Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full charge 99%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine will sometimes stop at 98 or 99%, if I let it sit for an hour or so and then start charging again it will usually charge for a short while and then jump to 100%. When it jumps, both the percentage and the rated range will suddenly pop up to the correct values. I'm thinking it takes some settling and recalculation time.

My last range charge stopped at 98% (265RM) and after letting it sit for 45 minutes and then restarting charging it popped to 100% (270RM) after a few minutes.

What is most likely happening is one of the packs reached full charge first and thus stops the entire charge process. Don't worry over the next drive cycle the pack will turn on its internal resistors to balance back out with the others. What could have also happened is you did reach 100%, but then just over time it will vampire drain and reach 99% and that's just what you see hours later.

There's a TSB that I just became aware of that says some HV battery packs may not have been assembled correctly. It can manifest itself by a reduction in vehicle driving range. I read that as not charging to the 311 miles everybody says it should. My car was built during this timeframe and I've never seen more than 306 miles on a full charge (at about 70-75F). I might bring this up the next time I'm at the service center but it's not a high priority thing for me at the moment. Really the 1-2% difference in range is much less than the losses seen at cold temperatures or having to run the A/C or heater for long stretches.

No Model 3 fires to date

Taking a road trip and set it to charge full. It turned off at 99%. 308 miles. Is this normal that it doesn’t go to 100%. It’s the first time I’ve set it to charge to full.

Seems it's normal. My Model-3 charges at a steady rate up to 95%, after which it literally 'crawls' to 99% and then seems to stop for eternity, that's when I just stop charging. I only fully charge when going for long trips, else it's always charged around 85% tops.

There's a TSB that I just became aware of that says some HV battery packs may not have been assembled correctly. It can manifest itself by a reduction in vehicle driving range. I read that as not charging to the 311 miles everybody says it should. My car was built during this timeframe and I've never seen more than 306 miles on a full charge (at about 70-75F). I might bring this up the next time I'm at the service center but it's not a high priority thing for me at the moment. Really the 1-2% difference in range is much less than the losses seen at cold temperatures or having to run the A/C or heater for long stretches.

No Model 3 fires to date
Do you know what the TSB is? Is there an identifying number for it? My first 100% charge was only 300 miles.

Taking a road trip and set it to charge full. It turned off at 99%. 308 miles. Is this normal that it doesn’t go to 100%. It’s the first time I’ve set it to charge to full.
Entirely normal when you try take it to 100% and it hasn't been near there for a while. Or ever. As someone else here mentioned, it has to do with the battery not being entirely "balanced". Which means the charge level is not even across all modules/cells in the battery. Taking the battery charge to 93% triggers the BMS to begin balancing the pack, and it will take a day or two to complete.

The specific number 93% is confirmed for the Model S and just suspected for the Model 3. It seems to be the number though. So just take your battery up to 95% a day + before your trip. As a bonus it will charge much faster in the upper 90's when the battery is balanced, otherwise it can take an extremely long time near the top.

Even with a recent balancing your battery won't hit 100% every time. But it'll do it more times than not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaywlker
Has anyone actually had their car diagnosed and battery replaced from the TSB listed? I have an appointment and will inquire about it in a couple weeks.

As of now, my car hit 310 miles at 100% when it was new in November 2018. Then a software update last year changed that to 325 miles max, then in August it maxed out at 307 miles, and now it maxed out at 295 miles in December on my roadtrip and that was at 17500 miles.

Going from 325 to 295 miles over the course of the year is worth having it looked at at a mimimum and kinda annoying. I don't know if cold weather has an effect on that either, but it was not very cold when I charged to 100%. Mine is from a July 2018 build so it may be in the guidelines on that, but have not heard of anyone getting that replaced. I would be fine on delaying it if they somehow upgrade the batteries over the next year or 2 also if that was the case. No rush, but curious how many batteries have been replaced on this TSB and if anyone here has had that done.

TSB SB-18-16-010

Going from 325 to 295 miles over the course of the year is worth having it looked at at a mimimum and kinda annoying

10% degradation is not unusual for Model 3. You are probably in the 5th-10th percentile or so. Not unusual at all after 18 months and 10-20k miles. It is what people should expect (and presumably it will slow dramatically from here but we will see).

Just unlucky. From what I know from this TSB they contact you, but who knows.

If you do find they want to replace your battery, do report back.

There have been some good suggestions by others regarding battery SOC distance.

Overall, every car will have a different degradation based on the model, how it’s used, mileage, weather conditions it’s in, how often you charge, how you charge, what state of charge you keep it at, etc.
Just like a gasoline engine, there are many ways to shorten its life quickly, and many ways to help it last hundreds of thousands of miles, and everything in between.
This is similar to our batteries.
They DO degrade, how quickly, and how much is based on how you treat it.
(Tesla also adjusts the battery management system from time to time, which also appears as degradation, but is meant to protect the batteries life).

Suggestions:

1. Use percentage instead of distance, and only check range from time to time. The reality is, 5 to 10 miles is likely not a big deal for most of us. The few that need every mile on a regular basis, can have more impact on range with better driving habits, a warmed battery at start etc. Use percentage, and don’t stress about it. You likely didn’t check every mile you drove on you gas car... Most gas gauges show quarters as measuring it. Many have miles also, but how often did you track when your mileage dropped by 5 miles per tank...

I was a mileage checker myself, (mostly because I liked checking on it). I’ve since moved to percentage, and life is better. :)

2. Keep your state of charge below 90% if possible. I know 90% is fine, but lower is better if you can manage it.

3. If charging to 100%, drive immediately, don’t let it sit at 100%

4. Try not to go below 20%. Again, lower is fine, above 20% is better.

How often you abuse the battery will determine how quickly it degrades, and by how much.
Tesla likely has visibility of how you treat your battery.

There have been many owners that don’t care much for their battery, and it’s still just fine, with normal degradation.
This is due to the battery management system on this car being so great.

I think most of the concerns I read here, stem from folks being too focused on keeping the car and battery perfect. (Me being one of those folks).
The more degradation that goes up and down, (based on software changes they have been making to the BMS), the more stressed we become.

Trying to let go of the strict focus on every mile lost is good advice. Easier said than done to tech guru’s that like checking and keeping things perfect though. :)

Reactions: KenC