Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD worth now and future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 6k for the FSD worth with the current available features?

OR

Is it wise to add it later when all the features are available? If so, will it be expensive to add later?

Elon Musk thinks so, and many others do also.
Is a $400K condo in downtown Seattle worth buying it? Certainly, but not everyone needs one or can afford one.
Is a Model 3 SR a good deal at $35K? I think so. But why aren't my neighbors buying one? They don't think so or they don't need one.

If you think you will need FSD and if you can afford to leave $6K buried until it becomes useable, you should probably buy it now. Elon said he will keep raising the price.

Reactions: M109Rider
I’ll say this.

I just took delivery with a $5k cost and I was supremely impressed by what the FSD could handle. I changed three freeways on auto pilot the whole time. I had to confirm lane changes which is fine - but I could not believe how well the car handled the whole experience.

I condition this awesomeness with San Diego traffic at 730pm so it was moderate but not bumper to bumper or 50mph no lane spaces where you literally have to force your car into a spot to not jack up traffic but still make your lane.

Overall, I definitely believe Tesla can execute but i’m biased since I have it at $5k and I tested it on my route. Is it perfect? No. But was it fun watching it do the lane changes and drive itself while I hovered over the process? Definitely.

Reactions: OPRCE
Elon Musk thinks so, and many others do also.
Is a $400K condo in downtown Seattle worth buying it? Certainly, but not everyone needs one or can afford one.
Is a Model 3 SR a good deal at $35K? I think so. But why aren't my neighbors buying one? They don't think so or they don't need one.

If you think you will need FSD and if you can afford to leave $6K buried until it becomes useable, you should probably buy it now. Elon said he will keep raising the price.
This is a great response and it helped me to think in the right direction. I probably need to think about my use case and see if I need FSD at all. probably not as I don't drive a lot now. Am I willing to wait and add it at the extra cost? Yes, if the features excites me and if I am going to use them.

Elon just tweeted that every FSD car should be able to complete an LA-to-NY drive fully on AP, "this year." If that moment comes, FSD will look a lot more attractive. It has to stop at stop lights/signs first, though.

I'll be holding off until 1). it becomes a reality and 2). until the complete refresh on the S comes out. Be a shame to put down $6k on on a car that someone might sell in the the next X years. *hint* - you don't get your money back on software enabled features.

Buy $6K worth of TSLA stocks to beat out FSD price increase.
This is exactly the correct answer IMHO. If Tesla ever releases a FSD system that actually works, the stock value will go up so much you'll be able to add it later by selling your stock.

OTOH, if it continues to be vaporware, you'll at least have some value in the stock.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Kanting said:
Buy $6K worth of TSLA stocks to beat out FSD price increase.

This is exactly the correct answer IMHO. If Tesla ever releases a FSD system that actually works, the stock value will go up so much you'll be able to add it later by selling your stock.

OTOH, if it continues to be vaporware, you'll at least have some value in the stock.

Except that TSLA stock reflects an awful lot of other factors other than FSD software capability.
There are production supply chain challenges galore, ongoing inability to scale manufacturing to target, investment disputes with the sole battery supplier (Panasonic), forays into flame throwers, insurance, and god knows what else.

Tesla cars have been a great product, and we love them.
Tesla the company has not been particularly well run or managed, and investing into it is an extremely adventurous proposition.

TSLA is -23% YTD. Wanna buy today, or wait till it drops a little more ?

a

Is 6k for the FSD worth with the current available features?

OR

Is it wise to add it later when all the features are available? If so, will it be expensive to add later?

When I placed my order I said no way. AS I thought about it and the price went up, I added it for $6,600 CAD a few days ago. My thinking is that if they ever go full autonomous, we can have 2 cars instead of 5.

It's also way cool.

Reactions: M109Rider
I bought it during the FSD price drop for $2k. My reasoning was:

1. Likely never gonna be cheaper.
2. Already had EAP but the HW3 upgrade future-proofed me for new and/or improved existing functionality. At some point, new futures will have a dependency on HW3.
3. Gonna keep my car for a long time.

For $6k? I wouldn’t.

For me it would be $3K for AP + $6500 for FSD. There is no way I’m spending $9,500 on mostly vaporware. What functionality they offer now is almost worthless in LA traffic. By the time they get FSD to be useful I may want to trade in my Model 3 for the next latest and greatest car out there. If that happens my investment in FSD would have been almost a complete waste of money.