Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI: article on the Y’s suspension upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C310501E-E42C-4B63-B324-CEF46C4193C3.png

I traded a 2020 LR AWD for a 2022 PMY that arrived with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires. Our Delivery Center was 160 miles from home so we had a pretty good opportunity to get a feel for the car and I was expecting to dislike the PMY ride quality. Boy was I surprised, it was much nicer than the LR AWD we just traded in, in fact, I was able to stay in the right-hand lane (aka beat-up truck lane) and not feel all the buzzes/creaks etc our 2020 exhibited on I-55 here in IL.

I could have easily lived with the 21" UT for the ride quality alone but I wanted to recover some of the lost efficiency, no longer live in fear of potholes and curbs, and be able to rotate them so I swapped them out for some 18s from TSportLine, that morphed the PMY into feeling even better, more like a German-tuned vehicle.

Fremont MYLRs built in October and 4680 Ys from Austin. I confirmed with a Tesla insider that my Austin MYLR Sept build did not have the new suspension part and he checked others and only found them on the 4680 builds which trickle out occasionally to Texas buyers.

Fremont MYLRs built in October and 4680 Ys from Austin. I confirmed with a Tesla insider that my Austin MYLR Sept build did not have the new suspension part and he checked others and only found them on the 4680 builds which trickle out occasionally to Texas buyers.
Mine was built in Austin on 10/09 and shipped to SOCAL. I took delivery on 10/28. I waited for over eight months. I’m just grateful.

I don't recall how previous Y drives
Remember that Big Wheel you had as a kid?

Seriously, I have a 2020 MY. Several months ago I drove a road near me that is not horrible but had a lot of patches in it so it wasn't perfectly smooth. Later that day I had occasion to ride it on my bicycle and I was struck by how similar the ride was - in general, even with the 19' wheels you clearly felt every imperfection in the road, no matter how small or minor. I ended up spending the $$$ to get the MPP coil overs that improved the suspension for me but I'm glad Tesla is putting some work into upgrading the newer versions.

Remember that Big Wheel you had as a kid?

Seriously, I have a 2020 MY. Several months ago I drove a road near me that is not horrible but had a lot of patches in it so it wasn't perfectly smooth. Later that day I had occasion to ride it on my bicycle and I was struck by how similar the ride was - in general, even with the 19' wheels you clearly felt every imperfection in the road, no matter how small or minor. I ended up spending the $$$ to get the MPP coil overs that improved the suspension for me but I'm glad Tesla is putting some work into upgrading the newer versions.
lol, okay, that's rough...

We'll see how it goes as we drive it some more. Only limited amount of seat time until I get our issues resolved by the SA.