Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The incentive seems like they are trading what I have for a lifetime free FSD subscription on the new vehicle. For me, it is tempting from the upgrade syndrome of technologies perspective, but I started to think, when was the last time I upgraded my toaster or frig whenever a new version/deal comes out? If I jump on this, I will

Cons:

Lose FUSC
Lose perfect PPF/Tints (~ 6k+ for new install)
Surely more expensive to insure
Another 30k-60k+ out-of-pocket for the price
Lose USS
Lose lifetime connectivity

Pros:

1 more motor
bigger battery and longer range
charge faster
better vehicle all over
2 more years of warranty

Neutral:
Same FSD
lose leather seat

So while the pros are very nice to have, but I don't really drive that much these days .. first long trip coming up in 6 years. I doubted I will splurge on this though the temptation is always there.

I called service advisor and he told me that my FSD from my 2018 M3 cannot be transferred. The autopilot has a different code. I had enhanced AP at delivery and later upgraded to full FSD. Did anyone else face the same issue?

I called service advisor and he told me that my FSD from my 2018 M3 cannot be transferred. The autopilot has a different code. I had enhanced AP at delivery and later upgraded to full FSD. Did anyone else face the same issue?
The terms as written now do say that you had to have FSD at delivery to be eligible for the offer. I suspect that Tesla will be tweaking the terms though.

The terms as written now do say that you had to have FSD at delivery to be eligible for the offer. I suspect that Tesla will be tweaking the terms though.
I am not sure that is correct. I was told my 2018 M3 does qualify even though I spent only $2K on FSD originally. SA may be misreading the delivery requirement. Its right here, delivery at time of new car delivery.

1. Be the legal and registered owner of Tesla vehicle that currently has Full Self Driving capability included at the time of delivery of the new Tesla vehicle.

Wake up. Do you think Tesla are stupid?
To get the transfer you have to trade in your old Tesla to Tesla. They give notoriously lowball price for this so you lose money to begin with, they get a cheap Tesla they sell on above value to people who want the assuring of a oem used warranty AND then you’ve added to their new car sales.

This will only be beneficial to those with cars that are low low value and old and people haven’t sunk lots into them recently.
So I was misinformed about it being a terrible deal, but seems there is a lack of clarity on whether the new car's FSD is limited to a single owner. Any update on if that's true or just poor wording in the terms and conditions?

So I was misinformed about it being a terrible deal, but seems there is a lack of clarity on whether the new car's FSD is limited to a single owner. Any update on if that's true or just poor wording in the terms and conditions?
You don't have to trade in, and after the FSD transfer to new vehicle, thats the end of the line. FSD will not stay with or transfer from that vehicle to next owner. Assuming no new programs from Tesla.

Given this is day 1 after the Tesla sales team scrambled to put this offer together, I wouldn't be surprised to see them revise it soon. Even sooner if the usual suspects on Twitter complain about it enough.

Like when they walked back the HW3 upgrade costs for subscriptions: Tesla reduces cost of HW3.0 upgrade for Full Self-Driving (FSD) subscribers

As I suspected, this appears to have been rolled back. Tempted again...

We don’t know what the requirements are yet. Tesla could say transfers are only available for FSD car’s owners as of the date Elon made the announcement. So you could not buy a used, salvaged etc FSD car after that and transfer FSD to a new Tesla.
Huh? The requirements/terms have been public for a while now. Here is the one that tells you if you qualify:

1690072134731.png

So you just have to be the legal, and registered, owner of a vehicle with FSD at the time of delivery. So if you can buy a salvage vehicle with FSD and get it titled and registered before delivery/9/30 you should be OK.

Last edited:
Huh? The requirements/terms have been public for a while now. Here is the one that tells you if you qualify:

View attachment 958727

So you just have to be the legal, and registered, owner of a vehicle with FSD at the time of delivery. So if you can buy a salvage vehicle with FSD and get it titled and registered before delivery/9/30 you should be OK.

If Tesla ever found out, point 8 is pretty vague, and they may use that to yank FSD off your new vehicle:

"8. Tesla may remove the Full Self Driving capability from your new vehicle if it determines in good faith that you have breached any of these terms or made any misrepresentations about Full Self Driving on your current vehicle."

Clause 4 on FSD transfer has been updated, new car keeps FSD when sold to someone else.
View attachment 958689

The pic is the new version.
Old:
4. The Full Self Driving capability can only be transferred once and so cannot be transferred to another vehicle or to another person even if the vehicle is privately sold. This offer cannot be combined with any other promotion, and is not redeemable for cash.

New:
4. The Full Self Driving Capability can only be transferred this one time. This offer cannot be combined with any other promotion, is not redeemable for cash, and cannot be assigned to another person.

The update takes out that transferred FSD gets removed if you sell the car.

The final "cannot be assigned to another person" means they won't transfer person A's FSD to person B's new car.

The two main gotchas left to my mind are in 1- people who own FSD, but bought it post-original-delivery may be excluded- but ideally they'd be told that up front instead of a surprise later so relatively minor concern... bigger one is in 2, 3, and 6 combined... Because they describe the following as entirely possible:

You order a new Tesla and set up the FSD transfer- You qualify for this when you place your order (so no worry about item 1)
Your delivery date is late September. Let's say Sept 20 to pick a date.
Sept 13, per item 6, Tesla removes FSD from the old car
Also per 6, since this happened first, it's non-reversable.

