Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD creaking sound & mind games

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is only a few days old, and I noticed that the left FWD started to make a short (1–2 second) creaking sound every single time it would be opened. The sound would occur when the door would be at the last phase of opening. Also as a sidenote, I don't know if the fact that I played the modelXmas Easter egg about 15 times had anything to do with this :D

So anyway, this morning I go to videotape the door making the sound so I could send it to my service center, and lo and behold, the thing stopped making the sound! I opened and closed the door at least a few times- no sound.

Not that I'm complaining, but what gives?!

Alignment question for you all ----

I took delivery on 12/31/16 --- I didn't have any issues with my FWDs. Recently there is a slight creak from the driver's side every now and then (seems to come from the back hinge). What I do notice is the driver's side when closing doesn't seem to close 'flush'. It seems to close down, and then slide ever so softly off the chrome trim down into place and then latch. The passenger side seems to close straight down without ever touching the chrome piece at all. Anyone else see this? I know I have viewed a few folks where their trim was eventually bent but I don't have that amount of rub. Wondering if calibration or re-alignment is necessary.

My passenger side (left side, as mine is RWD) FWD is making some creaking noise as well at the end of fully open position.
It seems the plastic part is rubbing the metal hinge and the paint on the aluminum hinge is peeling off. My SvC ordered the shock part (supporting arm) and the aluminum hinge plate and will fix it once the parts become available.

This isn't critical, right? The creaking sound is not getting bigger so I kind of feel safe.

I had a slight creak, the service center took care of it quickly. I think they are trying to keep open "fast-track" service slots for small issues like this, so you don't have to wait weeks for an appointment. Especially for new cars.

Welp, my left FWD is making trouble again. It began making a hard knocking/snapping sound on closing. When I got out of my car to observe and video it happening, it seemed to me that the posterior part of the door, in the area where the door folds, was snapping against the car body. Then I noticed a small, 3-4 cm gash in the black insulation/tubing.

I sent a video in to Tesla on Monday. It's Friday, and I have yet to hear back from Tesla.

My one-week old Model X is making creaking sound in the last phase of FWD opening as well. We are waiting for all the small issues to manifest themselves before setting up an appointment with the service center.

Good idea- that's what I had done as well- fortunately, no 'major' issues have surfaced.

You said your ride is a week old- did you have it built, or is it a used/inventory car?

They "fixed" mine again while I waited at a SC. The creak is gone, and hopefully it stays away. But, well, I might have some trust issues...

Curious if this stayed resolved? Mine doing same - very clearly the amount of space around/between the plastic trim on my left FWD, where it meets the rear part of the hinge does not match the front or entire right FWD. it rubs and creates a white residue.

Curious if this stayed resolved? Mine doing same - very clearly the amount of space around/between the plastic trim on my left FWD, where it meets the rear part of the hinge does not match the front or entire right FWD. it rubs and creates a white residue.

After a couple of stays at the service center, so far my beauty has been creak free for about two weeks.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I had the creaking too, they lubricated it and no more creak. I also have the issue with the hard plastic trim rubbing against the paint in the door-frame. I think all X's must have this issue - the fit of the plastic trim is faulty. They tried to fix it by adjusting the door tension but it has not worked and now it rubs in additional spot so I will be taking it back in, again. Frankly, if this were a a cheaper car I would just use a Dremel and sand down the plastic trim, but I think Tesla should come up with an official remedy. It will likely require a redesign and replacement of the plastic trim!!!!