Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand your rationalization.
It's not a rationalization, it's a reason, and I don't want to have to rely on reprogramming it when the garage door/code changes. I'd rather have a clicker I can exchange than worry about the reprogramming that might get messed up in one way or another. I'm already not happy with some of the limits on some of the things I can't change in my car, so I'm not really motivated to spend hundreds of dollars and use even more programming, simply to not have to use a 2.5" x 1.5" clicker. There are enough things I leave up to the car's computer because the benefits (i.e. the great way the car drives) are worth it. In this small case, the benefits don't seem worth the cost.

Equally, I don't understand other drivers' aversion to using a small clicker for their garage door......what's your rationalization for that?

As Jacopa says, Tesla could give a rat's ass if I use Homelink or not.......why do you? There are so many other places I'll use that money that will bring me more joy than not having to use a clicker to open the garage door.

Reactions: ArchieDale
It's not a rationalization, it's a reason, and I don't want to have to rely on reprogramming it when the garage door/code changes. I'd rather have a clicker I can exchange than worry about the reprogramming that might get messed up in one way or another. I'm already not happy with some of the limits on some of the things I can't change in my car, so I'm not really motivated to spend hundreds of dollars and use even more programming, simply to not have to use a 2.5" x 1.5" clicker. There are enough things I leave up to the car's computer because the benefits (i.e. the great way the car drives) are worth it. In this small case, the benefits don't seem worth the cost.

Equally, I don't understand other drivers' aversion to using a small clicker for their garage door......what's your rationalization for that?

As Jacopa says, Tesla could give a rat's ass if I use Homelink or not.......why do you? There are so many other places I'll use that money that will bring me more joy than not having to use a clicker to open the garage door.
You misunderstand my comments. I, like Tesla, could give a rat's ass whether you use Homelink or not.
I already gave you my 'rationalization' for not wanting a clicker in my car. Please go back and re-read my post.

I was annoyed by this missing feature as well. Then I was annoyed that the MyQ WiFi garage door opener I already had installed didn’t work with Siri. Then I found someone that created an iPhone shortcut that allows you to use Siri with MyQ without having to buy the extra HomeKit Bridge they try and make you buy. Now I just say “Hey Siri, open the garage” and it works.
Care to share details on the iPhone shortcut?

I was annoyed by this missing feature as well. Then I was annoyed that the MyQ WiFi garage door opener I already had installed didn’t work with Siri. Then I found someone that created an iPhone shortcut that allows you to use Siri with MyQ without having to buy the extra HomeKit Bridge they try and make you buy. Now I just say “Hey Siri, open the garage” and it works.
care to share that shortcut life hack?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rydyl
In every one of these threads people fail to mention that once you get Homelink installed you get the ability to use Homelink from your Tesla app under the "Controls" page.
I use this anytime we're in the bikes or in a different vehicle. A problem I run into when I return, the phone GPS does not update and the app thinks I'm to far away from the vehicle. I usually open maps and all is well. I've experimented with an app called Fake GPS. This allows you to spoof your location and always open the garage door where ever you are located.

I don’t mind the clicker sitting on my visor.
Some burglars will smash your car window to grab the visor remote, not just if you park outside your own home, but some will do so when you park your car away from home expecting that your registration will show the home address where their newly stolen opener will let them in your garage.

Reactions: ZilWin
You could purchase the Tailwind IQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller: Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller
Not got my Tesla yet but when it arrives I'm just going to move my extremely small Tailwind Sensor from my current car to my Tesla and the garage door will open automatically before in time so I can drive straight in and close automatically when I leave. Great piece of kit and would recommend it.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I have a WiFi garage door opener that’s set up w Apple HomeKit. It doesn’t work perfectly. The leaving home function especially rarely works. The arriving home can be delayed and works better approaching the house from one direction than the other. The convenience of not having to think about using the clicker and just having the garage ready sounds dreamy. I ordered it after trials of HomeKit garage door automation was inconsistent.