You can now get hosed in two ways:

A) Your delivery date slips 2 weeks for some logistical reason (this happens fairly often, my own was moved multiple times)- by the terms, you now have no FSD on either vehicle since your removal on the old one is irreversible and you took delivery too late for the transfer.

B) Tesla hits the delivery date perfectly... but there's one or more things wrong with the car and you reject delivery. This also happens fairly often and tons of threads on here about it... not like MASSIVELY often, but still enough to be a concern... and they can't get you another one for more than 10 days... again you end up with no FSD on the old car OR the new one.

The best fix for these issues is just remove the delivery date requirement entirely... but Tesla won't do that because they really want people to either upgrade to an S/X/Y from a 3 quickly, or they want people to buy up the last of the pre-highland 3s.

Next best is probably something like change "must take delivery by Sept 30" to "Must have an originally scheduled delivery date of Sept 30 or earlier, and then must actually take delivery within X days of that original date" where X is some extremely reasonable/generous # that would insure you'd have time to at least reject one delivery and get a replacement vehicle delivered.

(I mean, really "best' would be the transfer happens WHEN you take delivery- so there's never any chance of "losing" FSD totally and no need for any of these concerns... but Tesla internal IT has always been super garbage at any sort of real-time vehicle config changes like this, which is why we had things like Tesla sending cars to auction with FSD still on them despite having been flagged for removal that didn't happen yet, and why they've got that "up to 1 week before delivery it may be removed" bit)

Same. Went into a showroom ready to buy, guy ran my VIN and he said cars all have either a 1 or a 2 code beside them, my VIN code returned a 2 and so it was not eligible. (He didn't know why, he hypothesized it might have had to do with my AP hardware version.)

However I suspect it is the fact that I added FSD on later instead of at purchase.

I have a 10/2018 3 LR. I believe I bought it w/ EAP and then later added on FSD for $2k. I know I had to get a new computer when I did the FSD (or soon after).

I was thinking I might call around and see if someone else is giving out different answers or better answers. Seems like the program is changing daily.

Shame, too, because I would have bought an inventory Y that night.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.. highest probability is that EM just made this up during the CC last Weds and company had to scramble to define it quickly. They are still in that process with what would be considered the easy questions and answers.

At this point, I’m a hard no. I had considered it seriously even with highland, HW4, etc. But knowing that if I made an order and it lapsed beyond the 9/30/23 date and I got hosed, that would piss me off to no end. Like no more Teslas pissed.

As others have noted, having bought EAP with purchase May 2018 LR M3 (only real model at the time) and then buying FSD I think in Feb 2019/20? For ~ $2K, I’m/the car is probably excluded from this offer regardless. Two classes of FSD “owners” I guess. Ok, I get that, but we paid more early on when there was quite literally NOTHING of FSD at the time, so it might have been even more of a waste of $$ in the end, than the semi waste that those who have paid ~ $15K for have had.

I’ll wait around for Highland and HW4 and maybe some other improvements, and probably get the car for even less in the next 6-9 months. I think the overall pricing is probably going down, not up. For FSD, there will probably be some type of FSD discount in the future, and for my driving interests and style, overall I’m probably better off with random $200 a month vs. $15K upfront. Even at just paying the monthly fee thats over six years of FSD before the $15K even breaks even. Over a five year period I can turn that $15K into $30 pretty easily.

Dirty Tesla shows us a text that conflicts with the new language in new item 4. The word "cannot" is there. It states "one time" so I don't see how any private sale in the future allows for the transfer. I questioned this on twitter and no response
Because at that point you aren't transferring FSD you are transferring the car. They removed the sentence that said it didn't stay with the car on a sale.

Because at that point you aren't transferring FSD you are transferring the car. They removed the sentence that said it didn't stay with the car on a sale.
Right, but it never states the affirmative that it goes with the car in the future. Private sale? Carvana sale? Other dealer trade in? The private sale exclusion was omitted, but there isn't any statement what is permitted.

Example: You may not pass go and collect $200.
May I pass go and forego the $200?
May I collect the $200 and not pass go?

The first sentence leaves the 2nd and 3rd cases as unknown.

Same. Went into a showroom ready to buy, guy ran my VIN and he said cars all have either a 1 or a 2 code beside them, my VIN code returned a 2 and so it was not eligible. (He didn't know why, he hypothesized it might have had to do with my AP hardware version.)

However I suspect it is the fact that I added FSD on later instead of at purchase.

I have a 10/2018 3 LR. I believe I bought it w/ EAP and then later added on FSD for $2k. I know I had to get a new computer when I did the FSD (or soon after).

I was thinking I might call around and see if someone else is giving out different answers or better answers. Seems like the program is changing daily.

Shame, too, because I would have bought an inventory Y that night.
With your information, I called Tesla on my 2018 M3 with the FSD for $2K. My car returned a ACS1. I also got the HW3 upgrade. He did not think that was eligible, as that meant AP1. But you said yours was a 2 and not eligible?

And then he admitted he didn't know and will call me back. What a mess.

I paid for FSD upfront($7K) as part of new 2020 Model 3 and have yet to receive any email, letter, text, or phone call.

In my case new Model 3 “Highland” isn’t out and likely won’t be by end date. No M3 has HW4. MY has HW4 but isn’t really using extra cameras yet, who knows it will, might be the extra cameras are only for CT only. Maybe HW5 brings extra cameras to non CT vehicles.

Reactions: Eugene Ash