Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fuel prices world-wide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in London at weekend, went in family car loaded with baby gear.

Drove onto a forecourt in central London for petrol and noticed ordinary unleaded was whopping £1.44 litre = £6.53 / UK gallon = $10.20 ! And if that wasn’t shocking enough, I then noticed Diesel at the same place was £1.52 Lt = £ 6.90 / Uk gallon = $10.76. I then drove straight back out without filling up, and used the vapour in the tank to get to a more reasonable fill up place on the way back home saving about £15. Its just hard to get over that a fill up is now over £100 / $156 per tank ... Thats more than the purchase cost of my first complete car (well, almost complete) when I was a student ...

That £15 saving is the equivalent of about 7 full charges on the Tesla, or in other words 1,000+ miles worth of electricity. Another way of looking at this is to realise that a full tank of petrol now costs almost as much as an entire years worth of charging the Tesla ...

I hope people in USA look at these UK petrol figures and take on board just how ridiculous this is by comparison with your expensive $4 / gallon !!!

Bring on Model X.

Last edited:
In Germany prices are stable around 1.44€/L diesel 1.50€/L gasoline 1.55€/L premium. That's 6.93, 7.22, and 7.46 US$/ US gallon, resp. A friend of mine noted that it now takes €100 to fill up his VW Passat diesel. I answered that round figures help calculating how often to gas up until you've spent the purchase price again in petrol! Appears to be 300 times, or 6 years.

I caught an interesting piece on CNN this morning; their web summary gives the gist. The really interesting thing about the piece is not merely that it shows the price of gasoline, but also percent of income of average gas purchases by state. These were really shocking: California, 9%; Florida, 10%; Texas, 11%. This is a LOT of money!

I hope people in USA look at these UK petrol figures and take on board just how ridiculous this is by comparison with your expensive $4 / gallon !!!

WOW! $4/gal, that would be expensive!!! I can get gas around the corner for $2.94/gal USD. EV's will never take off with gas so cheap!

That's 0.61 Euro/litre for those on the other side of the Atlantic.

Last edited:
Obscene Petrol Prices T Shirt by CharGrilled

imagegen.ashx?vpimageid=2491&tstyle=m&tsize=medium&tcolour=Navy&tx=0&ty=7&tw=22&tb=True.jpg

Isn't this where you get a price vs demand curve and a price vs supply/production curve and where these two intersect maximizes revenue? It's really a big multi-variable optimization.
Unless the demand for gasoline has shifted (i.e., independent of the price, people now want to buy more gasoline -- because, e.g. they now have a job and drive to work), the only way that you get decreased demand and increased price is to have a downward sloping supply curve. That, in turn, only happens in a non-competitive industry where companies can price in fixed costs. Gee, did I just conclude that the oil industry might be less than fully competitive?

Here's Gasbuddy.com's Gasoline Forecast for 2012.

They are forecasting near $5/gal for some U.S. cities for Memorial Day.

Larry

It appears to me that media reports in US don't address anything that has impact on every day's life and is FARTHER than 6 months away. Another example is 1 million EVs on the road by 2015 - what does that to me?
OK here is my prediction. US will see $6/gal in more than 25% of all cities before EOY. If $5 is a concern $6 is a shock? Not really. You will see $8/gal before 2014 ends.