Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did you have to ask for a lane change? Let it do it's thing, and don't be the nagging wife
In retrospect I guess it would have been fine. But it’s customary to pass on the left and there is quite a decent chance of the truck turning back into the slow lane in that situation (what I thought it would do!) and it might not see me. I prefer the left lane. I was not really surprised that it stayed in the middle lane though.

In any case the car had plenty of time to respond. Don’t blame the victim.

In retrospect I guess it would have been fine. But it’s customary to pass on the left and there is quite a decent chance of the truck turning back into the slow lane and it might not see me. I prefer the right.

In any case the car had plenty of time to respond. Don’t blame the victim.
Nope. You are asking it to do something while it is planning its next moves. That is ridiculous behavior on your behalf.

Nope. You are asking it to do something while it is planning its next moves. That is ridiculous behavior on your behalf.
Again, please don’t blame the victim. The car is quite able to handle user input. I was not pressing the accelerator or anything.

In any case it wasn’t really appropriate to accelerate. (I did, quickly, after evaluating whether he was going to move into #1 lane.)

You asking to change lanes while it is determining it's next steps because of that truck merging onto the road is not interference?

LOL

This is how I feel about this situation....

If it had eased off the accelerator I would have just let it be.

I guess it knew the truck was going to be in #2 lane from millions of video clips and it was going to blast by in #3. 😂

As you can see, the truck would not have been properly clear of the #3 lane, anyway.
IMG_1316.jpeg

You really would have been cool with it charging the side of the truck?

Last edited:
If it had eased off the accelerator I would have just let it be.

I guess it knew the truck was going to be in #2 lane from millions of video clips and it was going to blast by in #3. 😂

As you can see, the truck would not have been properly clear of the #3 lane, anyway. You really would have been cool with it charging the side of the truck?
I personally would have just let it go. The truck came out, and my bet would be that FSDS would have slowed down to let the truck complete its maneuver, and then continued in the #3 lane. If the truck wanted back into the #3 lane, and signaled, FSDS would have slowed down to let the truck move back into the lane. The size of the truck is likely why he had to turn wide into the #2, but there's no reason he couldn't have just gone wider and landed in the #1 lane. He probably didn't see your car making the right into the #3 lane before he committed to his turn, and just expected you to slow down for him.

If I felt I knew better, I'd just disengage, pass the truck, and then re-engage. But more likely I'd just let FSDS do its thing, which would likely be slowing down for the truck.

my bet would be that FSDS would have slowed down to let the truck complete its maneuver,

But more likely I'd just let FSDS do its thing, which would likely be slowing down for the truck.

Yeah that was my bet, and I would have done that too. Unfortunately that is not what happened. It was kind of surprising! So had to make a decision to try to alleviate the inappropriate acceleration.

When actually evaluating and not just using as a driver aid, I try not to intervene (especially since I was doing this just to experiment with the right turn onto a busy street!) if I don’t have to and it is safe to do so.

Yes. That is how I drive FSD. I don’t preemptively identify it’s response and then preemptively try to fix it
There wasn’t anything preemptive about it. Watch the video. The car was accelerating inappropriately towards the truck. That’s before any input from me!

I feel like people don’t actually watch what is happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: OxBrew and Dewg
In your case, disengaging was the correct procedure, and I would have as well in your situation.
Yes. That is normally what I would do, as I said. Since there were no cars behind me, I had no concerns about letting it go (of course yes I did request a lane change after the inappropriate response - we’ll never know what would have happened exactly if I had not done that, but we do know it would not have been correct).

I don’t mind charging up behind a truck in that situation. I was ready for anything and slamming on the brakes was a completely benign option if needed. All completely inappropriate and not what I would do, but I wanted to let it play out as an experiment on public roads. 😂 I also expected a response at some point, albeit unpleasant.

Anyone else in adjacent lanes and it would have meant instant disengagement. There would have been no room for maneuvering.

Last edited:
Yes. That is normally what I would do, as I said. Since there were no cars behind me, I had no concerns about letting it go (of course yes I did request a lane change after the inappropriate response - we’ll never know what would have happened exactly if I had not done that, but we do know it would not have been correct).

I don’t mind charging up behind a truck in that situation. I was ready for anything and slamming on the brakes was a completely benign option if needed. All completely inappropriate and not what I would do but I wanted to let it play out as an experiment on public roads. 😂

Anyone else in adjacent lanes and it would have meant disengagement.
So far, in my experience, whenever a car or truck "cuts" out in front of me, FSDS has braked, usually pretty hard, for them. I have never attempted a lane change at the same time, so I have no experience to confirm or refute your experience, or to say that's "normal" for FSDS. Nearly impossible to test the same scenario again, unfortunately.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So far, in my experience, whenever a car or truck "cuts" out in front of me, FSDS has braked, usually pretty hard, for them.
Yes. That was my expectation but it did not happen here, and it was given time to respond before I made my request. It’s not like I signaled as soon as the truck pulled out.
I have never attempted a lane change at the same time, so I have no experience to confirm or refute your experience, or to say that's "normal" for FSDS
Again, the lane change request was after, not at the same time.

Reactions: Dewg
There wasn’t anything preemptive about it. Watch the video. The car was accelerating inappropriately towards the truck. That’s before any input from me!

I feel like people don’t actually watch what is happening.
I have seen that almost 5 times before I commented. I don't see anything that tells me I should have taken over.

Yes. That was my expectation but it did not happen here, and it was given time to respond before I made my request. It’s not like I signaled as soon as the truck pulled out.

Again, the lane change request was after, not at the same time.
It's hard to tell from video, but my experience would have been the car starting to brake fairly hard, around 7-8 seconds in your video. Looks like you initiated the lane change around 6 seconds or so. Would be nice if it started the slowdown earlier, and more gracefully, than waiting for the last moment and braking. Hopefully it's improved in future versions.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It's hard to tell from video, but my experience would have been the car starting to brake fairly hard, around 7-8 seconds in your video. Looks like you initiated the lane change around 6 seconds or so.
Yes at around 6-6.5 seconds, 1.5 seconds after cut-in detection, during which there was significant acceleration.

IMG_1317.jpeg

It’s interesting how the shadow of one tree falls on the white box truck and makes it look like the tree behind it is complete! It’s nearly perfect. It’s like a transparent truck.

This is why having the GoPro would have been super nice to have. Probably it would have just visualized the truck though. And plus we cannot trust those anyway.

Would be nice if it started the slowdown earlier, and more gracefully, than waiting for the last moment and braking. Hopefully it's improved in future versions.
Yeah that would have been appropriate. Doesn’t seem that difficult.

Completely typical for FSD of course in current form, as evidenced by basically everyone posting here with similar experiences.

Last edited:
Yes at around 6-6.5 seconds, 1.5 seconds after cut-in detection, during which there was significant acceleration.

View attachment 1061665

Yeah that would have been appropriate. Doesn’t seem that difficult.

Completely typical for FSD of course in current form, as evidenced by basically everyone posting here with similar experiences.
What mode are you running?
Chill, average or assertive?

You are quite talented, Thank you!!
That is my proprietary property (is that redundant?). 🤔 Do you have ANY idea how many seconds of my life were spent slaving over Dall-E to render that work? My time is INVALUABLE and worth at least 2¢ per second (so is that mean it is valuable?) 🤔 🤣 . I estimate I spent at least 11 seconds of hard sweaty work on it. So you need to pay up 22¢ or I WILL sue. I will have an iron clad case (I will call LSDtester#1 as a characterless witness🤪) and will not settle for less then $6.78. So pay 22¢ now or prepare for Judge Judy.

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 5.06.07 PM.png