Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade, yeah or nay?

FSD Upgrade, yeah or nay?

• Yes!

• No!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can afford to wait to see the capabilities grow and options increase go ahead. I can afford in good faith to pay $6600 Can. now with my order and low interest loan. Would never be able to afford it after $9500 Can with higher interest credit margin payments and original loan. I have faith in Tesla. Also I would hate to not get all the latest tricks and still making car payments. I think that would be worse. You pay for red or white interior, upgraded wheels. Well all those options will always be what they were initially. FSD will get better.

Reactions: scottlawson
You currently have EAP? I dunno, $5k is a lot for no current additional features. Sure you will get the HW3 upgrade, but that is still a lot of scratch. If you are OK with the $$ even if Tesla lowers the price in the future, then go for it.

I bought FSD for $3k in late 2017. 20/20 hindsight, I would not buy it again. I would wait for stuff to release and for Tesla to get into a end of quarter crunch and buy it during a sale.

• Helpful
If you can afford to wait to see the capabilities grow and options increase go ahead. I can afford in good faith to pay $6600 Can. now with my order and low interest loan. Would never be able to afford it after $9500 Can with higher interest credit margin payments and original loan. I have faith in Tesla. Also I would hate to not get all the latest tricks and still making car payments. I think that would be worse. You pay for red or white interior, upgraded wheels. Well all those options will always be what they were initially. FSD will get better.

Good points. I bought my Model 3 outright with some inheritance money, so I can afford the extra.

You currently have EAP? I dunno, $5k is a lot for no current additional features. Sure you will get the HW3 upgrade, but that is still a lot of scratch. If you are OK with the $$ even if Tesla lowers the price in the future, then go for it.

I bought FSD for $3k in late 2017. 20/20 hindsight, I would not buy it again. I would wait for stuff to release and for Tesla to get into a end of quarter crunch and buy it during a sale.

Yep, the possibility of a later price reduction has me on the fence. I think back, tho, to my first Macintosh SE/30 purchase, with software and printer was about $5k . . . in 1989. That was a good investment in my future. Not sure where this purchase might lead me! :D

No, you have EAP already. Let navigate on autopilot, summon, autopark improve before buying unreleased software. Autopilot still isn't all that great and I get phantom braking on my X and 3 with EAP. Once EAP features actually improve I'd be more convinced about the promises of FSD, till then I'm not giving $1 more. Another thought, if FSD truly does improve safety and works well they will want it in more peoples hands and likely decrease costs to increase adoption.

Do you have Enhanced Autopilot already? That, to me, is the decided go-now vs. wait factor.

Because, today, if you have Enhanced Autopilot, you have everything that the FSD package offers. Of course the future is the future ...

I just purchased my Model 3 this month, and I ordered it with FSD. That's simply because it was the only way to get Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark & Summon. Even after less than 2 weeks, I can already say with confidence that it was the right call. I love all 3 of those features.

Zero phantom braking on my 3 after 10 months and 6k miles.

But agree; I won’t spend $ unless there are immediate features delivered. Will enjoy EAP.

I have had a couple of instances of phantom breaking mostly around the shadows on bridges. However, I think enhanced autopilot does very well. Humorously, my wife says it centers the car in the lane on the freeway better than I do as I tend to drive a little off-center to the right while I'm in the carpool lane. In the last 2 months, I have felt that enhanced autopilot has improved and I have very few disengagements. That could be a result of me getting used to it or it could be the result of improved software algorithms.

I did buy the car before it had options like century mode or a dash cam, and although I wanted those things the car did not offer them. I still bought the car and now, for no extra money, I have those features. I guess my thinking is that if I buy now at the stated price, while I won't get any features instantly, the features will arrive and I will be happy I spent less money on them.

I guess it's a gamble, like buying stock.

My 2cents:

Whether it is overpriced or not, I think FSD is a truly tangible way to embrace the future. Why did we all buy smartphones? I think those who have the "early-adopter" spirit, (which is every Tesla owner, in my humble opinion) will want to embrace FSD, even if it isn't fully ready for prime time. I think--when you are using FSD--you are experiencing a bit of what artifical intelligence will do for the future. Tesla's billions of miles of data produces insight which is then transmitted to the hundreds of thousands of cars to learn from. It is the future.

Love or hate Elon Musk--you have to acknowledge that he is a disruptor and challenging the norms. I want to be a part of that.

Made my purchase over the weekend...eagerly awaiting delivery.

My 2cents:

Whether it is overpriced or not, I think FSD is a truly tangible way to embrace the future. Why did we all buy smartphones? I think those who have the "early-adopter" spirit, (which is every Tesla owner, in my humble opinion) will want to embrace FSD, even if it isn't fully ready for prime time. I think--when you are using FSD--you are experiencing a bit of what artifical intelligence will do for the future. Tesla's billions of miles of data produces insight which is then transmitted to the hundreds of thousands of cars to learn from. It is the future.

Love or hate Elon Musk--you have to acknowledge that he is a disruptor and challenging the norms. I want to be a part of that.

Made my purchase over the weekend...eagerly awaiting delivery.

But the OP already purchased the old $5k EAP package. Paying another $5k is a bit much IMO. I think it's too early to pay $5k more and there is a chance prices may go down for EAP and early buyers to increase cash flow. At this time OP has all the "FSD" released features. I would say for a new car buying FSD is a no brainer. However once you factor in just how much money 2018 buyers spent it does not go in their favor anymore. I think Rock solid EAP features is all I would need until full level 4 autonomy is out. The merging and random reflection/shadows causing phantom braking needs to still be addressed. I think old buyers are a little more hesitant towards blindly giving more money at this time compared to any buyer who bought after the pricing changes. By the time FSD is really out it might be time to change to a new vehicle due to wear and tear and age making purchasing FSD now truly a gamble.

Yes, I do. I love enhanced autopilot and use it all of the time. My motivation for buying full self driving now is to avoid a price increase later. Which Elon Musk has stated on Twitter.

But you do remember how that turned out last time for original FSD buyers who were told to purchase now or pay more later? Prices can and will change, either up or down, nobody on this thread knows the answer so essentially it's a gamble.