Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what exactly HW3 entails?

A1ADF5DD-4E0E-4B67-93D6-81046E31AA51.jpeg

Sorry, but that seems to be a very unrealistic expectation. Companies/stores have sales all the time. They also mark down prices (either permanently or temporarily) all the time. Look at airline tickets. You can buy the same tickets on the same day and pay different prices because they literally change their pricing all the time. Prices might go up, they might go down but you aren't given a refund if they drop. Same goes for cars. People can go to the same dealership at the same time and walk out paying different prices for the same car. Then the next week the prices drop because it is an end of month sales push, with prices rising again on the first of the month. People pay different prices for the same thing all the time. Try buying a car in a major city and buying one out in the sticks. Guess what, the person buying from a dealership in the city will pay more. Same goes for clothing and groceries. Tesla is actually one of the few companies I know where everyone pays the exact same price if they purchase at the same time, regardless of location. The fact that they choose to change prices later (either up or down) is neither unusual nor unethical and they certainly don't owe you, me, or anyone else.

I ordered my 90D in December 2016 because free lifetime supercharging was going away. Three weeks later the 100D was announced. I was given the option of cancelling my order and shifting it to a 100D, but would lose lifetime supercharging. I chose to stay with the 90D...only to have people who bought the 100Ds also get lifetime supercharging about a week later. Was I disappointed? Yes. Did that mean I felt Tesla screwed me over or owed me anything? Nope...that's the breaks when you order a Tesla.

Is the recent drop in prices for cars and features (EAP/FSD) a move to drive sales? Absolutely. Guess what, most companies do this as well. Now has Tesla done these things in a way that created uncertainty among current and future customers? Absolutely and that is not necessarily a wise thing to do, but they certainly don't owe us anything....

I get that people who paid a higher price aren't happy about it, but that's life and expecting a refund because Tesla lowered the price sometime after you purchased strikes me as incredible...
Well said.

For now, I would like to think of HW3 as the latest, greatest, most futuristic thing my $2k could have bought, period. No more posts on this thread after this, please.
I would guess if we do get HW3 it will be the latest greatest, most futuristic thing $2k could have bought, period. BTW some of us paid a great deal more than $2k for the same latest greatest, most futuristic thing $2k could have bought, period - because we believed in the Tesla dream way before it became a fire sale...

Reactions: CK_Stuggi
Does anyone know what exactly HW3 entails?
Yes. I just received an email from Tesla Customer Support via the online support request. They confirmed that both HW2.0 and HW2.5 cars will get the new APE3.0 autopilot computer. They specifically stated that no sensors, radar, cameras, or other equipment will be upgraded.

Now that I have in writing that my 2.0 car will be retrofitted (at some future, distant point I'm sure), I'm going to plop down the $2k knowing prices are going back up Monday.
Yeah, I thought so. I upgraded yesterday, and I still haven't gotten that message yet. I figured since they announced the reduced rates are terminating, they're a bit behind.
the pop up is caused by an automated job. There's nothing manual here. A bot logs into the car and issues a gateway configuration change and then the MCU displays that FSD has been unlocked (though no other user facing FSD features or changes actually exist beyond the pop up). If you never got the pop up, I'd call support and verify the change went to the right car.

Yeah, I thought so. I upgraded yesterday, and I still haven't gotten that message yet. I figured since they announced the reduced rates are terminating, they're a bit behind.

Upgraded yesterday too, and still haven't gotten that message either.... TeslaFi still shows "APF1" which is EAP, not "APF2" which is FSD.

If you call their support line there is an automated message saying "If you are calling regarding your purchase for Autopilot FSD features that have not been enabled, we are aware of the issue and are actively working to resolve it. Thank you for your patience."

So, hopefully you and I will see that message in a bit...

• Informative
Reactions: rfmurphy81
Yes. I just received an email from Tesla Customer Support via the online support request. They confirmed that both HW2.0 and HW2.5 cars will get the new APE3.0 autopilot computer. They specifically stated that no sensors, radar, cameras, or other equipment will be upgraded.

