Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD fail to open!!! this can't happen again!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gimmick doors that will fail. I would never buy an X.

Last night my wife and I were driving in our P85D and a Model X pulled up alongside us. My wife looked at it and asked me "are those much more expensive than the Model S?" My response was "they are roughly the same price for similar specs, but they have those stupid rear doors." She didn't realize that the doors, which she hates, were not optional.

My wife asked me if the X could be ordered with regular doors. I told her no. She said "forget it then."

I'm sure there are some people who like the gimmick wing doors, but I also am sure that there are a lot of people like us who would never buy a car simply because we don't want the likely headaches associated with those doors.

And then I reminded my wife that the replacement for our P85D will be an F350 diesel with Montana plates...

Last night my wife and I were driving in our P85D and a Model X pulled up alongside us. My wife looked at it and asked me "are those much more expensive than the Model S?" My response was "they are roughly the same price for similar specs, but they have those stupid rear doors." She didn't realize that the doors, which she hates, were not optional.

My wife asked me if the X could be ordered with regular doors. I told her no. She said "forget it then."

I'm sure there are some people who like the gimmick wing doors, but I also am sure that there are a lot of people like us who would never buy a car simply because we don't want the likely headaches associated with those doors.

And then I reminded my wife that the replacement for our P85D will be an F350 diesel with Montana plates...

My Model X doors haven't failed even once since I got the car in May.

so without reading all the post and just responding to the OP's subject line..

save some money by cutting stuff that can be retrofitted or added after the fact .. it will cost more but you can save up for it.. also do you really need leather seats?

@Khanhvngo Have you called Tesla Roadside? Have they gone through the reset processes?

My Sig X, and my other Xes have never had doors that failed to open. Rarely had issues with door latches, or sensor interruptions, but never a door opening failure.

I've owned 5 P85s, an S P85D, 2 X 90Ds, and a P90D Sig X. We've had our fair share of issues, but I love my Teslas and would recommend them to everyone.

Hi everyone.

Update:

Saturday Night around 7-9 pm I contact both Tesla support and Road side assistance and fail. They had me reset, reboot, about 3-6 time total and fail.

They also had me manually remove the speaker grill and then pull the manual pull cord and fail.! Both tech and roadside were able to see what happening on their side but can't open the door.

The scary part in my opinion is that it can't be open manually when it fails! that is a big safety no no!

* Sunday we drove around with the peeping of the warning " falcon wing door open" but it wasn't. We drove it around because I was hoping that by using the X going over bumps and driving it might just resolve it self.

*around 10 am the warning had stop beeping and the car now show that the door is close. I was tempted to open and and see if the door works or remain stuck! We waited till we got home around 8pm just in case the door open but does not close!

* 1st attempt to open the door and it work, like it always does! so now we are confuse as ***F

it's 8:48 am now in Maine and so far no SC have contacted us yet on fallow up or anything. That's kinda lame when they open at 7AM!

I'll keep giving update as things move along!

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit and McRat

My guess is more people have bought the X due to the doors than have not solely due to the doors. Imho

Reactions: xkwizit
My guess is more people have bought the X due to the doors than have not solely due to the doors. Imho

I know I am one of them. I don't have my car yet, so surely it might change my mind on this, but I think the doors are fantastic. And I think if Tesla sticks with them and can remedy the issues, get better sensing and articulation in them, they will be truly great. Might take a while though. But like any new fangled thing, it's going to be a bit spotty at first, but should be sorted eventually. In the meantime, it does suck to have situations like this where the door completely fails. That's pretty bad. Good to hear from others though that they've had zero issues.

Snow and ice build up will cause the FWD not to open - in this case the dash alerts and there is a warning that there is something in the path of the door. This happened to us the other day after the snow in the upper Midwest - noticed you were from the northeast. In our case, the sensors seem to see the snow / ice build up on the doors and then say that there is interference with the doors. There is no way to open them unless you wait for the snow to melt or clean it off (at least that I could figure out). Did you have snow on the doors and did the dash indicate interference when you attempted to open? There should certainly be some sort of safety over-ride for this for the FWD - anyone know how to do that?

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
The only issue that remains outstanding in my opinion is the loud cooling fan when temps are 80 and over. Per the foreman its per design and I am not accepting that resolution.
Did they check for the "crossed lines"? Mine is not too bad. I thought it was loud but then heard other MS that were the same. And once I heard a newer Model X and had to leave the area. It was like being at the takeoff end of a jet runway.:eek:

Did they check for the "crossed lines"? Mine is not too bad. I thought it was loud but then heard other MS that were the same. And once I heard a newer Model X and had to leave the area. It was like being at the takeoff end of a jet runway.:eek:
Yeah mine is like that a jet ready to take off. And the Rocklin SC foreman did confirm they checked for crossed lines but who knows and I don't have the time to go to another SC for a second opinion. I am probably going to sell this one off in couple of years once AP2.0 is stabilized.

Khanh, I'm very sorry to hear of your trouble! As I recall, you had a very bad experience with Tesla customer service & sales personnel when you were in the process of buying the X, you seriously thought about not going through with it, yet you did. I'm not a fan of the X, but am considering an S. Just wondering what your thoughts are about Tesla as a company and about the X, before this FWD incident.
Thanks,

Khanh, I'm very sorry to hear of your trouble! As I recall, you had a very bad experience with Tesla customer service & sales personnel when you were in the process of buying the X, you seriously thought about not going through with it, yet you did. I'm not a fan of the X, but am considering an S. Just wondering what your thoughts are about Tesla as a company and about the X, before this FWD incident.
Thanks,

I'm glad someone knows what a journey we have been through.

Right I have two opinion: the good and the bad!

Good:

Model X have been an amazing car/suv I mean that in every possible way! Very much functional with the doors, fantastic to drive, I'm smile ear to ear when ever I drive it. I marvel at other drivers when they are next to the future and they don't have a clue what this car is or take notice until the FWD! The vision of the future is here and I agreed and loved the car!

The BAD:

Tesla as a company rank pretty poorly on my list of respected and honorable. Comunication from top to bottom is poorly to say the least. The whole process from sale to service need much improvement and accounablilty. A product does not get deliver to the customer until it's ready. Service for issue should not take 3 weeks waiting during delivery!

I fear that as the model 3 hit the road tesla won't be able to keep service and quality a top priority!

That being said, given the chance I would do it again!!!!

Last edited:
Snow and ice build up will cause the FWD not to open - in this case the dash alerts and there is a warning that there is something in the path of the door. This happened to us the other day after the snow in the upper Midwest - noticed you were from the northeast. In our case, the sensors seem to see the snow / ice build up on the doors and then say that there is interference with the doors. There is no way to open them unless you wait for the snow to melt or clean it off (at least that I could figure out). Did you have snow on the doors and did the dash indicate interference when you attempted to open? There should certainly be some sort of safety over-ride for this for the FWD - anyone know how to do that?

Had this happen to me over the weekend. A little bit of snow was on the roof and the sensor was sensing obstacles. Pressing on the door handles produced no reaction on either side for several attempts. When I tried from the screen, I saw the obstacle warning, but one of the doors did open a tiny bit, so I just forced it all the way up manually. Once everyone was inside the car, I closed the door from the screen and it closed without issues. Had no door problems since.