Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener Recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the time has come to replace the 20+ year old Genie chain drive GDO. Suggestions? Recommendations? Ones to avoid? I see a some on the market that have battery backup, allow you to set a preset height to open/close to (to allow cables or pets underneath), accessories (camera, fan, speaker, retractable power cord, etc), and have an IOS app . What ones have you found work best with your Tesla or, on the flip-side, don't work so well so I should avoid?

And GO :)

My house came with a reasonably new chamberlain MyQ opener. It has an iOS app which I find very useful to check to make sure that I remembered to close the garage door, as well as opening it remotely occasionally.

It’s also worked flawlessly with my Model S (although I only open and close it manually. I haven’t tried auto open or close yet, but I don’t think that would be an issue. I can trigger it from the car from the end of the driveway)

However, I had a lot of issues with the door opener and my 2010 Prius. Apparently it uses a newer frequency or something that the homelink in the Prius didn’t support. Chamberlain sent me some sort of bridge module that was supposed to help, but it was very unreliable. I could open or close the door from the the Prius in maybe 1 out of every 3 or 4 attempts. The iOS app was very handy while I had the Prius because I could always use that if I couldn’t trigger the door from the car.

If you have homelink in another older car then you might have issues, but it’s been flawless with the Tesla.

As others have already stated, go with a belt drive for a significant noise reduction. Chamberlain seems to work pretty well with the Tesla sending a signal to it. The battery back-ups are a plus, but they're also overrated. I found this out during Hurricane Irma, as my battery back-up worked for maybe 2 days when we didn't have power, and that was with me only actually using it once.

Reactions: PJFW8
I have 3 Chamberlain’s (MyQ) battery backed up openers.
Very happy.
Installed all 3 myself (at the same time)
Pretty easy. Especially the last 2.
FYI
Liftmaster & Chamberlain are the same company.
Liftmaster brand exclusive to installers.
Chamberlain Available at LOWE’S & Home Depot & sometimes & Costco.
Also works perfectly with my 2017 MS 90D

I was in the same boat, replaced a very old Genie screw drive (sounded like a chainsaw) with a Liftmaster 8500. I really like that it mounts to the side of the roll up door instead of the middle of the garage ceiling. Very easy install and works great with the MS.

I was in the same boat, replaced a very old Genie screw drive (sounded like a chainsaw) with a Liftmaster 8500. I really like that it mounts to the side of the roll up door instead of the middle of the garage ceiling. Very easy install and works great with the MS.
I did same. It’s super quiet. Also got the battery backup.

More importantly, it enabled me to have a high lift door so I will someday be able to put a 4 post lift in the garage.

One negative - the light is separate (communication via wireless) - sometimes it misses the off command :(

I did same. It’s super quiet. Also got the battery backup.
More importantly, it enabled me to have a high lift door so I will someday be able to put a 4 post lift in the garage.
One negative - the light is separate (communication via wireless) - sometimes it misses the off command :(
I also have Liftmaster 8500 jackshaft openers on all three of my garage doors. They work great and are extremely quiet. Two of the doors were high lifted at the same time as the opener install. I installed the third myself on my standard height door because I couldn't stand the comparative noise from the conventional opener on that door.

I have a liftmaster, and it's great.
I have the belt-drive model, and it's really quiet.

I recently came across their 8500 line - which operate on the main bar that the spring is attached to - they don't directly touch the door.
https://www.liftmaster.com/for-home...battery-backup-garage-door-openers/model-8500
It's an awesome space-saving design, and you no longer have a bar down the center of your garage.
The only down side is you need to make sure your garage lights work, as you can no longer rely on the lights in the opener to light up your garage for you.

Battery back up is a mixed bag. It works, but is rarely ever needed and also costs more due to occasional battery replacements. However, if you are getting a nicer unit, it may very well have battery backup whether you want it or not.

I recommend belt drive.

One issue I had, which has hopefully be fixed either by Chamberlain or LED bulb manufacturers, is that some LED bulbs have points that aren't long enough to reach the contacts on the sockets. I had to put a small bead of solder on the contacts for the LED bulbs I had to work in it.

Coincidentally, I had a similar issue in the last couple years with AAA batteries in children's toys. Some brands had points that were not long enough to reach the contacts in some brands of children's toys. Really obnoxious. Standards need to be more rigorous. I think it was Duracell batteries that had the shorter points. IIRC, one of the affected toys is a ladybug light that shines stars onto the ceiling.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like everyone that has a Chamberlin/Liftmaster unit is pleased. I had not heard of the kind that mounts along the side wall and uses the spring bar but is a VERY interesting idea. I installed a Ryobi at one of my rental houses and my renter is very pleased thus far. Even worked well during Irma for the 2-ish days with no power. For my own use I want something that integrates with the vehicle (knows when i am approaching and when i have left) better than what i think the Ryobi can and it sounds like the Chamber/Lift lines do that. Off I go to read specs and reviews. thanks again !!!