Now that I have in writing that my 2.0 car will be retrofitted (at some future, distant point I'm sure), I'm going to plop down the $2k knowing prices are going back up Monday.

the pop up is caused by an automated job. There's nothing manual here. A bot logs into the car and issues a gateway configuration change and then the MCU displays that FSD has been unlocked (though no other user facing FSD features or changes actually exist beyond the pop up). If you never got the pop up, I'd call support and verify the change went to the right car.

This is really frustrating. I've never gotten a response from the online support request for any issue. Not once. I just get the email verification that it's been received, then a response never comes.

Every time I call (50-90 minute hold time) I end up just getting someone who has no idea what they're talking about. After I purchased FSD all the person on the phone would do was verify that my payment was received. I asked about option codes, and the indication on the MCU, and the guy seemed to have absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

I didn't receive the pop-up; but I will wait a while longer.

Reactions: ironwaffle

In two calls to Tesla customer service today each representative stated hardware, if needed, is not included in the $2,000 price to upgrade my June 2017 AP2 Model S 75 with EAP to full self driving. One rep further stated after consulting with a more senior programmer at Tesla that the intention is to write the programming in such a way that 2.0 and 2.5 hardware cars will bernerfit from some or all of the FSD programming, but that no promises can be made that at some point a hardware upgrade at my expense may be needed.

• Helpful

In two calls to Tesla customer service today each representative stated hardware, if needed, is not included in the $2,000 price to upgrade my June 2017 AP2 Model S 75 with EAP to full self driving. One rep further stated after consulting with a more senior programmer at Tesla that the intention is to write the programming in such a way that 2.0 and 2.5 hardware cars will bernerfit from some or all of the FSD programming, but that no promises can be made that at some point a hardware upgrade at my expense may be needed.

Two posts above with completely different responses from Tesla and yet some of you wonder why us old timers are so skeptical!!

Email saying yes you do.
Two phone calls saying no you don’t.

Total crap shoot not to mention just total crap.

@kdday, thanks for the above post. It’s helpful. I’m still on the fence. I’m curious (but not critical) of your decision as someone who is weighing and balancing upgrading my 2.5. It sounds like other than flipping the switch, the computer upgrade is where the retrofit stops. It seems possible new cameras (color in 2.0, I’ve read) or sensors (maybe longer range?) may additionally be needed for the 2.0. Are you concerned that this $2,000 may be a down payment on an additional upgrade? With my 2.5 I am. Any input is welcome as I psychologically weigh this all out. You seem very comfortable with the decision, and I’m glad. Certainly, it may help me forge my own decision.

I realize this is paraphrased from your call but I can’t get my head past the “2.5 cars will benefit from some or all” phrasing and the definitive sound of “hardware, if needed, is not included.” These are pretty bright yellow flags in my mind. In accordance with @boonedocks below, there seems like a lot of room for this to be a $2,000 deposit on what may cost more to achieve the “full” benefit. As an EAP owner, under the new definition of FSD I could conceivably already be at the maximum “benefit” level.

I can’t shake the feeling that in three months maybe (or six months definitely) I’m going to be living this scene (starting at 30s) by buying in. Yeah, I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

Two posts above with completely different responses from Tesla and yet some of you wonder why us old timers are so skeptical!!

Email saying yes you do.
Two phone calls saying no you don’t.

Total crap shoot not to mention just total crap.

I’ve only been an owner since late 2017 but I’ve followed this stuff enough and am friends with an AP1 owner who has also taught me well about how these narratives go.

Last edited:
I agree with the concern. I think it might play out one of several ways and the lack of clarity is certainly frustrating. I honestly think the lack of clarity is because Tesla itself just doesn't know. FWIW, I just bought the $2K upgrade. I'm treating it as a long term bet that eventually there will be some sort of difference between FSD and EAP cars and that having a fully loaded car will make the car worth more on trade-in/resale whenever I do that. I tend to hold on to cars for 8-10 years so I'm hoping that the $2K bet will have paid off in someway by 2025 or so when I likely will trade in or sell my car...

• Helpful