Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we even know where Tesla gets its map data from? I've seen a hodgepodge of theories including Google, Open Street Maps and TomTom in the past but nothing definite.

There's one highway I drive that is 55 MPH but FSD always has the speed limit at 45 when I first turn on until it sees the speed limit sign ¼ mile later. I assume that's map data but no idea where it would come from.
The map may not be the problem. The handshaking between the city stack and the highway stack could be out of sync.
In my area, sometimes FSD shows speed limit 20mph but the actual speed limit is 65mph on a long freeway ramp. Sometimes FSD takes the wrong freeway entrance where there are 2 entrances close to each other and on the same direction.

From what I can tell with teslafi, their mapupdates aren't showing correctly.....at least for me.....the newest map update i see is 5/16
Something has changed completely with the way maps are made available and how Teslafi shows their install.

In the past I'd get a notification, go off to connect to wifi somewhere, it would download and install and Teslafi would indicate what happened.

For the longest time I had the really old 2023 maps. When we got V12.3.3 I knew from the forums there was a mapping update to 2023.44 and over a week my phone app showed I had a download to do but neither the car nor Teslafi showed anything pending.

I drove over to the Service Centre and hopped on their wifi, the notification went away on my phone but nothing happened for over 30 minutes so I gave up and by the time I was home, it was telling me to sign onto wifi to download an update.

I put in a service request and they told me I had the latest version and I pointed out the problem with app telling me to connect to download an update and they did something that cleared the notification in my app.

When we downloaded V12.3.6, the same thing happened again. We downloaded the last day at our stay at this place with wifi in the driveway and installed before the drive home. By the time I was home, my phone app was telling me to update.

When I came back here weeks later, it must have hopped onto the wifi because the app notification went away and I finally had the 2023.44 maps.

We're back here again so downloaded 2024.14.9 while unloading the car. When the car is parked after unloading, it doesn't have wifi so today we moved it back into range but only the games downloaded.

My dh is arguing with me that the car says we have the latest version of updates and Teslafi doesn't show any pending downloads but I suspect as soon as we leave here, and the car doesn't have wifi, I'll go back to having that notification of a pending download if the maps haven't updated by then.

In the past, I knew I was awaiting a NAV update because both the car and Teslafi told me (important info since they are large and take a long time to download) and when I was sitting in the car after triggering their download, I got the same UI as with a firmware update, with notice I had connected, what was downloading, and how far along in the process I was.

Now, aside from me getting app notification, I wouldn't know the maps were out of date if I wasn't a member of this forum. The last map update Teslafi shows me receiving was October of last year when NA 2023.20 NAV was made available to me after I installed 2023.27.6. There is no indication at all that I have NA.2023.44 (but the car tells me I do.)

Tesla is making it much harder for those of us without wifi at our parking spot to keep our cars updated. If I randomly have to connect my car to wifi for hours/days on end until tesla decides to send the new maps, that's not workable for me.

The mapping currently is total crap in my area; it coded the highway number as the speed limit so the car can't be used on either AP or FSD without major interventions as it is constantly dropping the speed to 60kph each time we drive by a highway marker, then accelerating back up to 80 kph each time it passes an actual speed limit sign. And it won't let us use autosteer at more than 10 kph over the limit so when it thinks it is 60, we have to turn off autosteer. These are mapping errors (not the car reading signs) because when we turn off highway 17 onto highway 20, the car brakes to 20kph (from almost 80) and there are no highway number signs there, just the street name because it is on the other side of the highway 17 that highway 20 begins. The mapping coding is wrong and therefore we know to disengage FSD as it starts into the turn to avoid the braking (and risk being rear-ended for apparently stopping with no reason in the street.)

There's one highway I drive that is 55 MPH but FSD always has the speed limit at 45 when I first turn on until it sees the speed limit sign ¼ mile later. I assume that's map data but no idea where it would come from.
Any chance that is highway 45? The majority of my incorrect speed limits are traced back to the highway numbers. The other place it does it for me is where there was construction with a lower speed limit for a while. Oh, and every single 'lower speed limit ahead' sign. It changes speed at the sign with the arrow, not at the speed limit begins sign.

And, of course, it reads all speed limit ends signs as whatever speed limit is ending. And ignores all orange signs (school zones, lower limit for curves and on-ramps.)

Suffice to say, FSDs remains FSDjunk as far as I'm concerned, and the junk mapping they use is 90% of the issue on my weekly 3 hour drive.

Any chance that is highway 45? The majority of my incorrect speed limits are traced back to the highway numbers. The other place it does it for me is where there was construction with a lower speed limit for a while. Oh, and every single 'lower speed limit ahead' sign. It changes speed at the sign with the arrow, not at the speed limit begins sign.

And, of course, it reads all speed limit ends signs as whatever speed limit is ending. And ignores all orange signs (school zones, lower limit for curves and on-ramps.)

Suffice to say, FSDs remains FSDjunk as far as I'm concerned, and the junk mapping they use is 90% of the issue on my weekly 3 hour drive.
it's actually highway 55! It's a state highway with stoplights so it's not the V11 stack, either. It happens when I first turn on (from a stoplight intersection.) As soon as it sees a speed limit sign it fixes itself and it's fine. MN state highway signs are blue so they aren't easily confused for speed limit signs like some others can be.

Something has changed completely with the way maps are made available and how Teslafi shows their install.

In the past I'd get a notification, go off to connect to wifi somewhere, it would download and install and Teslafi would indicate what happened.

Interesting. I have never gotten a notice that new maps were ready to be downloaded. Maps have always just dropped on their own. I got the 2024 maps early last week and didn't realize it until a 7 year problem with navigation routing was fixed much to my surprise.