Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Tax Credit Pointless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm definitely all for the government giving EV manufacturers some help to compete, but if that's the case, why didn't they just pay the incentive direct to the company for every car sold instead of giving it to the consumer? It gave a false sense of benefit to the consumer.
When that happens, the price is raised by the amount of the benefit and then shown as taken off on the invoice, no benefit to the purchaser at all. (Some companies may not work it this way, but I believe them to be few.)

I'm definitely all for the government giving EV manufacturers some help to compete, but if that's the case, why didn't they just pay the incentive direct to the company for every car sold instead of giving it to the consumer? It gave a false sense of benefit to the consumer.
It's just the gov't's way of not having to pay the full $7500. Every single person who bought it last year in the US probably did not qualify for the full $7500.

Reactions: rickjames
It's just the gov't's way of not having to pay the full $7500. Every single person who bought it last year in the US probably did not qualify for the full $7500.
FWIW, I've purchased four cars over the years that qualified for the tax credit, and I received the full amount each time. (Of course, I'm not rich enough to have zero income tax.)

I totally feel you. My same car depreciated ~10% in 3 months. I took deliver mid Nov 2018 and paid 61k. The exact same car only cost 55k now. Even factoring in tax incentive and everything, I will still save ~$2k if I order it now. I would have definitely waited if I know that's gonna happen.

This isn't to complaint about the price reductions, other than to ask, does anyone else feel like they basically render the tax credits pointless? By Tesla adjusting the prices to reflect the dwindling tax credits, it feels to me like they are the ones getting the most benefit from the tax credit, not the purchaser. I feel like it almost negates any benefit the tax credit provides, because the car is going to be the same price for everyone, regardless of when they purchase, regardless of tax credit.

One of the reasons we took the plunge and ordered our M3 back in September was to ensure we got the full tax credit before the end of the year. I love our car, but if I knew that I could get the car for the same price or cheaper (after tax credit) regardless of when I purchased it, we may not have been so quick to sign on the dotted line. I'm sure this was the point and I'm ok with price reductions, but it would have been nice if they made the prices just so the 2018 purchasers felt like they had a teeny bit of advantage to falling into the higher tax credit bracket. Is it just me that sees it this way? I'd be open to hearing points of view that help me see it from a different perspective (without being snarky).
Without them Tesla wouldn’t be in business today and you wouldn’t have the car you have.

This isn't to complaint about the price reductions, other than to ask, does anyone else feel like they basically render the tax credits pointless? By Tesla adjusting the prices to reflect the dwindling tax credits, it feels to me like they are the ones getting the most benefit from the tax credit, not the purchaser. I feel like it almost negates any benefit the tax credit provides, because the car is going to be the same price for everyone, regardless of when they purchase, regardless of tax credit.

One of the reasons we took the plunge and ordered our M3 back in September was to ensure we got the full tax credit before the end of the year. I love our car, but if I knew that I could get the car for the same price or cheaper (after tax credit) regardless of when I purchased it, we may not have been so quick to sign on the dotted line. I'm sure this was the point and I'm ok with price reductions, but it would have been nice if they made the prices just so the 2018 purchasers felt like they had a teeny bit of advantage to falling into the higher tax credit bracket. Is it just me that sees it this way? I'd be open to hearing points of view that help me see it from a different perspective (without being snarky).

You realize that was literally the point of the tax credit? To fund development of EVs i.e. give more money to Tesla and others. The purpose of the tax credit isn't to give well to do folks a discount on their cars.

If they give it direct to Tesla, they pick the winners. By giving it to you, you pick the winner.

Do you really want those 535 clowns on the hill picking the winners?

• Informative
Reactions: Subhuman

It was really obvious that Tesla would drop the price of the Model 3 to compensate for the federal credit. Not sure why you expected something else.

Economics. The market will bear the costs. I saw the same thing with the Prius, prices went down when tax credits went away. I saw the same thing with solar, as the rebates reduced, so did prices so net cost was the same. This is what subsidies are suppose to do, make the high priced thing affordable, not make it cheap.

