Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage is ready for new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I've been busy getting the garage ready for my new baby. Second EVSE is in, plus a new epoxy floor, and all new storage. All I need is a couch, tunes, and a 70" TV, and my wife might never see me again! I brought my new M3 SR home, today, and I'm pretty stoked. It still thinks it's an SR+, and I hope it stays that way long enough for me to play with autopilot a bit. Unfortunately, the floor needs a couple more days to cure, so she has to sit out in the driveway for a bit. :(

Here are the photos of the final result. The Blink is 8 years old, on a 6-50 and 40a circuit and charges at 30a. I used it charge my 2011 LEAF, my 2014 RAV4EV, and now it will be charging the new Tesla. I've pushed over 30mWh through it, and I can still access all of the charging records for all that time. Except for replacing a bad handle, it's been a happy camper and has never let me down. You'll note that it was originally placed for the LEAF, at the head of the parking space. When I got the new cord and plug, I spliced the old and new cords using the junction box on the left to bring the main cord and plug around to the driver's side of the space.

My wife will be passing on her Plug in Prius to the younger generation, and taking over the RAV. The PIP used to charge on 120v, but now I've added a new 14-50 on a 50a circuit (6AWG in conduit, so I could convert to 60a if I ever wanted to) to plug my OpenEVSE into to charge the RAV.

20190528_110108.jpg
20190608_155121.jpg
20190608_155305.jpg
20190608_155308.jpg
20190608_155314.jpg
20190608_155322.jpg
20190608_175026.jpg
20190608_175040.jpg
20190608_211316.jpg
20190608_211343.jpg

So happy for you @davewill !!! Congrats!

So how much is the SR now? (it is off menu after all) A family member was asking me for advice tonight and he was not aware the SR existed. It is no longer actually $35k is it? What is the minimum price car you can now order?

Sounds like they are going to release software soon to disable the SR+ features. :-(

Reactions: davewill
Wow that’s one nice deep garage. Nice job on the floor @davewill. Husband did ours and I helped a bit so I have a good idea of the work it takes. Due to the way the developer left our concrete floor it took a lot of work to get the concrete super clean so the epoxy adhered well and didn’t peel later. He did our 2-car garage first then our 1-car and said he’d Never do it again. You had a lot of flooring to cover and everything looks great. Something to be proud of for sure. Your neighbors will be jealous I bet!

Car looks great but will look better in your new garage. Do let it dry really well to avoid the hot tires lifting the epoxy. I think my husband might have even waited a month to be sure. What product did you use and did you add a non-skid top coat to it? The expoxy can get pretty slippery when wet otherwise. Congrats on the car!

Last edited:
@eprosenx, The base SR is now $35,900, so it still looks like $35K if you squint hard enough. :cool: It was $35,400 when I bought. This was an inventory car with a small discount on it, so I got it with the multi-coat red for $36,860. Yeah, I know they'll be downgrading it shortly, I just want to experience AP a few times before it's gone.

@SMAlset, I'd like to take credit, but I had the work done professionally. I did a two car garage at my last house, but the slab turned out to have moisture problems, and it had to be ground off. It was a nightmare. They used a grinder to rough up the entire floor, no messing around with acid washes or other cleaning methods. Yes, they did do a non-skid top coat.

• Funny
Reactions: eprosenx
Wow, that's a beautiful garage!

I'm actually currently renovating my own, and I'm doing an identical color scheme... is your wall/ceiling color pure white or does it have any undertones?
The walls and ceiling are white. It's a trick of the light that has them looking different. I thought about painting the walls either light chocolate or dark gray, but decided that I'd leave them be. I would have had to take a day off to paint in between emptying the garage and the crew starting the floor.

Cleanest Garage ever! Nice job, now is that at J1772 plug on that EVSE? Looks great, I replaced a 2011 Leaf also.

Fred
Yep. I already had both EVSEs, and even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have wanted to give up the flexibility of being able to park the cars on either side of the garage.

You have pretty much the same car setup as me!

The M3 is giving a lot of us who choose other EVs because of price the opportunity to go Tesla. My adult daughter came home and saw all this for the first time last night and said, "We aren't this fancy!"

So. I've had a bit more time with the car. It does NOT have autopilot, but does seem to have all of the other Plus features, for now. The sticker says it's a "Standard Range Plus" and shows 240 miles of range, but none of the other plus features are listed under "Standard Features". It's a shame I can't experience AP for a bit. I may try to ask for a trial like it describes here, if it doesn't happen on its own, but I have a hunch they aren't doing it any more.

The car seems to have HW 2.5 since the TeslaCam files are H.264, but I expected that. Not that it really matters, I like her a whole lot. Can't wait to park her in her new home tonight.

Full Self-Driving Capability Trial

Reactions: jjrandorin