Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full 360° View?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kermee

It's Not Easy Being Green
Jul 31, 2018
WA, BC & HKG
Multiple threads I've read sort of had me resigned to the fact that Full 360° View would never come to the Model 3 but from this blog posting here: Introducing Software Version 9.0 - The Tesla Team - October 5, 2018

hCRWM3J.png

Could someone please take a picture or a video of what it looks like on the Model 3 if you've already received 2018.39.5?

No video feeds. They just mean that Autopilot's neural nets are now considering images from all 8 cameras. Before, only 2 of the front cameras were used for driving, and the front wide angle (fisheye) camera was used for rain sensing / headlights.

This allows the car display diagram to show cars beside and behind you.

This is NOT the birds-eye parking surround view that some other cars have.

Reactions: Kermee
No video feeds. They just mean that Autopilot's neural nets are now considering images from all 8 cameras. Before, only 2 of the front cameras were used for driving, and the front wide angle (fisheye) camera was used for rain sensing / headlights.

This allows the car display diagram to show cars beside and behind you.

This is NOT the birds-eye parking surround view that some other cars have.

Ah! That makes MUCH more sense! Now I feel stupid...

Thanks!

Thanks!

Yeah it's still exciting, but for a different reason. Autopilot being able to use all 8 cameras is already said to be improving the smoothness and curve following.

Note that Tesla with their current hardware will probably never be able to give you a parking view that you want. Here's a stitched image of what all 5 forward facing cameras see, thanks to some awesome hackers from this forum: Here’s what Tesla’s Autopilot 2.0 can see with its 8 cameras

Note that none of the angles provide good view of the lane lines immediately below your car. which is what a human wants for parking...

Yeah it's still exciting, but for a different reason. Autopilot being able to use all 8 cameras is already said to be improving the smoothness and curve following.

Note that Tesla with their current hardware will probably never be able to give you a parking view that you want. Here's a stitched image of what all 5 forward facing cameras see, thanks to some awesome hackers from this forum: Here’s what Tesla’s Autopilot 2.0 can see with its 8 cameras

Note that none of the angles provide good view of the lane lines immediately below your car. which is what a human wants for parking...

Ah, yes. I remember when I was having "Auto Park" doing perpendicular spots, it always lined up almost equidistant between the actual two vehicles instead of the actual lines. It was pretty funny because in some instances, one car would literally be over the line and another car would be far away from the line and the Model 3 would just park neatly inbetween them and opposite of the guy who was over the parking line, I was over the other parking line.

You're definitely right about being exciting though now that you've pointed it out that the vehicle itself has virtually a "Full 360° View" being able to use all of the AP 2.x hardware (cameras, sensors, etc.) compositing all the information together. Most impressive...

Ah, yes. I remember when I was having "Auto Park" doing perpendicular spots, it always lined up almost equidistant between the actual two vehicles instead of the actual lines. It was pretty funny because in some instances, one car would literally be over the line and another car would be far away from the line and the Model 3 would just park neatly inbetween them and opposite of the guy who was over the parking line, I was over the other parking line.

You're definitely right about being exciting though now that you've pointed it out that the vehicle itself has virtually a "Full 360° View" being able to use all of the AP 2.x hardware (cameras, sensors, etc.) compositing all the information together. Most impressive...

I would also add: Currently, AutoPark does not use cameras at all(*), as you've probably figured out. It's just measuring distance using parking sensors.

But with that said, I do think it's possible to train an AI to use the 8 cameras Teslas does have, combined with precise control of steering/acceleration, to park using lane lines.

Just in terms of being a human, it's probably easier for you to just train yourself to park with mirrors and such than to learn how to interpret 8 really odd camera angles :D

(*) Actually that's a lie: In 2018.3x, they did enhance Autopark at least on AP2 to use cameras when pulling forward because it missed the first approach. It uses the forward cameras to stop before getting too close to another car (and also watch for cars/pedestrians ahead). You can see white cars depicted when AutoPark pulls forward.

• Informative
Reactions: Kermee

That actually doesn't really look stitched. Just looks like they roughly laid them out over top of each other. I'm guessing when you add in the other 3 cameras, and use an actual stitching algorithm that they could get a decent 360 view around the car. Does anyone have pictures of what the side rear facing cameras see? Those are much closer to the ground so maybe some of the lines can be seen in them?

If people want this feature I'd recommend filing a "bug" through their car.

Hit the voice control button and say something like "bug report no surround 360 view" or "bug report can not see side cameras when backing up"

I figure the more people request this feature through various channels, the higher priority it gets.

Thanks!
Their wording is what's stupid.

They should have used 360 degree visualization at the top, and not Full 360 degree view.

I do hope they allow for a live video feed of a selected camera. So you can simply select which camera feed you want, and it shows you what it sees like it does for the backup camera. Sure it's not as great as a 360 degree view, but at least it's something.

Really ? That's a bummer.. I was excited about the 360 when I read the V9 blog. If there is one feature that I miss a lot from my Volvo XC90 is the 360/Birdseye view of the car. It's amazing. Made parking in tight spaces a breeze.
Volvo was able to do it with 4 cameras... Why can't Tesla do it with the 8 onboard the vehicle??

Really ? That's a bummer.. I was excited about the 360 when I read the V9 blog. If there is one feature that I miss a lot from my Volvo XC90 is the 360/Birdseye view of the car. It's amazing. Made parking in tight spaces a breeze.
Volvo was able to do it with 4 cameras... Why can't Tesla do it with the 8 onboard the vehicle??

Because they're not aimed at the ground