Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD hits roof after 2024.14.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not when there's actual damage (broken windows, scratches on the paint, etc)....
Then you dont do a class action lawsuit. No attorney would take up the case since the pool of people are so small, meaning theres very little money to be made. Also You would not benefit from it financially even if Tesla was successfully sued. You sue someone directly, which again would not be worth it. Attorneys charge hundreds of dollars per hour and repairs cost what, a few grand? Sorry bud, you are SOL unless Tesla agrees to the repair or you file a claim with insurance. My garage is high enough I don't worry, but if it wasnt I would add protection where impacts can be made. Ive learned from owning teslas for four years. Dont trust their technology.

Long time lurker, first time post!

Not sure if this will help other people, take this with a grain of salt. I only have a testing number of two. I have a 2018 and a 2024 model X. Both are updated to 14.9.

The 2018 model does not have the door problem, I have not seen the sensors vanish yet. But the 2024 model vanished within a week. I tried running background diagnostics on it, it looks like the sensors are being flipped. FYI the 2018 model does not have the interior sensor.

I was able to get the external sensor back online by triggering the internal sensor. To do so, open the doors all the way, stand underneath the door, press the b pillar door button to close it, and it will sound that there is an obstacle internally and not close.

Once you do that, close both doors and go back into the car; you should see the sensors for the external come back online and start proximity sensing again. I was able to test it for a few days and so far it’s stable. I sent the results to Tesla, but haven’t heard back. I suspect the software may be ignoring the external sensors and using the internal sensors for obstruction. It looks like the sensor goes to sleep and does not re-register.

Wondering if anyone else can test this and see if it works.

Good luck

Long time lurker, first time post!

Not sure if this will help other people, take this with a grain of salt. I only have a testing number of two. I have a 2018 and a 2024 model X. Both are updated to 14.9.

The 2018 model does not have the door problem, I have not seen the sensors vanish yet. But the 2024 model vanished within a week. I tried running background diagnostics on it, it looks like the sensors are being flipped. FYI the 2018 model does not have the interior sensor.

I was able to get the external sensor back online by triggering the internal sensor. To do so, open the doors all the way, stand underneath the door, press the b pillar door button to close it, and it will sound that there is an obstacle internally and not close.

Once you do that, close both doors and go back into the car; you should see the sensors for the external come back online and start proximity sensing again. I was able to test it for a few days and so far it’s stable. I sent the results to Tesla, but haven’t heard back. I suspect the software may be ignoring the external sensors and using the internal sensors for obstruction. It looks like the sensor goes to sleep and does not re-register.

Wondering if anyone else can test this and see if it works.

Good luck
Thanks but it did not work for me. Smacked me on my head and back each door as the inner sensor does not work. The door does stop when I fight back but the attempts did not wake up the other sensors... Very frustrating...

For reference, it's 2024 MX LR and on 2024.14.9 (FSD v12.3.6)

• Informative
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Thanks but it did not work for me. Smacked me on my head and back each door as the inner sensor does not work. The door does stop when I fight back but the attempts did not wake up the other sensors... Very frustrating...

For reference, it's 2024 MX LR and on 2024.14.9 (FSD v12.3.6)
I wonder if this is due to a mismatch of the ECU firmware. In the service menu, under the infotainment; are you able to check the status of the ECU firmware updates? According to the logs, there should have been 3 updates; two for the falcon wing doors, one for the roof sensor. I’m trying to decipher whether there is also one additional ECU that controls all three; but haven’t been able to figure out which one yet.

Just as a data point, it’s been about one week and my sensors still function normally. I wonder if there’s a batch of people who have a different hardware configuration and that’s why the ECU is not updating correctly. I had that happen on two firmware prior update and Tesla required a hardwire connection to update it manually.

I wonder if this is due to a mismatch of the ECU firmware. In the service menu, under the infotainment; are you able to check the status of the ECU firmware updates? According to the logs, there should have been 3 updates; two for the falcon wing doors, one for the roof sensor. I’m trying to decipher whether there is also one additional ECU that controls all three; but haven’t been able to figure out which one yet.

Just as a data point, it’s been about one week and my sensors still function normally. I wonder if there’s a batch of people who have a different hardware configuration and that’s why the ECU is not updating correctly. I had that happen on two firmware prior update and Tesla required a hardwire connection to update it manually.

If that's the case, I wonder if a reinstall of the FW might fix this?

If that's the case, I wonder if a reinstall of the FW might fix this?
Honestly it might. For my previous issue, the radio wouldn’t work; after a reboot, it would freeze the MCU. The firmware install was “successful”, but when I had them further investigate; they found that the ECU controlling the radio was corrupted and had a version mismtach. Only way to update it was a force full package update via hardwired at the service center.

I had a colleague who used to work at Tesla and help me with these issues; but sadly he and his team was let go during the recent shuffle, so I’m back to tinkering on my own.

Honestly it might. For my previous issue, the radio wouldn’t work; after a reboot, it would freeze the MCU. The firmware install was “successful”, but when I had them further investigate; they found that the ECU controlling the radio was corrupted and had a version mismtach. Only way to update it was a force full package update via hardwired at the service center.

I had a colleague who used to work at Tesla and help me with these issues; but sadly he and his team was let go during the recent shuffle, so I’m back to tinkering on my own.

We had s/w deployments at work that said "successful", but when you'd look at the logs, occasionally they'd fail to deploy to one of our three servers. Apples to oranges, but a reinstall is worth a try.

For me, the ECUs listed in Service-Doors-falcon doors are:

RH Door Controller BCRPM (right door)
LH Falcon Door Controller BCFALCD (ceilling controller)
LH Door Controller BCRDM (left door)

They are all shown part of "succeeded ECUs-43" in the ECU update status

As of now, all 3 sensors (ceiling, outer and inner) of each doors do not work. Lucky I do able to get an appointment this Thursday for them to take a look. Hopefully, they will be able to do something.

Reactions: towndrunk
Here’s another data point

Both doors failed again after working fine for 12 days. In the service menu I was able to capture that it’s the inward sensor that is throwing the error on both sides; indicating that they are MIA and to check the wiring harness. Now both doors won’t register the interior obstruction as prior. Can anyone check their service menus and see? You won’t see the error unless you have the doors closed, then open them and the inward sensor will throw a fault.

Attachments

• IMG_7208.jpeg
    IMG_7208.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 13
I've been parking my X in the same spot since I got it two years ago.

I always park it at exactly the same position within that spot, as well (I can tell based on the rear tire never being more than a finger-width from the line on that side).

what a weird coincidence that the FWD opened up right into the fence next to my spot last week, the same week I installed this update... hitting it for the first time ever!

tesla needs to own their mistake and pay for the damage for you guys who had your windows cracked due to this bug.

I've been parking my X in the same spot since I got it two years ago.

I always park it at exactly the same position within that spot, as well (I can tell based on the rear tire never being more than a finger-width from the line on that side).

what a weird coincidence that the FWD opened up right into the fence next to my spot last week, the same week I installed this update... hitting it for the first time ever!

tesla needs to own their mistake and pay for the damage for you guys who had your windows cracked due to this bug.
Nearly the exact experience as you. Two years, same parking spot, last week door opens into ceiling and scratches door. Least not glass breakage like some others.

I'm on 2024.20.1 and will be installing pool noodles tonight. Following thread.....

Reactions: John Coctason