Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why I’ve been saying that they should be starting the upgrades NOW, not waiting for the actual feature releases. I cannot understand the logic behind waiting... unless they aren’t confident in HW3. Making us wait is just a slap in the face.
Apparently they are not putting HW3 in all the new cars. So my guess is - they are waiting for a new revision before starting to upgrade.

Other thing to think about is the incredible speed of change at Tesla. Huge revenue growth every year, now new giga factory even as they prepare to roll out Y. More importantly after going to production hell, delivery hell - they are in the service hell phase. They need to sort out (and rapidly expand) service.

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
Apparently they are not putting HW3 in all the new cars. So my guess is - they are waiting for a new revision before starting to upgrade.

Judging by various threads on TMC, all new LR Model 3s are getting HW3, where most new SR Model 3s are not. I think it's more of a cost-saving measure than anything else. SR purchasers are probably less likely to buy FSD, so Tesla might save a buck by installing a HW2.5 computer if they never need to retrofit it.

• Informative
Reactions: MaryAnning3
I cannot understand the logic behind waiting... unless they aren’t confident in HW3.

It’s probably just a question of how they want to spend their money.

You already paid for FSD so Tesla has your money and a loose liability to deliver this to you. But on their dime and on their time with you having virtually zero leverage.

If you were in charge at Tesla and money is tight (and ethics don’t count), would you spend Tesla’s money on swapping FSD computers for old HW2.5 cars or try to get money through $3000 FOMO upgrades from people with EAP?

• Informative
It is tempting to get, but I know they offered it to me before for $2,000. So paying $3,000 now seems to not make sense, especially since nothing has changed in convincing me that they will be able to offer FSD in any reasonable time.

Also, I'm thinking I'll sell my car in 2020 when the new roadster launches (hopefully). I don't think I'll even see FSD before then. The question is if it will improve resale by $3000?
If you van afford the new roadster, why would you worry about 1000 dollars ? :)

It’s probably just a question of how they want to spend their money.

You already paid for FSD so Tesla has your money and a loose liability to deliver this to you. But on their dime and on their time with you having virtually zero leverage.

If you were in charge at Tesla and money is tight (and ethics don’t count), would you spend Tesla’s money on swapping FSD computers for old HW2.5 cars or try to get money through $3000 FOMO upgrades from people with EAP?
... what happened to truth in marketing (promises made in Nov. 2017 and paid by some of us in cash) with almost NOTHING to show for it! This behavior is no longer excusable as I approach 2 years of ownership with only the weak NOA pseudo feature for my $3k.

Owners of VW diesels got way more than their cars were worth in the buyback settlement.
Tesla owners who bought HW2 autopilot way before it was ready in 2016-2017 got up to $280.
People who bought FSD in 2016 might get something in the eventual class action lawsuit.

I was a beneficiary of the "dieselgate", very smart move. I actually bought it after all the news came out and the prices were going down. Made about 7k to drive a car for 20 months. 2014 Passat SEL. It was a great car but I'll take my 3.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Let me put more fire and confusion to this. Anyone saw this article today?

All New Tesla Models Will Feature Level 5-Capable Autopilot Hardware - MotorTrend

Now there is a new autopilot hardware 2 and we won’t be able to upgrade. So what the hell is FSD then? Level 2 at max? To get level 5 we need to get a new Tesla? This is looking more like a snake oil salesman tactics now.

Or reporter got it wrong and Actually meant AP 2.0? Not EAP?

Appreciate if someone better informed could clear this article up. I think this doesn’t include any Model 3 but rather previous Model S and X...

Having said that, as safety measure with better computing and to have a better EAP performance... and like someone said It if you plant to keep 2+ years i think $3k is worth it and I am think seriously to take this chance this time before 16th, did I miss anything?

Peace folks, this is all bs from first world problems, i grew up in 3rd world and this is nothing. I just need to suck it up and make more money, it’s easier too than trolling or debate fighting.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44

All New Tesla Models Will Feature Level 5-Capable Autopilot Hardware - MotorTrend

Now there is a new autopilot hardware 2 and we won’t be able to upgrade. So what the hell is FSD then? Level 2 at max? To get level 5 we need to get a new Tesla? This is looking more like a snake oil salesman tactics now.

Appreciate if someone better informed could clear this article up. I think this doesn’t include any Model 3 but rather previous Model S and X...

Having said that, as safety measure with better computing and to have a better EAP performance... and like someone said It if you plant to keep 2+ years i think $3k is worth it and I am think seriously to take this chance this time before 16th, did I miss anything?

Peace folks, this is all bs from first world problems, i grew up in 3rd world and this is nothing. I just need to suck it up and make more money, it’s easier too than trolling or debate fighting.

This article appears to be published in October, 2016. So it is not relevant to current situation. I think it was confirmed that at least All new Model 3s starting from April have the latest HW3 and other Model 3 are 2.5

Relax. The article was published in 2016 when hardware 2.0 was announced. Current Teslas are HW 3.0.

Those who bought their car recently and didn't buy FSD, did they get the email?

No, since the discount has only been offered to owners who had purchased enhanced autopilot (EAP), which was discontinued earlier this year. The exception could be folks who bought inventory vehicles with EAP after the cutoff.

I got the email and didn't purchase FSD. Build date is April 2019 so no EAP either. I do still have NOA for more than the trial period.