Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability was purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3’s is water cooled, the S and X is air cooled. So to clarify, the 3’s will take a while.

Thanks for the info.

Very interesting as I thought S, X, 3 should have the same computer for ease of swapping but as you clarified, Model 3 is different.

The tear down from IHS Technology does confirm what you clarified that for Model 3, it's liquid cooling:

binary

@Tam I’m happy to flame Tesla for their horrible service/etc when warranted, but at least when it comes to fulfilling parts for the airbag recall, the delays actually weren’t the fault of Tesla. As for HW3 upgrades though, that’ll alllll be on Tesla.

I wouldn’t expect to hear anything before at least Q4, and I definitely don’t expect the fleet to be fully upgraded Until Q1 of 2021 at earliest.

All things considered though, I really do hope that the upgrades go by purchase date - especially for all of the S/X owners that jumped on the FSD bandwagon all way back in 2016.

You will get notified.

As we all wait.

Remember, if they do it in order, there are a lot of cars in front of you.
This will not happen. I work in enterprise software and know that Tesla is using a lot of crap on the backend, both internal and for customer service. As a top 5 most innovative companies in the world according to Forbes June 2018, I’m amazed at how they support their infrastructure and ‘keep the lights on’. I believe this is a reason their cost of .....(put anything here) is some damn high.

This will not happen. I work in enterprise software and know that Tesla is using a lot of crap on the backend, both internal and for customer service. As a top 5 most innovative companies in the world according to Forbes June 2018, I’m amazed at how they support their infrastructure and ‘keep the lights on’. I believe this is a reason their cost of .....(put anything here) is some damn high.

Wow, a real person that works in enterprise software, I believe that we must all take credence in what you say, because you must be the only person in enterprise software that has ever bought a Tesla. And evidently you have deep insight to the details of their infrastructure, because as an "insider person in enterprise software" you have deep knowledge of what they are doing.
We thank you for your in-depth knowledge and assessment of the situation.

Having met [one of?] their prior CIOs, Tesla is infamous for a "build our own" strategy when it comes to their internal systems. They even built their own accounting system, a pretty commonly available application in the marketplace.

In regards to getting a HW3 replacement for FSD, don't hold your breath. That will only happen when FSD features require HW3 and aren't possible on HW2.5 hardware. No one knows when that will be the case, perhaps not even Tesla. If HW2.5 can run the FSD software then Tesla isn't going to upgrade a car to HW3. Now, in an infinite time horizon (thank you, John Siracusa) then you're going to get a hardware upgrade. When? Some day.

Reactions: Midway99
Having met [one of?] their prior CIOs, Tesla is infamous for a "build our own" strategy when it comes to their internal systems. They even built their own accounting system, a pretty commonly available application in the marketplace.

In regards to getting a HW3 replacement for FSD, don't hold your breath. That will only happen when FSD features require HW3 and aren't possible on HW2.5 hardware. No one knows when that will be the case, perhaps not even Tesla. If HW2.5 can run the FSD software then Tesla isn't going to upgrade a car to HW3. Now, in an infinite time horizon (thank you, John Siracusa) then you're going to get a hardware upgrade. When? Some day.

Later this year is when FSD will require HW3, and when the upgrades will begin for 2.x cars- as repeatedly stated by the company.