Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible that the car was traveling much faster, such that by the time you physically checked its position, it was already at your bumper? Seeing a car that was passing me and that close in the visualization would inform me that I don't have space to change lanes. On the other hand, if I was overtaking that driver, it would mean I have enough clearance.
The car was passing me so it was obviously traveling faster than I was. I saw the car approaching and had the camera set in position then watched the car approach in my mirrors, snapping the picture when it crossed my bumper line. If anything it may have been a bit farther forward.
Maybe not a primary but a secondary consideration during its design. Again, why would it zoom out for lane changes?
Even as a secondary it’s inadequate at best if not dangerous. It suffers from the same fault that the repeater cameras do - it forces you to look away from the lane to which you are merging.

Maybe not a primary but a secondary consideration during its design. Again, why would it zoom out for lane changes?
I don't dissagree. To me the visualization is a guide that gives general situational awareness. There are the blind spot camera, red warning strip and an audible specifically for blind spot collision warning. In addition, there's the red highlighted vehicle in the visualization that may or may not be shown in its actual position relative to ego.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm thinking of another car, but I thought Tesla doesn't have a blind spot indicator, so it uses the visualization and highlights the car in red with am audible alert.
My 2022 MSLR on 2024.20.1 has camera views that come up when a turn signal is actuated. If there is an impending collision with a lane change, the visualization on the DIC will show a red vehicle, there will also be a red strip on the blind spot camera view and there will be an audible alert. If your car is a Highland, a blind spot led in the A pillar will light up.

The car was passing me so it was obviously traveling faster than I was. I saw the car approaching and had the camera set in position then watched the car approach in my mirrors, snapping the picture when it crossed my bumper line. If anything it may have been a bit farther forward.
Your photo would have been more convincing if it had the mirror and visualization in the same shot. 😂
Or even split screen with the camera app, though I find it can be difficult gauging distance with the cameras.

Even as a secondary it’s inadequate at best if not dangerous. It suffers from the same fault that the repeater cameras do - it forces you to look away from the lane to which you are merging.
And when you check your shoulder, you are looking away from what's in front of you. I prefer checking the screen (for camera or visualization) because there is not much transition between windshield and screen, as opposed to turning your head completely away from the road in front of you then back.

Here’s a good example - the bumper of the car shown to my left was actually in front of my car’s bumper when this shot was taken. Had I merged I would have caused an accident.

It the accuracy is dependent on relative speed (or anything, for that matter) then it’s worthless as a blind spot monitor.
View attachment 1057421
I hope the blind spot safety warnings would have activated if the turn signal was activated. Red car on the visualization, red strip on the blind spot camera view and an audible. If not, then we are all doomed.

Reactions: cyborgLIS
I hope the blind spot safety warnings would have activated if the turn signal was activated. Red car on the visualization, red strip on the blind spot camera view and an audible. If not, then we are all doomed.
Yeah - I don’t know because I didn’t try to merge!
Your photo would have been more convincing if it had the mirror and visualization in the same shot. 😂
Or even split screen with the camera app, though I find it can be difficult gauging distance with the cameras.

And when you check your shoulder, you are looking away from what's in front of you. I prefer checking the screen (for camera or visualization) because there is not much transition between windshield and screen, as opposed to turning your head completely away from the road in front of you then back.
Sorry - that’s the best I could do while driving and not being dangerous!

I have my driver’s side wing mirror set to cover the blind spot so all I need to do is turn my head sightly. I can then see the blind spot in the mirror. As the car leaves the area covered by the mirror it enters my peripheral vision. With the mirrors adjusted like this I can easily cover my blind spot without taking my eyes off the road. This also lets me check the next lane over if I’m on a 3 lane road.

You can easily test this. Park in an empty parking lot (church lots work really well). Go into the Service Menu (the hidden one) and bring up the camera feeds. Now have a friend walk around the car while you change camera feeds and see if there is a blind spot, and how large it is. Report back here.
And if you don't have any friends can you just pay some churchy people to do the walkabout? Asking for a friend..........if I had one..........

Something has changed with FSD and recent updates (including spring update)...maybe just with the highway stack (which is still V11?).

I was on the highway and navigation was correct going straight but FSD turned on the turn signal and was exiting on a turnpike (I have avoid tolls enabled) - which is another way to go, but even navigation was still going straight. I have seen videos of FSD not following navigation and doing some good maneuvers, but shouldn't it follow navigation (especially on highway V11 stack)?

Most of my disengagements are navigation
- the car can drive, but doesn't always know which lane to be in or even continue following navigation. This is very confusing on what to predict....especially when the FSD version has not changed but has different behaviors.

I assume navigation is just more training needed for V12 as it is still new. Overall some of this can appear bad because city and highway stack are not merged yet and judging V12 based on changes to FSD highway stack (V11?) is misleading. Looking forward to 12.5/.6 merge and more training completed to understand behaviors better so I know what the car plans to do before doing it.

Overall some of this can appear bad because city and highway stack are not merged yet and judging V12 based on changes to FSD highway stack (V11?) is misleading. Looking forward to 12.5/.6 merge and more training completed to understand behaviors better so I know what the car plans to do before doing it.

Same here. Most of my remaining challenges are on the v11 highway stack so I'm really looking forward to the merge and shakedown of known bugs. Given the current delays on 12.4 I suspect we may not see the merge (12.5 ?) before September/October.

Reactions: edseloh and hobertg
Yes, it it’s important to stop at the line. If you stop before the line you may get a ticket if you do not also stop at the line.
This is such stupid misinterpretation of the law.

Law requires you to stop at the line because it does not want you to go ahead and get into an accident. It is like the line of last defense. It also does not mean that you can stop 30 feet away and claim you stopped for the STOP sign. Sigh....

"If there is no line, they should stop as close as possible while still having a clear view of the intersection"

The language of a statute should not be given a literal meaning if doing so would result in absurd consequences which the Legislature did not intend

This is such stupid misinterpretation of the law.

Law requires you to stop at the line because it does not want you to go ahead and get into an accident. It is like the line of last defense. It also does not mean that you can stop 30 feet away and claim you stopped for the STOP sign. Sigh....

"If there is no line, they should stop as close as possible while still having a clear view of the intersection"

The language of a statute should not be given a literal meaning if doing so would result in absurd consequences which the Legislature did not intend

I'm not sure what you're saying. It's super unclear. I was just saying that it is important to stop at the line if there is one and you don't want to get a ticket. Enforcement may vary, but my understanding is that that is the correct place to stop when a line is present (if there is not a line, then you use the crosswalk, or failing that, stop where you have a clear view). You can & should also stop elsewhere, in addition, if conditions warrant.

Anyway, rather than typing more, just refer to the opinion of the appeals court. They discuss the relevant considerations.

It also does not mean that you can stop 30 feet away and claim you stopped for the STOP sign. Sigh....
Agreed.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji