting to stop lights and signs, etc).

Where it's weird is for older buyers who got in while EAP was still available- those folks, even with the FSD option, haven't gotten any "added" features yet compared to what EAP came with.

While driving, you can enable FSD after autopilot is enabled, with 2 taps to the stick on the right of the steering wheel. The FSD symbol on top left corner of the console turns blue, indicating it's on. FSD works on major roads and highways, not all streets. FSD steers the car automatically even through curves, but one must apply slight pressure on the steering and steer slightly to tell the car you are not asleep! You ignore warning signs and it disables FSD for the rest of the trip ;-).

That's not FSD, and even not a part of FSD package. This feature is called Autosteer and it used to be a part of EAP, and now a part of basic AP.

As for FSD, it's not out yet. There are some features (formerly found in EAP) that come when you buy FSD option, such as Summon and NoA, but true FSD is when the car can drive you from point A to point B without your intervention, and we are not there yet.

Reactions: Magnets!
This thread has really devolved into semantics. :rolleyes: Part of the problem is a subtle change in the way Tesla uses the term FSD. Originally, it was a "future feature." As late as January, FSD was "buy now, get later." Now, it is used to describe an evolving replacement for Enhanced Autopilot. But it is not yet Full Self Driving.

The OP originally titled the thread "FSD Fails," introducing his (or her) shot at YouTube fame with "... I've had so many FSD fails over the past few months of driving Tesla 3 ..."

Problem is, the FSD Fails are actually Driver Fails. The intro should have said, "... I've had so many driver fails over the past few months of driving Tesla 3 because I was using the autopilot in ways it is not designed for nor capable of ..."

So, yes, you can order FSD. But, no, it is not Full Self Driving as the concept was originally introduced. In addition the the caveats in the manual, this is what the order page says:

Full Self-Driving Capability

Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:

Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
Automatic driving on city streets.

Includes the Full Self Driving Computer

That last item is also very important. The OP said "fails over the past few months" which means he does not even have the FSD Computer. Anyone who does not have HW v3 is does not have Full Self Driving, by definition.

Just sayin' ...

It's a shameful and dangerous deception by Tesla to call it full self driving.
Tesla doesn't actually say you are buying or call it Full Self Driving. Tesla lists as Full Self Driving Compatibility.

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 5.27.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 5.31.22 AM.png

Tesla doesn't actually say you are buying or call it Full Self Driving. Tesla lists as Full Self Driving Compatibility.

View attachment 421508
View attachment 421509
Yes, they say Full Self Driving CAPABILITY. Do you read that to mean something less than full self driving? Most people don't read the manual so they never see the disclaimers about highway only.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Yes, they say Full Self Driving CAPABILITY. Do you read that to mean something less than full self driving? Most people don't read the manual so they never see the disclaimers about highway only.

Displays right on the order page what the current features are and what the future features are.

Calling Tesla "shameful and dangerous" and letting "most people" who "don't read the manual" off the hook is somewhat hypocritical. Folks that don't take time to understand the capabilities of a two ton mobile machine and/or purposely use it in a way it is not designed to use are dangerous. :eek:

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin

View attachment 421508
View attachment 421509

I think you have Capability vs. Compatibility mixed up or autocorrect kicked in. I read Full Self Driving Capability as capable of Full Self Driving.

I get it, they are selling a vision of the future and I love that Tesla is leading the market and developing this technology but they are reaching a new level of market adoption where is not just EV enthusiasts anymore but typical folks in the market for a new car and they will more than likely be misled by the expectations of Autopilot and FSD. Dropping $6k on FSD for future development of a feature set is new territory when buying a car.

That's not FSD, and even not a part of FSD package. This feature is called Autosteer and it used to be a part of EAP, and now a part of basic AP.

As for FSD, it's not out yet. There are some features (formerly found in EAP) that come when you buy FSD option, such as Summon and NoA, but true FSD is when the car can drive you from point A to point B without your intervention, and we are not there yet.

Thanks for correcting. Another post in this thread lists what's currently available under FSD (for 6k price tag) and more is supposed to follow in 2019. No one is disputing that it's not Full Self Driving, but fact remains that FSD, an evolving product, is being sold as an option as of July 2019.

So far i regret buying FSD for 5k. NOA lane changes are annoying. wish i can "return" it
Leave Navigate OFF and then signal when YOU want AP to make a lane change. Also you can cut Navigate ON when you get near your exit and get the benefits. Autopilot lane change with blinker makes FSD worth a lot more than just AP. Also by the time if you could "return it" the next update may bring vast improvements to Navigate or other features.

Includes the Full Self Driving Computer

That last item is also very important. The OP said "fails over the past few months" which means he does not even have the FSD Computer. Anyone who does not have HW v3 is does not have Full Self Driving, by definition.

Just sayin' ...

I’m not following how this is relevant since Tesla has not released any additional FSD features that are specific to HW3. So having HW3 at this point doesn’t offer you any advantage over HW2.5.