Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FTC complaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The online complaint is extremely fast and I think getting a thousand complaints, each having to be addressed would attract a lot more attention than one with a thousand signatures

It depends, if we can collect 50,000 to 100,000 signatures, that's hard to ignore. I also think we could possibly get Elon to tweet out the link for it, and ask his followers to "sign it", you want a grassroots effort, that's what you should aim for. The next step will be picketing these large car dealers that are supporting NADA.. Call in the local TV stations/CNN, make a big stinky mess on national TV. "Car dealers stopping new automotive technology because of their own greed", bring signature petitions to the protests, the public mostly hates car dealers anyway, could end up with millions of signatures... I'm betting NADA backs off before very long, the last thing they want it a massive public outcry against their position.

Last edited:
This was attempted a couple of months ago, but didn't get the needed 100K signatures: Petition to Overturn Dealership Franchise Laws

We could always try again.

What about finding out who the largest dealers are in Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, then protesting these dealers, a large line of Model S cars on the street just in front of these dealers - do not block their entrance or do anything illegal. When the dealer reps comes out to talk to the "leader" and ask you to move, refuse. It's a public way, and you are not blocking their entrance. Have signs for the message.. They will be boiling mad. You will need to do this for weeks at a time, it will send a very loud message. I realize people have day jobs, I hear Saturday is most car dealers busiest day, civil disobedience sends a message too.

Edit: protesting in front if the NADA supporting dealers accomplishes multiple goals, it shows the dealers that they have not been successful in blocking the sales of Teslas cars in their state. If Also might open the eyes of some of the dealers potential customers to Tesla and electric cars, you might end up costing the dealer several sales. They will want and end to the protests, just tell them to stop their financial support for NADA and their quest to ban Teslas sales in the state.

Last edited:
It depends, if we can collect 50,000 to 100,000 signatures, that's hard to ignore. I also think we could possibly get Elon to tweet out the link for it, and ask his followers to "sign it"...

Members of this message board joined such a petition gathering to the White House from mid-April through mid-May: Petition to Overturn Dealership Franchise Laws . The goal was 100,000. We got over 4000 during the first couple of days, then interest trailed off and we never reached 6000. Elon did encourage us through a tweet.

All of your suggestions are fine ones. Everyone needs to e-mail the FTC Bureau of Competition and the three people who represent you in Congress, no matter in which state you reside. This is a matter of interstate commerce which is protected by the US Constitution. Even though the cars are produced in California, as a shareholder you are a company owner who can reside in any state and can demand that the federal government protects you. Of course those who reside in states actively seeking to thwart Tesla Motors should contact their governor and state legislators.

My career was in TV news. Now here is the problem with the local media. Advertising is their lifeblood. The car dealers are big advertisers. Tesla Motors advertises nowhere. The greatest likelihood for success would come from non-profit media such as your local PBS and NPR stations. Among the national commercial media, stick with those that have demonstrated allegiance to a green agenda. Those that have not bow toward big oil and Detroit which advertise heavily.

Huh, a line of beautiful Teslas of all colors and configurations in front of large dealerships on a busy day (Saturday or Sunday)..... No protest needed. Just steal their customers by showing them what they could buy with their money. That may be just enough to make them want to leave Tesla alone.

Huh, a line of beautiful Teslas of all colors and configurations in front of large dealerships on a busy day (Saturday or Sunday)..... No protest needed. Just steal their customers by showing them what they could buy with their money. That may be just enough to make them want to leave Tesla alone.

Oh, that's good. Excellent idea.

I do come up with an occasional gem :). Make sure you are on public property, do not block or harrass anyone, and there is nothing they can do.

Slightly off topic--I had a meeting with a client who owns a Mercedes dealership. I was late so I quickly parked and headed for the door. A customer who had his car in for service stopped me. He wanted to look at the car and find out what model it was. I told him,"I am sorry sir, you can't buy this car here. In fact you cannot buy it at a traditional dealership. I don't work here. I would be happy to show you my car, but I am late for a meeting--got to Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles for more information. If you are still here after my meeting I will be happy to show you the car."

So if you want to protest, protest in front of dealers that sell similarly priced cars.

Hi. My name is Bobby. I feel kind of weird introducing myself like this, but I didn't see a formal place for introductions. But there's another thing weird about me posting here: I have NEVER owned a car. In fact, I have NEVER even tried to get a drivers license. I am 44 years old. My primary mode of transportation is my feet for walking, and secondary biking. If I got to go further than my feet or bike take me I will ride a bus. If I need to evacuate for a hurricane as I did for Hurricane Katrina back in 2005 then I get a ride with family or friends. So far, that has worked for me. I have a small carbon footprint (but sore feet :lol).

But somehow I am completely taken by the Tesla Model S. I love new technology even though I can feel a bit uneasy about it from time to time. I even bought a beta copy of Mac OSX when it first came out years ago.

Anyway, I have been lurking around here for the past few days, and had no plans of posting here because what does it matter what a guy who never drives thinks about cars?

But I do LOVE politics, and have volunteered for campaigns since I turned 18 all those years ago. What I don't know is whether the FTC has any ability to overrule state laws. But if you can convince 218 Congressmen, and oddly 60 of 100 Senators and one President ;), the Supremacy Clause will win out.

But I really wonder if another tactic would work: Form a SuperPac. If you can raise enough money to make a SuperPac worthwhile, you could target each legislator in every state district, and ultimately turn this into an election year issue in 2014 midterms. I would in raising money for the SuperPac try to keep it independent of Tesla, and while it might be easier to raise money to get Elon Musk to donate to the effort, keeping it independent and never mentioning Tesla in your superpac ads, and just focus on issues like Auto Consumers Free Choice.

In fact you can name your model legislation the Auto Consumers Free Choice Act. "Tell Representative Smith to support the Auto Consumers Free Choice Act..." And your negative ads could focus on "dirty deals with auto dealers trying to give you a bad deal... tell Senator Jones to not sell out consumers to dirty auto dealers and support the Auto Consumers Free Choice Act."

Anyway, thanks for being early adapters of this new technology that will help to protect the planet. I hope this whole thing works out because I'd rather not see my hometown of New Orleans drowned again (or for that matter, the eastern seaboard). I'm rooting for you guys even if I remain carless for the rest of my life.

Hi. My name is Bobby. I feel kind of weird introducing myself like this, but I didn't see a formal place for introductions. But there's another thing weird about me posting here: I have NEVER owned a car. In fact, I have NEVER even tried to get a drivers license. I am 44 years old. My primary mode of transportation is my feet for walking, and secondary biking. If I got to go further than my feet or bike take me I will ride a bus. If I need to evacuate for a hurricane as I did for Hurricane Katrina back in 2005 then I get a ride with family or friends. So far, that has worked for me. I have a small carbon footprint (but sore feet :lol).

Hi Bobby and welcome!

We lived in NOLA in 2005 as well. Good times.