Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi friends! Being that my HW2 Dec 2016 Model X (vin in the low 30Ks) has hit about 42K miles, I've been thinking about whether I'll be throwing down extra cash for the extended 4 year/50K mile warranty. Though I absolutely love my car, possibly the only criticism I have is that I don't believe HW2 has yet reached parity with HW1. Now with the FSD price decrease, I'm seriously considering going all-in, which would be to buy the extended warranty as well as the FSD package in one go. The alternatives would be to (1) do the most financially practical thing and not upgrade anything, just drive the X into the ground the next few years, or (2) trade the X in for a new X prior to the current warranty expiration. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

RANDOM.ORG - Dice Roller

Reactions: BigD0g
So FSD dropped another $1K while I was sleeping as Elon tweeted they're changing it from $3k to $2k. Interesting.

I also noticed Elon's tweeting that the HW3 AP Computer upgrade will come out "long-term". Also interesting.

I think I'll wait.

I'm guessing this means that new cars are equipped with HW3.

The most obvious reason why people with EAP would need to pay $2k extra for FSD while new cars get it for $5K is that old vehicles need to have HW 2.0 and 2.5 replaced with 3.0 while new cars already have it inside...

I don't think you are in the worst group if you paid for FSD upfront. Here's my ranking...

1) Paid $6k for EAP after delivery and then $4k for FSD after delivery
2) Paid $6k for EAP after delivery and now $2k for FSD after delivery (me... ugh...)
3) Paid $8k upfront for FSD... At least you're getting early access for whatever that's worth.

Overall, i'm happy with the change since everyone is getting something. Not sure if anyone has any real reason to be upset...

wasn't FSD increased at one point to 5k or something?

Hi friends! Being that my HW2 Dec 2016 Model X (vin in the low 30Ks) has hit about 42K miles, I've been thinking about whether I'll be throwing down extra cash for the extended 4 year/50K mile warranty. Though I absolutely love my car, possibly the only criticism I have is that I don't believe HW2 has yet reached parity with HW1. Now with the FSD price decrease, I'm seriously considering going all-in, which would be to buy the extended warranty as well as the FSD package in one go. The alternatives would be to (1) do the most financially practical thing and not upgrade anything, just drive the X into the ground the next few years, or (2) trade the X in for a new X prior to the current warranty expiration. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't understand your options.
1) I believe the extended warranty is only available to cars less than 2 years old? Please correct me if wrong.
2) Why buy FSD now? What does it give you that you didn't have before? (As far as I can tell, nothing, if you already have EAP.)
3) Is there anything significantly different in the new Model X that you didn't have before? Maybe you want a 100kWh battery pack? Other than that I don't see much difference for you. Do you currently have free supercharging?

I don't understand your options.
1) I believe the extended warranty is only available to cars less than 2 years old? Please correct me if wrong.
2) Why buy FSD now? What does it give you that you didn't have before? (As far as I can tell, nothing, if you already have EAP.)
3) Is there anything significantly different in the new Model X that you didn't have before? Maybe you want a 100kWh battery pack? Other than that I don't see much difference for you. Do you currently have free supercharging?

1) Warrany is available.
2) I have to verify, but from what I understand I would be eligible for the newer MCU and whatever else hardware Tesla deems necessary for FSD (thinking of the new proprietary chip).
3) It would be nice to upgrade from a 90kWh to 100kWh battery pack, but in my view and for my purposes, the cost of trading in isn’t justified.

So FSD dropped another $1K while I was sleeping as Elon tweeted they're changing it from $3k to $2k. Interesting.

I also noticed Elon's tweeting that the HW3 AP Computer upgrade will come out "long-term". Also interesting.

I think I'll wait.

The AP3 swap out was the only shoddy justification I could think of to charge existing users a fee for FSD. If no one has it, what is the purpose of throwing us under the bus?

So . . . Purchased EAP for 5k (at the time FSD was 3k) and now that doesn't exist and is called AP and several EAP features are being moved to FSD? Unless I spend the newly reduced back to my original 3k for FSD for. Total of 8k?
I see nothing in the blog post to address EAP owners but think no discount but you can keep your auto lane change and NoA

1) Warrany is available.
2) I have to verify, but from what I understand I would be eligible for the newer MCU and whatever else hardware Tesla deems necessary for FSD (thinking of the new proprietary chip).
3) It would be nice to upgrade from a 90kWh to 100kWh battery pack, but in my view and for my purposes, the cost of trading in isn’t justified.

2) You get new AP3 hardware I think, eventually, because is not even out. MCU2 was never in the picture for FSD. I assume you can buy FSD for the same price next year and get AP3 hw as well.
3) I would probably agree with your assessment here, especially if you lose perks like cheap FSD, free supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: mnm1945
One thing I’m confused abt is this: AP and FSD in the US is now 5k usd as per Elon. In Canada it’s a whopping 14.5k! Wthe? So I’m no theoretical mathematician but a 1.33 exchange rate plus the 6% duty (which is what Tesla’s sell for up here) would yield approximately 7k Canadian. Someone check my math here? This makes no sense. And it already changed as of this morning.

Previously, upgrading to EAP was 9.2k Canadian. (Already ridiculous) and now it’s 5.3k cnd. But it’s 2k usd?? I never really calculated it until now ...when I’m considering adding it. Why is this clearly double (or more) the price here in Canada when all other accessories and the cars themselves are at the proper exchange + 6%?

2) You get new AP3 hardware I think, eventually, because is not even out. MCU2 was never in the picture for FSD. I assume you can buy FSD for the same price next year and get AP3 hw as well.
3) I would probably agree with your assessment here, especially if you lose perks like cheap FSD, free supercharging.

HW3 implies upgrading the MCU — that’s the majority of the upgrade based on my understanding.

2K is beginning next month (April)

Where does it say April?

Based on Elon’s tweet, it seems like a Dees days for their systems to reflect this change he made last night.

Attachments

• 4A39E66B-CFE9-4A9C-9E7F-1E6B7CC89F0C.png
    4A39E66B-CFE9-4A9C-9E7F-1E6B7CC89F0C.png
    537.5 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: MS_Dream