Wasn't this the whole point of the EV tax credit? To give manufacturers the chance to get EV technology a kick start so that it might get them to the level of parity of existing technologies? It wasn't really about giving consumers cheaper cars.

It _became_ about giving consumers cheaper cars when Tesla heavily marketed their higher-than-expected priced cars to potential customers as affordable under the tax credit, hyping the cost savings throughout their website and configurator to justify purchases they badly needed, for cars they admitted were priced higher than competitors, only to pull the rug out in 2019. Its become clear the plan all along was harvest the tax credit to themselves, unless they make right by the owners by offering them a consolation.

I remember they were hyping people get into the tax savings in Dec 2018. They didnt lower the price to get sales - they spoke about the final days of the tax savings.

Now the plan was clearly to take that profit and drop the prices for the next batch of consumers, devaluing the consumers' cars in the process.

Someone said it well - they effectively transferred the tax benefits from consumers to themselves. Gotta love capitalists.

It _became_ about giving consumers cheaper cars when Tesla heavily marketed their higher-than-expected priced cars to potential customers as affordable under the tax credit, hyping the cost savings throughout their website and configurator to justify purchases they badly needed, for cars they admitted were priced higher than competitors, only to pull the rug out in 2019. Its become clear the plan all along was harvest the tax credit to themselves, unless they make right by the owners by offering them a consolation.

I remember they were hyping people get into the tax savings in Dec 2018. They didnt lower the price to get sales - they spoke about the final days of the tax savings.

Now the plan was clearly to take that profit and drop the prices for the next batch of consumers, devaluing the consumers' cars in the process.

Someone said it well - they effectively transferred the tax benefits from consumers to themselves. Gotta love capitalists.
But you act as if they are a bunch of fat cats rolling in profits. Even with those rebates, they were barely profitable and they won’t be this quarter.

These rebates were needed in order for them to be in business. As much as people may hate these pricing changes...I can promise you will hate an out of business Tesla much more.

We really should be rooting for them to make it through this.

Reactions: mhan00 and ord3r
It was really obvious that Tesla would drop the price of the Model 3 to compensate for the federal credit. Not sure why you expected something else.

It was not really obvious because they used it as a marketing ploy. Order now before the tax credits expire!

However, I do wish the tax credit had stayed for everyone. Tesla had to get rid of the referral program and fire all their sales staff to reduce the price of the cars.

But you act as if they are a bunch of fat cats rolling in profits. Even with those rebates, they were barely profitable and they won’t be this quarter.

These rebates were needed in order for them to be in business. As much as people may hate these pricing changes...I can promise you will hate an out of business Tesla much more.

We really should be rooting for them to make it through this.

Tesla can raise capital at any time. They have plenty of funds and billionaires looking to take a stake in the company. At one point last year, the Saudi's were in talks with Tesla to acquire shares for a cash infusion. Musk rebuffed them and the Saudi's used their 5 billion to buy Tesla stock in the open market.

Don't act like Tesla needed the funds to survive. They had options.

Tesla can raise capital at any time. They have plenty of funds and billionaires looking to take a stake in the company. At one point last year, the Saudi's were in talks with Tesla to acquire shares for a cash infusion. Musk rebuffed them and the Saudi's used their 5 billion to buy Tesla stock in the open market.

Don't act like Tesla needed the funds to survive. They had options.
I see. So your argument is that they should raise funds and take a loss, so that you can then pay what you now believe was a fair price.

That’s great logic.

I'm not a happy Tesla customer. The reason I bought the car early was to take advantage of the credits. Looks like Tesla took advantage of all early adopters. I wish Tesla would do something for all of us. To think I've spent so much time fixing fit and finish issues to get to this point. Can't help but think I should lemon my car.
I don’t think Tesla needs to do anything for you. Sell the car if you don’t like it.