Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah - I don’t know because I didn’t try to merge!

Sorry - that’s the best I could do while driving and not being dangerous!

I have my driver’s side wing mirror set to cover the blind spot so all I need to do is turn my head sightly. I can then see the blind spot in the mirror. As the car leaves the area covered by the mirror it enters my peripheral vision. With the mirrors adjusted like this I can easily cover my blind spot without taking my eyes off the road. This also lets me check the next lane over if I’m on a 3 lane road.
I've absolutely had FSDS do that to me, it signals and starts to move at the same time, but the side view popup shows the car its about to hit and the window is red.

Ughhhh

Speed vs Navigation. It did it again.

Highway with 5 lanes on one side.

The right two lanes are full of traffic and slow because 1 mile ahead they are the exit off the highway.
The left most lane is empty.
FSDs 12.3.6 goes giddy under "Average" mode and changes to the left most lane so that it can go 77mph (10%+ on 70mph speed limit)
In doing so, it realized too late that it now has to switch over 3 lanes to get to the exit lane, which of course nobody is going to let you at those speeds.
FSDs goes bonkers, slows down to 65 while it reroutes. Vehicle driver behind me goes bonkers not knowing why my vehicle slowed down.
It then took the next exit and ended up adding 15 more minutes to my drive.

FSDs needs to stop acting like a kid.

I was on the highway and navigation was correct going straight but FSD turned on the turn signal and was exiting on a turnpike (I have avoid tolls enabled) - which is another way to go, but even navigation was still going straight. I have seen videos of FSD not following navigation and doing some good maneuvers, but shouldn't it follow navigation (especially on highway V11 stack)?
This happened to me yesterday. Should have went straight to use the correct exit but decided to move over 2 lanes at the last min and take the wrong exit.

Green line is what it should have taken, red line is the path it took
1718729038435.png

During the same drive V12.3.6 did something great but then screws up a lane change right after. It saw the truck blocking the lane and waited until it could merge over but then right after when trying to get back over it could not decide what lane to use.

That is the misinterpretation I was referring to. The line is there to make sure that you stop at or before that. How much before is subjective, but definitely not like 30 feet or a mile before the line.
100% correct. At the line obviously allows some flex; it doesn't have to be within 1 inch. I'm not misinterpreting anything!

Precedent says that 10 feet before the line is too far (refer to the appeals court rationale for several reasons why it is important to stop in the vicinity of the line - e.g. so that other drivers can determine who has right of way).

Basically you should stop in a reasonable position that allows other drivers and road users to determine whether you have stopped and what you are doing. Currently FSD does not always do that (as evidenced by other drivers being confused by FSD behavior in my case; see earlier discussion on this a few months ago).

That's all. That's why it's important to stop at the line (by which I mean in the vicinity of the line).

That is the misinterpretation I was referring to. The line is there to make sure that you stop at or before that. How much before is subjective, but definitely not like 30 feet or a mile before the line.
I simply approach the intersection and stop where I can see cross traffic and everyone around me knows what I'm gong to do. When the Stop sign and line are too far from the intersection everyone where I live simply ignores both and proceeds very slowly, stopping when necessary. Police don't care as long as you're driving safely and carefully. We have intersections where the Stop sign and Line are 10 feet from the intersection. I just ignore them and have never gotten a ticket.

Last edited:
The party usually starts when you get close to "the line"... that's when things speed up. Heard that from @PACEMD
Thanks Doc for the sage advice.

Last edited:
I simply approach the intersection and stop where I can see cross traffic and everyone around me knows what I'm gong to do. When the Stop sign and line are too far from the intersection everyone where I live simply ignores both and proceeds very slowly, stopping when necessary. Police don't care as long as you're driving safely and carefully. We have intersections where the Stop sign and Line are 10 feet from the intersection. I just ignore them and have never gotten a ticket.
The law is mostly about what's reasonable. The car stops with a decent gap between itself and the car ahead, or a few feet from the stop line. Is that unreasonable?

Scenario:

Your car comes to a red light and stops with a 10 foot gap between you and the lead car. A distracted driver behind you runs into you at 30MPH. What will the impact be to the lead car with a 10 foot gap? What if it was a 3 foot gap?

Your car comes to a red light and stops 8 feet before the stop line. A pedestrian crosses the street in front of you and a distracted driver rear ends you at 30MPH. What will the impact be to the pedestrian with a 11 foot gap (8 feet to the line and 3 feet to the center of the crosswalk where the pedestrian is)? What if that gap was 3 feet (you're stopped at the line)?

Creating a reasonable gap is fine in most places and can improve safety in some cases.

Perfect example which happened to me years ago (pre Tesla). I'm a defensive driver, and try to keep a good gap between me and lead cars (tailgaters be damned). On my way home (SD -> OC), traffic was doing 75ish and suddenly stopped. I slammed on my brakes and came to a stop with about 5 feet to the lead car. Then I looked in my mirror and saw the guy behind me, braced for what I thought would be a collision, but he managed to stop with about 5 feet between us. Then he got rear ended, and it pushed him into me. No real damage to either of us, which we were both amazed at. However, the back of his car was crushed, and the car that hit him was crushed. I left with no real damage because I kept a good gap to the car ahead, and the guy behind me saved me by keeping a good gap as well.

Yeah, the freeway in my area is typically 60 or 65 and there are now some spots where the car thinks it’s 50 and showed an exit as being something else. The map data sucks now.
Do we even know where Tesla gets its map data from? I've seen a hodgepodge of theories including Google, Open Street Maps and TomTom in the past but nothing definite.

There's one highway I drive that is 55 MPH but FSD always has the speed limit at 45 when I first turn on until it sees the speed limit sign ¼ mile later. I assume that's map data but no idea where it would come from.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Do we even know where Tesla gets its map data from? I've seen a hodgepodge of theories including Google, Open Street Maps and TomTom in the past but nothing definite.

There's one highway I drive that is 55 MPH but FSD always has the speed limit at 45 when I first turn on until it sees the speed limit sign ¼ mile later. I assume that's map data but no idea where it would come from.
General Motors, Ford, and Fisker collaboration.